Re: Fwd: Niflheim

  • Ben
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
      I've always read 11 rivers flowed from Niflheim

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 17, 2005
        I have read many different accounts, but the one I usually refer to
        is:
        Nine rivers flowed out of Niflheim from the bubbling fountain well
        called Vergelmir (roaring cauldron), the source of all rivers of all
        times; Svol, Gunnthra, Fjorm, Fimbulthul, Slidr, Hrid, Sylgr, Ylgr
        and Vid. They mix with the poison from the Fountain Elivagar and
        semi freeze into a poisonous scum forming black icy water. Some of
        the clear water ran off into Ginnungagap where it froze and started
        to fill the emptiness. When the ice spread drew near enough to the
        heat of Muspell it began to melt. So it names nine rivers, and some
        count the sourse and the other fountain Elivager, making 11.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 17, 2005
          >I wasn't sure what the official number

          A wise man told me of the futility of looking for consistency in mythology.
          As well as being a fruitless task, it ensured missing the point.

          Advice I keep forgetting to take, but which I am repeatedly forced to return
          to.

          Best regards,