yule

  • Lynne
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 22, 2005
      so heres a question for you all..does anyone know where I can find good
      yule stories online to tell my kids, who range in age from 13 to 2 and
      a half..??
    • Malodie Anderson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
        I know this is kind of late..but would you like a good Jul ritual for
        next year?

        i have one...that I use from D.J. Conway in her book Norse Magic

        Any one interested please let me know..i have it on my computer i can
        put it in files.

        yours, Caisa_Runes
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
          On 1/1/06, Malodie Anderson <malodie_anderson@...> wrote:
          > I know this is kind of late..but would you like a good Jul ritual for
          > next year?
          >
          > i have one...that I use from D.J. Conway in her book Norse Magic
          >
          > Any one interested please let me know..i have it on my computer i can
          > put it in files.
          >
          > yours, Caisa_Runes

          Unofficial FYI: DJ Conway is not generally considered a good source
          on heathen belief and practice, although of course you can use what
          you choose.

          Speaking officially: Please do not post large extracts from works
          under copyright on our group page unless you can document that you
          have permission from the copyright-holder to do so.

          --

          Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
        • Kurt Harvilak
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
            I have a good Jul ritual, though you won't find it in any book. It was written by the Godi of our local group, the Mason-Dixon Norse Fellowship, for use this past Jul, and I would say, it was a fantastic celebration. If you're interested, let me know and I'll check with him to see if he's ok with me posting or emailing it. I try to stay away from using any rituals taken out of books, but prefer the personalization of self-written stuff. I write all of my own rituals, that way I am not limited to the wants/needs of whoever wrote the ritual in a book. I feel self-written material is much more personally powerful and has more meaning for the individual/group using it.

            Kurt Harvilak

            Manny Olds <oldsma@...> wrote:
            On 1/1/06, Malodie Anderson <malodie_anderson@...> wrote:
            > I know this is kind of late..but would you like a good Jul ritual for
            > next year?
            >
            > i have one...that I use from D.J. Conway in her book Norse Magic
            >
            > Any one interested please let me know..i have it on my computer i can
            > put it in files.
            >
            > yours, Caisa_Runes

            Unofficial FYI: DJ Conway is not generally considered a good source
            on heathen belief and practice, although of course you can use what
            you choose.

            Speaking officially: Please do not post large extracts from works
            under copyright on our group page unless you can document that you
            have permission from the copyright-holder to do so.

            --

            Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA

            Religious education Beyond belief Jehovah witness beliefs

          • Malodie Anderson
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
              Sure that sounds good...i haven't written any of my own yet...for I was
              Eclectic..and still partially am.
              yours, Caisa_Runes
            • Malodie Anderson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
                Good advice..but she is very insightful on the names of the Norse Gods
                and Goddesses..and her Tarot Cards are very beautiful..and so smack in
                your face honest.

                Do any of you have your own set of runes that you made yourself? I do
                I made mine out of those marble pebbles that you get a in a bag from
                Micheal's/Walmart. I used gold and silver guilding pens on them to put
                the runes on.

                My other set is Red Goddess shaped ones. They came in a little leather
                pouch.

                yours, Caisa_Runes
              • Kurt Harvilak

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 7, 2006
                      cecil corder wrote:
                      > I too am getting ready to start making my own runes. I have been
                      > trying to find an ash tree to make them from but I can't seem to find
                      > one any where. A person needs to make their own runes from som
                      > natural source, such as a tree or maybe even stones from a river bed.
                      > And I believe that runes should be carved into the surface of the
                      > material taht you are using so it stays for one and two it engraves
                      > and instills the runes power into that object.
                      >
                      > In Frith, Cecil

                      Hm -- we seem to have two mailing lists going on in parallel here. No
                      matter...

                      Going from a historical basis, we've only got the most slender evidence
                      for the use of runes in divination: there's a quote from a Roman gent
                      named Tacitus about the use of "slips of fruitwood", but that's, well,
                      it. We've got a lot more archaeological and literary evidence for
                      spells, inscriptions of all flavors (including raunchy graffiti),
                      sigils, etc. Not that I don't have a set rattling in my purse, and a
                      program on my Palm pilot--I do. They do *work*, but I know (and you
                      should know) that the historical basis for any such is, at best, flimsy
                      and circumstantial, as old-school heathens of the current revival reckon
                      such things.

                      So, any advice about what to make runes from isn't going to have much of
                      a historical or literary basis. Moreover, the original course of study
                      at http://www.asatru-u.org/ , emphasizes the "meat" of Asatru--the
                      history, the literature, and the spiritual practice--over the "gravy" of
                      Asatru--and by "gravy" I mean, primarily, the magical applications. In
                      the long term, this is very much the right emphasis to take!

                      *But*, riding circuit through conventions, workshops, and on e-lists as
                      I do, *I* know that it's that "gravy", especially the runes, that pulls
                      people in, like a barker at a sideshow. The beginner's course doesn't do
                      a good job at uniting the content that sustains with the shiny things
                      that draws people in -- perhaps we should.

                      I would recommend to anyone who wants to talk about studying runes that
                      they keep that "meat" in mind while chasing the gravy around. So:

                      I would definitely say that it's best to make your own set of runes,
                      but--and this is the important bit--don't do them all at one go.

                      Rather, take your time. Study each one, see what everyone else has to
                      say about it on the several websites and in the many books. Learn the
                      shape, learn the sound, think how the concept it embodies worked for the
                      pre-conversion folks who thought it was important to write about, and
                      how that works for you, as a modern person, here, now, and today. Each
                      of these *means* something, and they're not surface things, but concepts
                      with breadth and depth, worthy of some time and study.

                      Don't, in any case, do more than one rune in a week this way: you need
                      to pay *attention*. Odin only got away with taking them all up in nine
                      days by dying for them, nobody else gets off so easy!

                      But before you do any of this, choose your material. If you're not
                      terribly handy, especially with engraving tools, I wouldn't suggest
                      stone or glass for your first set, but rather wood, with an icepick or a
                      woodburning tool to make the marks. Don't feel particularly bound to any
                      one kind of wood before you start; while there's plenty of Germanic
                      magical significance in ash, elm, oak, yew, et al, it is also fit and
                      proper to find an appropriate tree native to where you are, or where you
                      were born, and work that, instead. My first set were of redwood, which
                      is terribly Californian but they suit me.

                      Oh, and a word on yew: every part of it is poisonous except the flesh of
                      the berries. This includes the sawdust, this includes sitting in a yew
                      grove on a hot, still day. I wouldn't recommend yew for your first set,
                      but I *would* recommend a softwood; they're easier to carve. You can
                      rough the shapes in in pencil and hack them out with an icepick, or pick
                      up a woodburning tool (for $20 you can get a nice one with lots of
                      interesting accessories). None of these things will bite you if you're
                      reasonably careful, even if you're convinced you're hopelessly non-handy.

                      I would also recommend gathering your own branch and sawing slices (or
                      having someone saw them off for you), and that that branch should be
                      significant to you in some way. Note that I said "gathering", as that
                      makes it more likely you'll get a fairly dry piece of wood, and in any
                      case you should let your stick dry for a month or few before going at it
                      with a saw. However, if the thought of all that makes you worry that
                      you'll take a finger off, and you haven't any handy friends near to
                      hand, then any arts & crafts or woodworking store will be happy to sell
                      you a bunch of identical wooden discs, tiles, or similar. I wouldn't go
                      with anything less than 1/4" (1 cm) thickness, though; it'll be brittle
                      and fragile.

                      If you're really strapped for cash, screw all that and get a roll of
                      pennies and a jar of nail polish. Or pick apart your old Scrabble set
                      and use the English letters that have runic equivalents. Get twenty-four
                      *things*, and something to write on them all in.

                      Once you have all that together, as you're studying the Rune of the Week
                      (month, etc), pick a time when you can concentrate on this--preferably
                      (if not at all historically) a Wednesday, as that's Odin's Day and runes
                      are his thing.

                      Concentrate on the rune, and only the rune, as you lay it on. Chanting
                      it is helpful.

                      *That's* how you make a set of runes. Slowly, carefully, with intent at
                      every step. YOu learn the runes, take them up, they get into you, and as
                      you learn them you see how the culture they came from was put together,
                      and how it, in turn, sired the one we live in today.

                      As for reddening, which is to say bleeding on them, I believe you
                      should... eventually. That's an investment and a committment, one you
                      shouldn't make until you know more about what you're getting into and
                      what you're binding yourself to.

                      *When* you choose to bleed on your runes, be smart. Yes, your knife
                      could do the job, but it's not necessarily clean unless you sterlize it
                      -- and you. And, well, is it sharp? And how squeamish *are* you?

                      For $20 and a trip to your drugstore, there's an answer to all of this.
                      At the pharmacist counter of your drugstore (assuming the US here),
                      available without a prescription, are diabetic lancets and the tool to
                      use them. These are sterile, one-use sharps that come in very large
                      packages so you can screw up several times. You can also get a
                      spring-loaded pen-shaped tool to do the actual jabbing. I wouldn't
                      recommend the "Ultra-Fine" needles: the Fine ones will hurt a bit more,
                      but on the other hand, you'll have to poke fewer holes in your fingers!

                      In any case, make sure to drink a lot of water that day (preferably also
                      the day before). Before you start, *wash your hands*. Soap and *warm*
                      water are necessary, anti-bacterial soap is not (anti-bacterial soap is
                      bad for you, but that's another rant). Soap, obviously, gets the site
                      clean, but the warm water will encourage blood flow to your fingers, and
                      that's obviously important. I also found it useful to swing my arms in
                      big circles to force the blood down there, and to massage my hands to
                      really *really* get it down there, but I was using the stupid Ultra Fine
                      needles and I have thick skin. So.

                      If you're using the lancets, I would suggest the side of your finger
                      rather than the front. READ THE DIRECTIONS if you got the spring-loaded
                      jabbing tool.

                      Finally, while concentrating on the rune... strike.

                      Get what you need to fill in the lines on the rune. Lancets make such
                      small holes that you might not even need to bandage your finger, but
                      once it stops bleeding, wash your hands again.

                      Congratulations, you've reddened a rune!

                      Now, really, wash your hands. Then, *please*, properly dispose of that
                      biohazard-contaminated sharp, known more socially as the spent lancet.

                      -- Lorrie
                    • clifford knutson