Re: [Asatru-U] Digest Number 446

    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 30, 2005
      >I disagree. But, I haven't met the person in question, so I'll reserve
      public judgement.

      Hi Lissa-

      Well, I've gone after a few family trads in the past few years and I am in
      agreement with you. I also never met the man but Dirk did and he was quite
      sceptical. There is no more reason to disregard the system untested than
      there is to disregard heathenry because it is not the same it was hundreds
      of years ago. This is not secret knowledge, previously unknown, but rather
      it's just the simple arts of living in a rural society.

      And the point is, it doesn't matter. The system is based on one of the
      Germanic cultures. It can be an exercise form, a martial art, a way of
      healing or a way of life. I gave up on it because I could not do the
      exercises - the stances- on boats. I have thought about pulling out the
      video tape I have and starting again.

      >> We are in the wrong religion for proving things :).
      >I disagree.

      I'll take that bet- and spot you points.

      Have a good night!

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 30, 2005
        Hey, Rick,

        Well, not the first time we've argued <g>.

        > >I disagree. But, I haven't met the person in question, so I'll reserve
        > public judgement.

        > Well, I've gone after a few family trads in the past few years and I am in
        > agreement with you. I also never met the man but Dirk did and he was quite
        > sceptical. There is no more reason to disregard the system untested than
        > there is to disregard heathenry because it is not the same it was hundreds
        > of years ago. This is not secret knowledge, previously unknown, but rather
        > it's just the simple arts of living in a rural society.

        Dirk is the kinsman of my kinswoman, but that doesn't mean I trust him,
        not having met him, either.

        Just because my family have been teachers for 4 generations or more
        doesn't mean I run around claiming to be a teacher, based on tradition.
        Nor is it simple to live in a rural society. I'm a city girl - I'd
        probably try to churn butter, and end up with pig feed.

        > And the point is, it doesn't matter. The system is based on one of the
        > Germanic cultures. It can be an exercise form, a martial art, a way of
        > healing or a way of life. I gave up on it because I could not do the
        > exercises - the stances- on boats. I have thought about pulling out the
        > video tape I have and starting again.

        If you claim unbroken lineage back to Thormumble from Teutonwald, it
        matters. Now, if you claim you took a bunch of good, useful stuff from
        bunches of places, with footnotes and proper credit where credit is due,
        cool. We've certainly got holes to fill in.

        As for Germanic based stuff meaning it is somehow authentic, that would
        make Bonanza dubbed into German authentic. Or Kurt May. Or we can toss
        sauerkraut on pizza, and have authentic Germanic pizza. Or claim that
        because Richard Simmons had a Germanic first name, his form of aerobics
        is obviously tapping into the Germanic oversoul, and doing his tapes
        will result in a religious experience.

        > >> We are in the wrong religion for proving things :).
        > >I disagree.
        >
        > I'll take that bet- and spot you points.

        And neither of us will win, because we can't agree on the evidence <g>.
        Which is as it should be. Too much agreement leads to nasty things.

        > Have a good night!

        Same to you and Sue!

        There is nothing more conducive to the destruction of a nation,
        whether it be republic or monarchy, than the lack of men of
        wisdom or intellect.

        John Cantacuzenus
      • airdragon2
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 30, 2005
          --- In Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com, <h.jezreell@v...> wrote:

          > on 30/10/05 12:05 PM, Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          >
          > > As many of you may, or may not know, Stav is the authentic Northern
          > > European Mind-Body-Sprirt System (kind of like Western Tai-Chi in
          some
          > > aspects)
          >
          > Is there any actual evidence for this? I would love to see it, if
          there is.

          Well we are talking about a time when religion and often fighting were
          a big part of daily life. So I can certainly imagine the two combining
          especially with Thor being central to both sides of the social
          equation. And I'm fairly certain I have read some documentation to
          that affect but don't remember where.

          As for the lineage thing, very doubtful it goes back to the original
          system. We can thank the Christians for much of the lost cultural
          knowledge in that area. Of course, much heathen knowledge survived
          into the 1500's or later in certain isolated areas so it is certainly
          possible. That is not to say that it isn't based on the original
          system. Even the Jews had a period where they didn't know they were
          Jews or even had a holy book. That is in "Kings" somewhere.
          Interesting book if you read it real
          sloooow.

          There's my two cents for what it is worth.

          Later Brad
        • airdragon2
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 30, 2005

            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 31, 2005
              Hi Lissa,

              Without actually looking at and trying the system, many of your criticisms
              are a bit off-center- note: I do not say they are not warranted or apt, but
              if you look at the content you may reserve judgment on the points that seem
              to bother you most.

              >As for Germanic based stuff meaning it is somehow authentic, that would
              make Bonanza dubbed into German authentic.

              And so goes Asatru, too, then, eh? I never said authentic. Your stumbling
              block is not based on knowledge of Stav, but rather on past experiences with
              kooks. Fair enough for you, but not for me this time. I find it a lot less
              trouble to believe '44th jarl of a family' than Betty had cake and cookies
              with Thor. I am the 44th direct descendent of my father 43 times removed.
              (Did I count right?) But that part doesn't really matter to me- it did
              before I learned more, but it doesn't now. You don't know Dirk, but you do
              me. I say the system has value to some people and that there is little that
              contradicts what is known of Germanic lore, history, etc. A Germanic tai chi
              is, IMO, a very apt description.

              I doubt anyone can 'prove' much of anything about the past beliefs of the
              Germanic peoples. If evidence cannot be agreed on, it is likely that such is
              not provable fact, but rather supposition and wishful thinking- or else UPG
              whose quality is judged by the reputation of the reporter.

              So there :)!

              This would be more fun in person so we could give each other dramatic looks.

              Best to both,

              Rick
            • Hugh Long
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 31, 2005
                It's interesting to see the reaction to Stav's claimed
                lineage. I was dubious at first, as I assumed the
                whole system was being touted as original. Only the
                core was passed down - rune stances & 5 basic staff
                drills, as well as a few other disciplines. But, as
                I've posted before, even if it was all fiction, I
                wouldn't care, its a solid system that works ofr many
                people.

                Alot of the Martial components have been revived and
                other bits integrated into Stav from Japanese systems
                -Ivar spent 14 years studying In Japan with the goal
                of bringing material back to rejuvinate Stav.

                If Stav was some kind of money grabbing system I would
                be concerned, but all the people I know are truly
                great people who believe in the Art and nobody is
                getting rich teaching Stav.

                Graham Butcher, one of Ivar's original 4 students,
                just left my house in Virginia after spending 10 days
                here teaching myself and 2 other students. I had
                arranged a seminar, and tried to get enough people to
                cover his airfare, expenses etc. but we didn't even
                cover his flight, and he came anyway, at his own
                expense. And he took over a week off his work! He
                wanted to make sure that interested people in Stav had
                an opportunity to learn. I know very few people who
                would do that.

                Anyway, I hope I didn't cause too much of a ruckus
                with this posting.

                I do appreciate all the support and feedback though.

                Hugh Long

                --- airdragon2 <airdragon2@...> wrote:

                > --- In Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com, <h.jezreell@v...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > on 30/10/05 12:05 PM, Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > > As many of you may, or may not know, Stav is the
                > authentic Northern
                > > > European Mind-Body-Sprirt System (kind of like
                > Western Tai-Chi in
                > some
                > > > aspects)
                > >
                > > Is there any actual evidence for this? I would
                > love to see it, if
                > there is.
                >
                > Well we are talking about a time when religion and
                > often fighting were
                > a big part of daily life. So I can certainly imagine
                > the two combining
                > especially with Thor being central to both sides of
                > the social
                > equation. And I'm fairly certain I have read some
                > documentation to
                > that affect but don't remember where.
                >
                > As for the lineage thing, very doubtful it goes back
                > to the original
                > system. We can thank the Christians for much of the
                > lost cultural
                > knowledge in that area. Of course, much heathen
                > knowledge survived
                > into the 1500's or later in certain isolated areas
                > so it is certainly
                > possible. That is not to say that it isn't based on
                > the original
                > system. Even the Jews had a period where they didn't
                > know they were
                > Jews or even had a holy book. That is in "Kings"
                > somewhere.
                > Interesting book if you read it real
                > sloooow.
                >
                > There's my two cents for what it is worth.
                >
                > Later Brad

                Hugh B. Long, MSc., PMP
                http://www.stav-usa.com The Northern European Mind-Body-Spirit System

                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 31, 2005
                  Hey, Rick,

                  > Without actually looking at and trying the system, many of your
                  > criticisms are a bit off-center- note: I do not say they are not
                  > warranted or apt, but if you look at the content you may reserve
                  > judgment on the points that seem to bother you most.

                  You are right, I haven't done more than read a Stav website about 5 years ago,
                  which left me in hysterical giggles. And we all know how much I hate people
                  seeing me giggle.

                  > >As for Germanic based stuff meaning it is somehow authentic, that would
                  > make Bonanza dubbed into German authentic.
                  >
                  > And so goes Asatru, too, then, eh?

                  Yes, actually. Most of what we do is made up, and we'd do well to remember
                  it, and where we stole the ideas from in the first place.

                  > I never said authentic. Your
                  > stumbling block is not based on knowledge of Stav, but rather on
                  > past experiences with kooks. Fair enough for you, but not for me
                  > this time. I find it a lot less trouble to believe '44th jarl of a
                  > family' than Betty had cake and cookies with Thor. I am the 44th
                  > direct descendent of my father 43 times removed.
                  > (Did I count right?) But that part doesn't really matter to me- it
                  > did before I learned more, but it doesn't now. You don't know Dirk,
                  > but you do me. I say the system has value to some people and that
                  > there is little that contradicts what is known of Germanic lore,
                  > history, etc. A Germanic tai chi is, IMO, a very apt description.

                  *shrug* Still sounds like bullocks to me, but I've no objection to Stav being
                  listed in the course, in part because new folks need to make their own
                  decisions (and we are in the business of providing information, not criticism)
                  and because it is a slippery slope when you start deleting groups based on
                  wackiness. By the time we got done, there wouldn't be any groups left.

                  They make a fam trad claim. Fam trad in general is laughable. But, hey, if
                  they don't mind people giggling, why should I care?

                  > I doubt anyone can 'prove' much of anything about the past beliefs
                  > of the Germanic peoples. If evidence cannot be agreed on, it is
                  > likely that such is not provable fact, but rather supposition and
                  > wishful thinking- or else UPG whose quality is judged by the
                  > reputation of the reporter.

                  Which is fine. UPG is great. Call it UPG. Reconstruction based on tenuous
                  sources is great. We do it all the time. Make your footnotes and prepare to
                  defend your logic.

                  Germanic tai-chi? Yeah, right. Great if it works for you (and, Rick, that
                  you say it isn't bs is the only thing I've heard that makes it remotely
                  interesting, since I do trust your judgement). But I'd take Germanic flower
                  arranging, based on ancient Japanese flower arranging, more seriously.

                  > So there :)!

                  I'm wounded! <g>

                  [And, I should talk, sitting here at work in an incredibly historically
                  inaccurate Viking costume, featuring, among other things, a pair of Uggs and
                  horns on my fabric helmet. At least my cloak hides the cell phone.]

                  > This would be more fun in person so we could give each other
                  > dramatic looks.

                  Oh, yes. This really isn't the place to argue about the percentage of
                  nuttiness any group has. Perhaps we can continue this at Yule?

                • Grainne Gormlaith
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 7, 2005
                    Hail!
                    I am a new member here and justed wanted to add that I had read
                    about stav, awhile back and I practice the runic yoga positions
                    daily.
                    Grainne

> [...]
                    remotely
                    > interesting, since I do trust your judgement). But I'd take
                    Germanic flower
                    > arranging, based on ancient Japanese flower arranging, more
                    seriously.

                    > > So there :)!
                    >
                    > I'm wounded! <g>
                    >
                    > [And, I should talk, sitting here at work in an incredibly
                    historically
                    > inaccurate Viking costume, featuring, among other things, a pair
                    of Uggs and
                    > horns on my fabric helmet. At least my cloak hides the cell
                    phone.]

                    > > This would be more fun in person so we could give each other
                    > > dramatic looks.
                    >
                    > Oh, yes. This really isn't the place to argue about the
                    percentage of
                    > nuttiness any group has. Perhaps we can continue this at Yule?

                  • Hugh Long
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 7, 2005
                      Good to hear!

                      I love doing the runes stances....it's something
                      that's so easy to do, I have a hard time finding an
                      excuse to skip them, like I might with other
                      excercise.

                      My wife has finally started doing them with me, and is
                      really anjoying them.

                      One great benefit for me, is that when I inhale, and
                      bend over to do the Ur stance, my back cracks like I
                      pay the chiropracter to do, and feels great! Also,
                      Stav stances are wonderful for improving balance.

                      We've now published a guide to doing the stances
                      online for anyone that's interested.

                      http://part-time-projects.com/Stav/content/view/169/51/

                      --- Grainne Gormlaith <grainnegormlaith@...>

                    • Nathan Pinkerton
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 8, 2005
                        On 11/7/05, Hugh Long <hugh_b_long@...> wrote:
                        > We've now published a guide to doing the stances
                        > online for anyone that's interested.
                        >
                        > http://part-time-projects.com/Stav/content/view/169/51/

                        that is cool... although, do you know if anyone has done one with the
                        Elder Futhark?

                        Nathan

                        --
                        If, at first, you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.
                      • Hugh Long
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 8, 2005
                          Actually I do...there's a guy named Tyrsson in the Odinic Rite. He published the first 8 stances in the Last OR magazine, and will publish the other 16 over the next year....

                          If you go onto the Odinic Rite Yahoo group you can contact him there.

                          Nathan Pinkerton <npinkerton@...> wrote:
                          On 11/7/05, Hugh Long <hugh_b_long@...> wrote:
                          > We've now published a guide to doing the stances
                          > online for anyone that's interested.
                          >
                          > http://part-time-projects.com/Stav/content/view/169/51/

                          that is cool... although, do you know if anyone has done one with the
                          Elder Futhark?

                          Nathan

                          --
                          If, at first, you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

                          Religious education Beyond belief Jehovah witness beliefs

                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 8, 2005
                            On 11/8/05, Hugh Long <hugh_b_long@...> wrote:
                            > Actually I do...there's a guy named Tyrsson in the Odinic Rite. He published the first 8 stances in the Last OR magazine, and will publish the other 16 over the next year....
                            >
                            > If you go onto the Odinic Rite Yahoo group you can contact him there.

                            I did a search on the yahoo groups website, and I went to the Odinic
                            Rite website, and I was unable to find the yahoo group for them either
                            place.

                            Nathan

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                              I enjoyed the website! I am planning on signing up for the Ice and
                              Fire USA membership.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                Try the website Runes Alphabet of Mystery
                                http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/index.html
                                Then scroll down to the links,
                                Stadhagaldr - Runic Yoga http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/stadha.html
                                and Stáv - Runic Martial Arts http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/stav.html

                                --- In Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Pinkerton <npinkerton@g...>

                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                  Yes, I love that site! Tons of great info.

                                  Unfortunatly his links to the Stav community are out
                                  of date and many are broken. But the info is great.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                    Grainne, we'd love to have you!

                                    Hope you can make the spring seminar in April.

                                    Hugh

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                      I had hoped this thread would pass on its own.

                                      Asatru-U's purpose has been fulfilled. Perhaps it is time to take this
                                      thread to a Stav site?

                                      Rick
                                    • Hugh Long
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                        no problem...

                                        --- "Rick A. Riedlinger" <heathensailor@...>

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                          On 11/9/05, Rick A. Riedlinger <heathensailor@...> wrote:
                                          > I had hoped this thread would pass on its own.
                                          >
                                          > Asatru-U's purpose has been fulfilled. Perhaps it is time to take this
                                          > thread to a Stav site?

                                          Perhaps someone could post a summary here of the information and links
                                          that we have seen that would be suitable for dropping into an Asa-U
                                          document.

                                          --

                                          Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA