*De-lurk* and a question...

  • Mordant Carnival
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2006
      Hullo all! Long-time listener, first-time caller.

      I'm looking for a good Old Norse primer. I've downloaded Sweet's
      Icelandic Primer and bookmarked some online resources, obvs., but I'd
      like something in the dead-tree line. Any picks?
    • Mordant Carnival
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 22, 2006
        Anyone?
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 22, 2006
          On 6/9/06, Mordant Carnival <clare_twentytwelve@...> wrote:
          > Hullo all! Long-time listener, first-time caller.
          >
          > I'm looking for a good Old Norse primer. I've downloaded Sweet's
          > Icelandic Primer and bookmarked some online resources, obvs., but I'd
          > like something in the dead-tree line. Any picks?

          A friend says 'Gordon's "An Introduction to Old Norse" is hoary but useful.'

          --

          Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
        • Mordant Carnival
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 22, 2006
            Thank you!
          • arlie@worldash.org
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 22, 2006
              On Jun 22 2006, Manny Olds wrote:

              > On 6/9/06, Mordant Carnival <clare_twentytwelve@...> wrote:
              > > Hullo all! Long-time listener, first-time caller.
              > >
              > > I'm looking for a good Old Norse primer. I've downloaded Sweet's
              > > Icelandic Primer and bookmarked some online resources, obvs., but I'd
              > > like something in the dead-tree line. Any picks?
              >
              > A friend says 'Gordon's "An Introduction to Old Norse" is hoary but useful.'

              Michael Barnes has a 3 volume set. The first volume basically covers
              grammar etc. It's a lot easier to understand that Gordon's. Volumes 2
              and 3 are a reader and some vocabulary, if I remember right. I don't
              remember them as notably better than the equivalent section in
              Gordon's Intro.

              Note - you may have to go to amazon.co.uk to get the Barnes books, or
              direct to their publisher. Amazon.com didn't have them when I ordered
              them, but the UK amazon did.

              --
              Arlie

              (Arlie Stephens arlie@...)