Re: [Asatru-U] Introduction

  • Brainwise
    Message 1 of 43 , Oct 24, 2006
      I did not see my post come through yet, so I am sending it again. I apologize if you received this twice.

      Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 06:12:39 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Brainwise <ibrainwise@...>
      Subject: Re: [Asatru-U] Introduction
      To: Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com

      Often, it is a person's rediscovery of heritage (ancestry), or simply a new found appreciation for it that leads him or her to Heathenry, a path that does indeed honor and find inspiration in the line of kinfolk. Particularly that line that extends back to our earliest ancestors, the Gods and Goddesses of the Northern Folkway.

      Other people who come to Heathenry via other routes -- such as an academic love of the literature or a desire to find a path that reflects a deeper communion with the Earth -- may not feel this strong a connection with ancestry.

      I would still encourage the latter camp to seek out information about their own ancestry. Everyone, I am sure, has at least one individual or family to whom (which) he or she can trace a fairly direct route, and of whom one can be quite proud. And simple pride in one's family line can be a tremendous boost to self-esteem, and serve as an inspiration to plan and achieve even greater good.

      Heill ok vel,

      Lissa <qibhom@...> wrote:
      What in the blue blazes could ancestry possibly have to do with
      heathenry? Or with the point of this list, which is developing an online
      curriculum for Asatru?

      Message 43 of 43 , Oct 27, 2006
        I rely on history, archeology and the Havamal to base my beliefs on. I
        have learned a lot about AsaTru and myself through the Havamal. If you
        wish to learn more about AsaTru and yourself then you might consider reading
        and meditating on the sayings of Hal. The sagas are also a good source to
        learn about the Norse and their beliefs.

        Just my two cents worth.

        WolfRaven