Fwd: Niflheim

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Noah Halvorson <thor33555@...>
      Date: Apr 1, 2005 12:58 AM
      Subject: Niflheim
      To: coordinator@...

      Hi, I was doing some research on Niflheim, and some places list it as
      having 10 rivers, while others say 11 and even 12. I know the Snorri
      Sturlusson's Edda lists 11, but I wasn't sure what the official number
      was. If you could help me out in anyway, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

      ~Noah

      --

      Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Greenbelt, Maryland, USA
    • Ben
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
        I've always read 11 rivers flowed from Niflheim

        > Hi, I was doing some research on Niflheim, and some places list it
        as
        > having 10 rivers, while others say 11 and even 12. I know the
        Snorri
        > Sturlusson's Edda lists 11, but I wasn't sure what the official
        number
        > was. If you could help me out in anyway, I'd greatly appreciate
        it. Thanks!

        > ~Noah
        >

        > --
        >
        > Manny Olds (oldsma@p...) of Greenbelt, Maryland, USA
      • Anthony W. McPherson
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 17, 2005
          I have read many different accounts, but the one I usually refer to
          is:
          Nine rivers flowed out of Niflheim from the bubbling fountain well
          called Vergelmir (roaring cauldron), the source of all rivers of all
          times; Svol, Gunnthra, Fjorm, Fimbulthul, Slidr, Hrid, Sylgr, Ylgr
          and Vid. They mix with the poison from the Fountain Elivagar and
          semi freeze into a poisonous scum forming black icy water. Some of
          the clear water ran off into Ginnungagap where it froze and started
          to fill the emptiness. When the ice spread drew near enough to the
          heat of Muspell it began to melt. So it names nine rivers, and some
          count the sourse and the other fountain Elivager, making 11.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 17, 2005
            >I wasn't sure what the official number

            A wise man told me of the futility of looking for consistency in mythology.
            As well as being a fruitless task, it ensured missing the point.

            Advice I keep forgetting to take, but which I am repeatedly forced to return
            to.

            Best regards,