Re: [Asatru-U] Re: Introduction

  • Judy Floyd
    Message 1 of 43 , Oct 24, 2006
      Heilsa Michael,

      I don't think so. The lore is a tool that is used to
      find out what it meant to be and can mean to us to be
      heathen. If you make it into a 'holy book' then you
      chance people making it holy, beyond debate and
      question, which of course is ridiculous. Let's take
      the Poetic Edda as an example. It was written by
      Snorri not as a guide or a preservation of the heathen
      ways, but as a preservation of a particular group of
      people's style of poetry. There are many places in it
      that are doubtful as being part of the original lore
      or they are out of place. Instead it is believed that
      Snorri himself added them or rearranged them in order
      to make the meters sound more fluid. So what would we
      be making holy? The unquestionable way of our
      ancestors(which by the way didn't exist - much of it
      was regional)? or a christian's attempt to save a
      style of poetry? Which is which? Which lore is more
      valuable? As a wife, mother and grandmother I doubt my
      choices would be the same as yours. Who would get to
      decide which lore to use? Believe me, each group or
      organization would have their own idea on that one.
      Think about it. The three subcategories - folkish,
      tribalist, universalist - of heathenism trying to
      decide who gets to decide. They would be arguing
      about it until our children were old.

      My 2 cents,

      Frith,

      Judy (who did not intend to offend anyone and hopes
      she didn't)

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • wolfraven@peoplepc.com
      Message 43 of 43 , Oct 27, 2006
        I rely on history, archeology and the Havamal to base my beliefs on. I
        have learned a lot about AsaTru and myself through the Havamal. If you
        wish to learn more about AsaTru and yourself then you might consider reading
        and meditating on the sayings of Hal. The sagas are also a good source to
        learn about the Norse and their beliefs.

        Just my two cents worth.

        WolfRaven