Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [Asatru-U] Hello

Expand Messages
  • Sido
    Sido is a Frisian name. And I am named after my grandfather, he was called Sietze. Greetings, Sido ... From: Philip Castle To:
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 15 12:56 AM
    • 0 Attachment
      Sido is a Frisian name. And I am named after my grandfather, he was called
      Sietze.

      Greetings, Sido
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Philip Castle" <philipc@...>
      To: <Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 12:42 AM
      Subject: Re: [Asatru-U] Hello



      Thats great Sido!

      I recommend that you take a read through some of the old posts in the
      archive and then introduce yourself. If there's anything that you want
      to ask then please do so!

      Look forward to fearing from you soon!

      Cheers,

      Philip

      PS. I've never heard your name before. Where does it come from?




      On 11/03/2005, at 9:11 PM, Sido wrote:

      >
      > Hello Phillip,
      >
      > Thank you for you reaction. I am now also a member of Asatru-Studies.
      >
      > Blessings, Sido
      > ----- Original Message -----
      > From: Philip Castle
      > To: Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com
      > Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 9:00 PM
      > Subject: Re: [Asatru-U] Hello
      >
      >
      > Excellent Choice Sido,
      >
      > Welcome.
      >
      > This is a good list but there's not a lot of action here just at the
      > moment. May I suggest that you also join [Asatru] and
      > [Asatru_Studies]
      > -both on Yahoo Groups. Both of these groups are extremely informative
      > and extremely welcoming.
      >
      > If you put out your questions there you'll be sure to get lots of
      > good
      > response.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Phil
      >
      >
      > On 27/02/2005, at 9:56 AM, sido_boonstra wrote:
      >
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >> Hello, I am Sido and I am new here. I am interested in Asatru for
      >> several years, but I didn't anything with it. There were also other
      >> spiritual paths I was interested in, like the books of Neale Donald
      >> Walsch. But now I made a choice and I am going to be an Asatruar!
      >>
      >> I am from the Netherlands, I am a Frisian.
      >>
      >> Greetings, Sido
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >> Yahoo! Groups Links
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > ADVERTISEMENT
      > Children International
      > Would you give Hope to a Child in need?
      >
      > · Click Here to meet a Girl
      > And Give Her Hope
      >
      > · Click Here to meet a Boy
      > And Change His Life
      >
      > Learn More
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > -----------------------------------------------------------------------
      > -------
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      > a.. To visit your group on the web, go to:
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Asatru-U/
      >
      > b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      > Asatru-U-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      > Service.
      >
      >
      >
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >





      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • dvalin69
      Hi all, I ve just going through the files and found the first 2 links aren t working,well not on my PC anyways.Just wanted to let you know. Asa-Who? (A Brief
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 26, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi all,

        I've just going through the files and found the first 2 links aren't
        working,well not on my PC anyways.Just wanted to let you know.


        Asa-Who? (A Brief Introduction to the Asatru Religion)
        by Ann Gróa Sheffield
        http://www.medoburg.org/about/asawho.htm
        This article is more scholarly than Nordén's article above. It
        discusses the faith of Northern Europe and provides a list of Nordic
        gods. Forms of worship and values are also covered.

        Raven On-line, Introduction to Asatru
        http://www.webcom.com/~lstead/IntroAsatru.html
        A clear and compact explanation. Explains the Nine Noble Virtues
        which are followed by some Asatruar.
      • Lissa
        ... This weekend is Medoburg s blot, and I will ask Groa if she pulled it. The Medoburg web page is up, and there may be other articles there you would be
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 26, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 23:44 +0000, dvalin69 wrote:

          > I've just going through the files and found the first 2 links aren't
          > working,well not on my PC anyways.Just wanted to let you know.

          > Asa-Who? (A Brief Introduction to the Asatru Religion)
          > by Ann Gróa Sheffield
          > http://www.medoburg.org/about/asawho.htm
          > This article is more scholarly than Nordén's article above. It
          > discusses the faith of Northern Europe and provides a list of Nordic
          > gods. Forms of worship and values are also covered.

          This weekend is Medoburg's blot, and I will ask Groa if she pulled it.
          The Medoburg web page is up, and there may be other articles there you
          would be interested in.

          > Raven On-line, Introduction to Asatru
          > http://www.webcom.com/~lstead/IntroAsatru.html
          > A clear and compact explanation. Explains the Nine Noble Virtues
          > which are followed by some Asatruar.

          This one is coming up fine for me. Perhaps it was down briefly?

          Thank you for the notice of dead links. I will try to find out what
          happened to the Medoburg link, and report back.

          Be well,
          Lissa

          --

          The psychiatrist would have an explanation, Betsy thought,
          but I don't want to hear it. People rely too much on
          explanations these days, and not enough on courage and action.

          Sloan Wilson, _The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit_
        • Lissa
          ... I figured out what is going on with this one. Our webthrall changed the kindred s webpages to asp. The url that works for this article is;
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 26, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 23:44 +0000, dvalin69 wrote:

            > Asa-Who? (A Brief Introduction to the Asatru Religion)
            > by Ann Gróa Sheffield
            > http://www.medoburg.org/about/asawho.htm
            > This article is more scholarly than Nordén's article above. It
            > discusses the faith of Northern Europe and provides a list of Nordic
            > gods. Forms of worship and values are also covered.

            I figured out what is going on with this one. Our webthrall changed the
            kindred's webpages to asp. The url that works for this article is;

            http://medoburg.org/about/asawho.asp

            This probably means that all Medoburg links need to be validated.

            Evil Microsoft crap.

            Be well,
            Lissa

            --

            Elephants resist crossing snowcapped mountains; readers balk
            at wading through ancient history.

            Ron Charles, "Maybe Hannibal Wasn't so Horrible", Christian
            Science Monitor, 11 Jan., 2005
          • Rick A. Riedlinger
            Lissa, Dvalin, Thanks. Manny will likely see this. Rick
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 26, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              Lissa, Dvalin,

              Thanks. Manny will likely see this.

              Rick
            • Brett Heth
              My name is Brett and I m new to this path. Any help you could provide will be useful. Thanks Cheveyo ... Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
              • 0 Attachment
                My name is Brett and I'm new to this path. Any help you could provide will be useful.

                Thanks
                Cheveyo


                ---------------------------------
                Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.

                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • Rick A. Riedlinger
                Hello Cheveyo, This is what we have come up with to help people get started and find their way around: http://www.asatru-u.org/ If you have any comments on the
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
                • 0 Attachment
                  Hello Cheveyo,

                  This is what we have come up with to help people get started and find their
                  way around:

                  http://www.asatru-u.org/

                  If you have any comments on the course or if you find any bad links, please
                  let us know.

                  Wassail!

                  Rick
                • ella anghel
                  Hi, everybody! I m new to the group, just joined a couple of minutes ago... I joined primarily to learn as much as possible about Loki, my favorite among the
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 29, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Hi, everybody! I'm new to the group, just joined a couple of minutes ago...

                    I joined primarily to learn as much as possible about Loki, my favorite among the dwellers of Asgard. I am an anthropologist and my interest is mostly scientific in the matter. I've been studying Loki on my own for a while now and I would love your input on my many lingering questions. I understood that Loki is an unimportant or unloved and invoked deity in Asatru, still I hope that some of the members of this group will be willing to discuss the subject with me.

                    Also I would be glad to help develop the courses on Asatru in any way I can.

                    Thanks and all the best,
                    Ella


                    ---------------------------------
                    Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.

                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  • Ratatask Thora
                    Hi Ella ( and everybody else!) I m actually working on a paper on Loki & how he s perceived in Asatru, though I doubt it will be done any time soon. It s a
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 29, 2007
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Hi Ella ( and everybody else!)

                      I'm actually working on a paper on Loki & how he's perceived in Asatru, though I doubt it will be done any time soon. It's a very long and involved topic, so there's no way I can say everything here. But I'll do my best to summarize.

                      Basically, there are 3 schools of thought on Loki. He's either a troublemaker, a god of chaos and the (rather abrupt, but often positive) change that comes out of chaos, or an enemy of our gods. All of these aspects are apparent in the lore, but a lot of it comes down to: do you accept Loki as the god of the early Eddas, where he is a traveling companion and friend of the gods, or do you view him as the later Loki, who kills Odin's son and is at the head of the battle against the gods? If you view him as the latter, then invoking him during a ritual to the gods (or maybe even invoking him at all) really doesn't make much sense. Look at it this way: would you invite someone to dinner with your family if they had betrayed your family, killed a member of your family, and wished the destruction of them all? It's just really not a good idea!

                      However, many view Loki as the Loki in the early Eddas and ignore this later aspect of Loki. Some actually believe that these are two distinctly different characters who Snorri Sturlson either mistook to be the same character in the early tales, or chose to make the same to add drama to his tales. I tend to think that the latter Loki is more likely Utgard-Loki who is spoken of in the Eddas. Asatruars who only view him as that character, see him either as a trouble-maker or a god of chaos. I tend to dispute the god of chaos because he actually seems malicious in a number of the tales he is in. I believe gods of chaos are usually more likely to cause trouble for less malicious reasons, but I haven't studied chaos gods in depth, so I could be wrong. If you view him as a god of chaos, well then as with many Pagan religions today, some people decide to embrace chaos and worship him, and some chose to stay far away from chaos and keep him out of their devotions.

                      It is my understanding that the character of Loki in some form is found outside of the prose edda in places like archeological evidence (carvings or paintings or such), but that there is no evidence of him ever being worshipped by our ancestors.

                      I'm very interested to hear your views on Loki from an anthropological standpoint. Please share!


                      Su "Ratatask" Þóra
                      Gythja of Eplagarðr Kindred (www.eplagarthrkindred.org)
                      MD/VA/WV Steward, The Troth (www.thetroth.org)

                      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    • Kimberley Henderson
                      ... minutes ago... ... favorite among the dwellers of Asgard. I am an anthropologist and my interest is mostly scientific in the matter. I ve been studying
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 29, 2007
                      • 0 Attachment
                        --- In Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com, ella anghel <kellermaniac@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Hi, everybody! I'm new to the group, just joined a couple of
                        minutes ago...
                        >
                        > I joined primarily to learn as much as possible about Loki, my
                        favorite among the dwellers of Asgard. I am an anthropologist and my
                        interest is mostly scientific in the matter. I've been studying Loki
                        on my own for a while now and I would love your input on my many
                        lingering questions. I understood that Loki is an unimportant or
                        unloved and invoked deity in Asatru, still I hope that some of the
                        members of this group will be willing to discuss the subject with me.
                        >
                        > Also I would be glad to help develop the courses on Asatru in any
                        way I can.
                        >
                        > Thanks and all the best,
                        > Ella
                        >
                        >
                        > ---------------------------------
                        > Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo!
                        Travel.
                        >
                        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                        >My loved ones hail Loki all the time 4th for keeping us on our toes
                      • Kimberley Henderson
                        ... Asatru, though I doubt it will be done any time soon. It s a very long and involved topic, so there s no way I can say everything here. But I ll do my
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 30, 2007
                        • 0 Attachment
                          --- In Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com, Ratatask Thora <ratatask@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > Hi Ella ( and everybody else!)
                          >
                          > I'm actually working on a paper on Loki & how he's perceived in
                          Asatru, though I doubt it will be done any time soon. It's a very
                          long and involved topic, so there's no way I can say everything
                          here. But I'll do my best to summarize.
                          >
                          > Basically, there are 3 schools of thought on Loki. He's either a
                          troublemaker, a god of chaos and the (rather abrupt, but often
                          positive) change that comes out of chaos, or an enemy of our gods.
                          All of these aspects are apparent in the lore, but a lot of it comes
                          down to: do you accept Loki as the god of the early Eddas, where he
                          is a traveling companion and friend of the gods, or do you view him
                          as the later Loki, who kills Odin's son and is at the head of the
                          battle against the gods? If you view him as the latter, then
                          invoking him during a ritual to the gods (or maybe even invoking him
                          at all) really doesn't make much sense. Look at it this way: would
                          you invite someone to dinner with your family if they had betrayed
                          your family, killed a member of your family, and wished the
                          destruction of them all? It's just really not a good idea!
                          >
                          > However, many view Loki as the Loki in the early Eddas and ignore
                          this later aspect of Loki. Some actually believe that these are two
                          distinctly different characters who Snorri Sturlson either mistook to
                          be the same character in the early tales, or chose to make the same
                          to add drama to his tales. I tend to think that the latter Loki is
                          more likely Utgard-Loki who is spoken of in the Eddas. Asatruars who
                          only view him as that character, see him either as a trouble-maker or
                          a god of chaos. I tend to dispute the god of chaos because he
                          actually seems malicious in a number of the tales he is in. I
                          believe gods of chaos are usually more likely to cause trouble for
                          less malicious reasons, but I haven't studied chaos gods in depth, so
                          I could be wrong. If you view him as a god of chaos, well then as
                          with many Pagan religions today, some people decide to embrace chaos
                          and worship him, and some chose to stay far away from chaos and keep
                          him out of their devotions.
                          >
                          > It is my understanding that the character of Loki in some form is
                          found outside of the prose edda in places like archeological evidence
                          (carvings or paintings or such), but that there is no evidence of him
                          ever being worshipped by our ancestors.
                          >
                          > I'm very interested to hear your views on Loki from an
                          anthropological standpoint. Please share!
                          >
                          >
                          > Su "Ratatask" Þóra
                          > Gythja of Eplagarðr Kindred (www.eplagarthrkindred.org)
                          > MD/VA/WV Steward, The Troth (www.thetroth.org)
                          >
                          > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                          >The way I see it as is Loki is one of the Gods and he is seen as a
                          trickster a trouble maker and he also wants more like all power is an
                          issue for a genius mind there isnt enough to entertain anyone with
                          such a creative mind who is chaos in itself he wanted more
                          recognition and I hail him 4th 1 ODIN 2 THOR 3 FREJA 4 LOKI HAIL ODIN
                          FOR WISDOM THOR FOR STRENGTH FREJA FOR LOVE AND BEAUTY AND LOKI FOR
                          KEEPING ME ON MY TOES. Loki was created by the gods like all of us
                          and I see him as a wise but greedy God and yes he betrayed but when
                          you have gods that are warriors life is battle to them and battle is
                          what Loki did, He still is respected We respect Odin and he would
                          sometimes give victory to the unexpected so maybe we should sometimes
                          look at the opposite and give victory.
                        • ~~ARCHIE~~
                          Hello all, I just joined the group. I am here to learn about Asatru and Heathenry, as I have discovered it is the path that is chosen for me. Hope to
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 30, 2007
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Hello all,
                            I just joined the group. I am here to learn about Asatru and
                            Heathenry, as I have discovered it is the path that is chosen for me.
                            Hope to correspond with as many of you as I can.

                            ~~Archie~~
                          • ella anghel
                            Hello, Ratatask! I was very pleased to see responses to my quest. I think that a paper about the way Loki is perceived in Asatru today is quite anthropological
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 30, 2007
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Hello, Ratatask!

                              I was very pleased to see responses to my quest. I think that a paper about the way Loki is perceived in Asatru today is quite anthropological it's self, it is a topic I myself thought would be interesting to study at some point, so I would be interested to learn more about you findings and also about the methods you are using in your investigation.

                              At first I felt an attraction to the figure of Loki because I always had a soft spot for the villains... But as I looked closer I became puzzled with the many layers that made him up so I started digging deeper. First I concluded that as a trickster he must be the manifestation of an archetype, so I set out to prove that. After little research into the subject I found that Jung had already written about this at length. Also I found many loose ends, so to speak, in the Loki = a trickster theory. There for I set out to find proof that he isn't actually a trickster and has been forced into the category by ethnographers in the early 19th century. This has also been theorised by others before me (life isn't fair!) as Giordano Grottanelli points out in one of the articles I've been reading about Loki.

                              He does have something of a trickster, yet that is not his role. My guess(though not an original one alas!) is that later Christian interpolation made him out to be evil. As far as I can tell from what I read so far, including some poems of the Edda, the concept of Wyrd is most high and nobody can stand against it. Nowhere does it say that Loki wanted Ragnarook to start, he is but one of the instruments of Faith. And yes he does join the fight on the wrong side but he is after all a Jotun so he fights against the enemy of his kind. That is if he is Jotun... lately I found that he is sometimes considered a Vanir. I am still researching the matter of his origins.

                              I am really upset that most texts concerning the Norse Gods have been tempered with by Christians and that has made things harder to set straight. If indeed at first Loki was a spirit of nature and aid to the Aesir only later to be identified with Lucifer as the Christian evil-incarnate then a lot of the Edda is make believe.

                              The Utgath-Loki character also puzzles me. Like you, I have considered that there are in actuality two or more characters merged in Loki, one would be the mischievous yet harmless buffoon who always rights his wrong-doings and is punished severely and the other would be the magical uncontrolled force of destruction. When analyzing these I always try to get into a frame of mind that would make sense to the vikings and leave modern thought patterns aside. That is mostly what I hoped to get by joining this group.

                              I find that Ragnarook is a very original take on The End of All Things mainly because nobody actually wins. Every participant perishes in the fight and the world is renewed and made better, also I find that the new world described is actually the Christian world which makes me ask myself how did Ragnarook play out originally?

                              I would love to read more of your findings about worship today if you don't mind, not just about Loki but maybe his children as well?

                              All the best
                              Ella


                              ---------------------------------
                              Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows.
                              Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                            • liberator_9
                              Hi, Archie, I don t remember if I replied, but welcome to the e-list. Stephen
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 5, 2007
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Hi, Archie, I don't remember if I replied, but welcome to the e-list.
                                Stephen


                                --- In Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com, "~~ARCHIE~~" <waroberson3017@...>
                                wrote:
                                >
                                > Hello all,
                                > I just joined the group. I am here to learn about Asatru and
                                > Heathenry, as I have discovered it is the path that is chosen for me.
                                > Hope to correspond with as many of you as I can.
                                >
                                > ~~Archie~~
                                >
                              • Spider Orengoth
                                Hello, The confirmation email said that I had to send an email before sending messages so I am. I am an ecclectic wanting to learn more about Norse
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 24, 2008
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  Hello,

                                  The confirmation email said that I had to send an email before sending messages so I am. I am an ecclectic wanting to learn more about Norse Paganism/Asatru/Heathenism. I look forward to participating in the group. Thank you, and may the wind always be on your back.


                                  -SPIDER-





                                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                • Adrienne Paolini
                                     Hello I noticed that there hasn t been much activity on this of late and I know people have very busy lives but I am looking into some Goddesses (Skadi
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 17, 2013
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                       Hello I noticed that there hasn't been much activity on this of late and I know people have very busy lives but I am looking into some Goddesses (Skadi and Freya). I was also looking for information on Seidr/Seidhr. I am not of Germanic or Norse decent (to my knowledge) But am part of the "alternative" religion "movement". I use quotes on this because I don't look at it as a religion it is my path I walk. I had come across the name Skadi a while ago but am not finding much information.

                                       I am rambling at this point and I apologize. I just want to learn as much about these points with out the generic information I have been able to acquire on my own.

                                    Thank you for your time!
                                    Adrienne
                                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.