Re: Digest Number 446

  • airdragon2
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 30, 2005
      --- In Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com, <h.jezreell@v...> wrote:

      > on 30/10/05 12:05 PM, Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      >
      > > As many of you may, or may not know, Stav is the authentic Northern
      > > European Mind-Body-Sprirt System (kind of like Western Tai-Chi in
      some
      > > aspects)
      >
      > Is there any actual evidence for this? I would love to see it, if
      there is.

      Well we are talking about a time when religion and often fighting were
      a big part of daily life. So I can certainly imagine the two combining
      especially with Thor being central to both sides of the social
      equation. And I'm fairly certain I have read some documentation to
      that affect but don't remember where.

      As for the lineage thing, very doubtful it goes back to the original
      system. We can thank the Christians for much of the lost cultural
      knowledge in that area. Of course, much heathen knowledge survived
      into the 1500's or later in certain isolated areas so it is certainly
      possible. That is not to say that it isn't based on the original
      system. Even the Jews had a period where they didn't know they were
      Jews or even had a holy book. That is in "Kings" somewhere.
      Interesting book if you read it real
      sloooow.

      There's my two cents for what it is worth.

      Later Brad
    • Grainne Gormlaith
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 7, 2005
        Hail!
        I am a new member here and justed wanted to add that I had read
        about stav, awhile back and I practice the runic yoga positions
        daily.
        Grainne

        > Hey, Rick,
        >
        > > Without actually looking at and trying the system, many of your
        > > criticisms are a bit off-center- note: I do not say they are not
        > > warranted or apt, but if you look at the content you may reserve
        > > judgment on the points that seem to bother you most.
        >
        > You are right, I haven't done more than read a Stav website about
        5 years ago,
        > which left me in hysterical giggles. And we all know how much I
        hate people
        > seeing me giggle.
        >
        > > >As for Germanic based stuff meaning it is somehow authentic,
        that would
        > > make Bonanza dubbed into German authentic.
        > >
        > > And so goes Asatru, too, then, eh?
        >
        > Yes, actually. Most of what we do is made up, and we'd do well to
        remember
        > it, and where we stole the ideas from in the first place.
        >
        > > I never said authentic. Your
        > > stumbling block is not based on knowledge of Stav, but rather on
        > > past experiences with kooks. Fair enough for you, but not for me
        > > this time. I find it a lot less trouble to believe '44th jarl of
        > > family' than Betty had cake and cookies with Thor. I am the 44th
        > > direct descendent of my father 43 times removed.
        > > (Did I count right?) But that part doesn't really matter to me-
        it
        > > did before I learned more, but it doesn't now. You don't know
        Dirk,
        > > but you do me. I say the system has value to some people and
        that
        > > there is little that contradicts what is known of Germanic lore,
        > > history, etc. A Germanic tai chi is, IMO, a very apt description.
        >
        > *shrug* Still sounds like bullocks to me, but I've no objection
        to Stav being
        > listed in the course, in part because new folks need to make their
        own
        > decisions (and we are in the business of providing information,
        not criticism)
        > and because it is a slippery slope when you start deleting groups
        based on
        > wackiness. By the time we got done, there wouldn't be any groups
        left.

        > They make a fam trad claim. Fam trad in general is laughable.
        But, hey, if
        > they don't mind people giggling, why should I care?
        >
        > > I doubt anyone can 'prove' much of anything about the past
        beliefs
        > > of the Germanic peoples. If evidence cannot be agreed on, it is
        > > likely that such is not provable fact, but rather supposition
        and
        > > wishful thinking- or else UPG whose quality is judged by the
        > > reputation of the reporter.
        >
        > Which is fine. UPG is great. Call it UPG. Reconstruction based
        on tenuous
        > sources is great. We do it all the time. Make your footnotes and
        prepare to
        > defend your logic.
        >
        > Germanic tai-chi? Yeah, right. Great if it works for you (and,
        Rick, that
        > you say it isn't bs is the only thing I've heard that makes it
        remotely
        > interesting, since I do trust your judgement). But I'd take
        Germanic flower
        > arranging, based on ancient Japanese flower arranging, more
        seriously.

        > > So there :)!
        >
        > I'm wounded! <g>
        >
        > [And, I should talk, sitting here at work in an incredibly
        historically
        > inaccurate Viking costume, featuring, among other things, a pair
        of Uggs and
        > horns on my fabric helmet. At least my cloak hides the cell
        phone.]

        > > This would be more fun in person so we could give each other
        > > dramatic looks.
        >
        > Oh, yes. This really isn't the place to argue about the
        percentage of
        > nuttiness any group has. Perhaps we can continue this at Yule?
        >
        > Be well,
        > Lissa

      • Hugh Long
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 7, 2005
          Good to hear!

          I love doing the runes stances....it's something
          that's so easy to do, I have a hard time finding an
          excuse to skip them, like I might with other
          excercise.

          My wife has finally started doing them with me, and is
          really anjoying them.

          One great benefit for me, is that when I inhale, and
          bend over to do the Ur stance, my back cracks like I
          pay the chiropracter to do, and feels great! Also,
          Stav stances are wonderful for improving balance.

          We've now published a guide to doing the stances
          online for anyone that's interested.

          http://part-time-projects.com/Stav/content/view/169/51/

          --- Grainne Gormlaith <grainnegormlaith@...>

          Hugh B. Long, MSc., PMP
          http://www.stav-usa.com The Northern European Mind-Body-Spirit System

        • Nathan Pinkerton
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 8, 2005
            On 11/7/05, Hugh Long <hugh_b_long@...> wrote:
            > We've now published a guide to doing the stances
            > online for anyone that's interested.
            >
            > http://part-time-projects.com/Stav/content/view/169/51/

            that is cool... although, do you know if anyone has done one with the
            Elder Futhark?

            Nathan

            --
            If, at first, you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.
          • Hugh Long
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 8, 2005
              Actually I do...there's a guy named Tyrsson in the Odinic Rite. He published the first 8 stances in the Last OR magazine, and will publish the other 16 over the next year....

              If you go onto the Odinic Rite Yahoo group you can contact him there.

              Nathan Pinkerton <npinkerton@...> wrote:
              On 11/7/05, Hugh Long <hugh_b_long@...> wrote:
              > We've now published a guide to doing the stances
              > online for anyone that's interested.
              >
              > http://part-time-projects.com/Stav/content/view/169/51/

              that is cool... although, do you know if anyone has done one with the
              Elder Futhark?

              Nathan

              --
              If, at first, you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

              Religious education Beyond belief Jehovah witness beliefs

              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 8, 2005
                On 11/8/05, Hugh Long <hugh_b_long@...> wrote:
                > Actually I do...there's a guy named Tyrsson in the Odinic Rite. He published the first 8 stances in the Last OR magazine, and will publish the other 16 over the next year....
                >
                > If you go onto the Odinic Rite Yahoo group you can contact him there.

                I did a search on the yahoo groups website, and I went to the Odinic
                Rite website, and I was unable to find the yahoo group for them either
                place.

                Nathan

                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                  I enjoyed the website! I am planning on signing up for the Ice and
                  Fire USA membership.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                    Try the website Runes Alphabet of Mystery
                    http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/index.html
                    Then scroll down to the links,
                    Stadhagaldr - Runic Yoga http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/stadha.html
                    and Stáv - Runic Martial Arts http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/stav.html

                    --- In Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Pinkerton <npinkerton@g...>

                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                      Yes, I love that site! Tons of great info.

                      Unfortunatly his links to the Stav community are out
                      of date and many are broken. But the info is great.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                        Grainne, we'd love to have you!

                        Hope you can make the spring seminar in April.

                        Hugh

                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                          I had hoped this thread would pass on its own.

                          Asatru-U's purpose has been fulfilled. Perhaps it is time to take this
                          thread to a Stav site?

                          Rick
                        • Hugh Long
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                            no problem...

                            --- "Rick A. Riedlinger" <heathensailor@...>

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                              On 11/9/05, Rick A. Riedlinger <heathensailor@...> wrote:
                              > I had hoped this thread would pass on its own.
                              >
                              > Asatru-U's purpose has been fulfilled. Perhaps it is time to take this
                              > thread to a Stav site?

                              Perhaps someone could post a summary here of the information and links
                              that we have seen that would be suitable for dropping into an Asa-U
                              document.

                              --

                              Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA