Re: Here's a thread ...

  • Doug Freyburger
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29 4:04 PM
      Jenn wrote:

      > I feel like, but taking a pill for being 'sad' all
      > the time, I lose honor in the eyes of the Gods. I
      > also know that depression causes all kinds of
      > irrational thoughts,

      That's the deal. When your brain is ill it tries
      to prevent treatment.

      > Is it weak to take these medications, even for a
      > little while?

      It is strong to overcome your own thoughts and take
      the pills as long as they are needed, which may be
      permenant.
    • heroheather
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2006
        Jenn,
        You've gotten really good advice from all here. We all have times when
        the world overwhelms us. If nothing else I would hope that you get that you
        are not alone in this.

        I am prone to depression myself. I learned something that helped me get
        through it and eventually left me feeling strong enough to get rid of my
        'happy pills'. Depression is anger turned inward. I know it doesn't help
        while you're in the pit. The pills help dig you out of the pit. Then you
        can get to fixing the problem so that it doesn't keep reoccurring. Don't
        worry about what others think about your need for the pills for now. It is
        truly none of their concern.

        BTW... the pills take about six weeks to really start to see the
        effects. Don't expect them to make the world rosy right away. Be patient
        with yourself and your family, and you will find that after some time has
        passed that you are different. Don't be afraid to talk to a professional
        either. They help to get the emotions out and help realize that you are
        allowed to have them. I'm sure that we can act as a support system too.

        recover well

        April
      • Doug Freyburger
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2006
          heroheather wrote:

          > The pills help dig you out of the pit. Then
          > you can get to fixing the problem so that it
          > doesn't keep reoccurring.

          This assumes that the cause is not medical. Be
          *very* cautious making such an assumption. When
          the brain is ill, it resists medication. It wants
          to think it isn't the cause of the problem.

          If an event triggered the depression *and* it's
          the first or second bout, maybe an outside event
          did trigger it and handling that event will make
          the depression go away.

          But if the depression is from a chemical imbalance
          the pills aren't automatically going to be
          temporary. if it takes being permanently on
          pills, tough it out and take the pills. I'm not
          the only one on this list who'll be on thyroid
          pills the rest of my life and I don't have a
          religious issue with taking them. *But* those
          pills don't effect my brain so they don't trigger
          a defensive reaction trying to convince me that
          I don't need them either. It's easy for my and
          isn't easy for you.

          Okay, how about moving on to possible causes?
          A chemical imbalance can be from an injury, genetic,
          or whatever. One of the whatever's is dietary
          items. That's a hobby of mine that I've studied
          a lot.

          Grain causes depression in plenty of folks. So
          does dairy and pretty much any other food you've
          never suspected. Can I interest you in an isolation
          program to test that suspicion? Try going a couple
          of weeks without anything made from wheat, then
          add wheat back in and go a couple of weeks without
          anything made from corn. Corn's harder because the
          damn stuff is in so many manufactured foods. Anyways,
          I've cured an assortment of friends of chronic
          snoring by getting them to do that, and I've read
          that depression often works the same way. If
          neither grain works try a couple of weeks without
          dairy.

          This sort of isolation system is a part of Atkins.
          I followed the directions of that diet and it cured
          me of my chronic cough that I'd had my entire life.
          It took me months to realize it was the isolation
          system aspect of following the directions. It never
          made sense to me why it started with a list of allowed
          foods then had me add a couple new foods back per
          week one at a time. But doing that gave me a chance
          to tell when I started feeling worse and sure enough
          it was my first meal with a gravy made with flour.
          Bingo, a bit of experimentation proved to me that
          wheat causes my snoring and cough and such. In others
          it causes depression. Worth a try? I think so.
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 5, 2006
            I thought I has corrected this once before, but it seems to not have
            taken. If I could implore the nerd-dis or nerd-alf to update the link for
            my Tectonic Plates of Asatru article under section G to:

            http://hfg.ravenbanner.com/faults.pdf

            I would greatly appreciate it.

            Thanks!

            Frith upon your house
            Karl Donaldsson
            hfg@... http://hfg.ravenbanner.com
            Check out the Happy Fat Guy Pottery Studio!
            "Would you know more, or what?"
            Get Asatru education at http://www.asatru-u.org