Re: Here's a thread ...

  • Doug Freyburger
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2006
      heroheather wrote:

      > The pills help dig you out of the pit. Then
      > you can get to fixing the problem so that it
      > doesn't keep reoccurring.

      This assumes that the cause is not medical. Be
      *very* cautious making such an assumption. When
      the brain is ill, it resists medication. It wants
      to think it isn't the cause of the problem.

      If an event triggered the depression *and* it's
      the first or second bout, maybe an outside event
      did trigger it and handling that event will make
      the depression go away.

      But if the depression is from a chemical imbalance
      the pills aren't automatically going to be
      temporary. if it takes being permanently on
      pills, tough it out and take the pills. I'm not
      the only one on this list who'll be on thyroid
      pills the rest of my life and I don't have a
      religious issue with taking them. *But* those
      pills don't effect my brain so they don't trigger
      a defensive reaction trying to convince me that
      I don't need them either. It's easy for my and
      isn't easy for you.

      Okay, how about moving on to possible causes?
      A chemical imbalance can be from an injury, genetic,
      or whatever. One of the whatever's is dietary
      items. That's a hobby of mine that I've studied
      a lot.

      Grain causes depression in plenty of folks. So
      does dairy and pretty much any other food you've
      never suspected. Can I interest you in an isolation
      program to test that suspicion? Try going a couple
      of weeks without anything made from wheat, then
      add wheat back in and go a couple of weeks without
      anything made from corn. Corn's harder because the
      damn stuff is in so many manufactured foods. Anyways,
      I've cured an assortment of friends of chronic
      snoring by getting them to do that, and I've read
      that depression often works the same way. If
      neither grain works try a couple of weeks without
      dairy.

      This sort of isolation system is a part of Atkins.
      I followed the directions of that diet and it cured
      me of my chronic cough that I'd had my entire life.
      It took me months to realize it was the isolation
      system aspect of following the directions. It never
      made sense to me why it started with a list of allowed
      foods then had me add a couple new foods back per
      week one at a time. But doing that gave me a chance
      to tell when I started feeling worse and sure enough
      it was my first meal with a gravy made with flour.
      Bingo, a bit of experimentation proved to me that
      wheat causes my snoring and cough and such. In others
      it causes depression. Worth a try? I think so.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2006
        I thought I has corrected this once before, but it seems to not have
        taken. If I could implore the nerd-dis or nerd-alf to update the link for
        my Tectonic Plates of Asatru article under section G to:

        http://hfg.ravenbanner.com/faults.pdf

        I would greatly appreciate it.

        Thanks!

        Frith upon your house
        Karl Donaldsson
        hfg@... http://hfg.ravenbanner.com
        Check out the Happy Fat Guy Pottery Studio!
        "Would you know more, or what?"
        Get Asatru education at http://www.asatru-u.org