Re:Course planning

  • herohearth@sc.rr.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2003
      Hey All!

      I haven't gotten a chance to see Mike Smiths book yet, but from what I've
      seen of the Wodening book, it would not be appropriate for beginners.

      Maybe not only use"Lost Beliefs of Northern Europe", but include Crossleys
      "Norse Myths" and some easier Edda translations like the Everyman's?

      The problem to me is that he wants a course light on reading, to go to
      people 55+. It will be hard to come up with something informative unless he
      isn't expecting a lot of class discussion on the subject matterial. We know
      how fun those kinds of classes are;)).

      HeidR
    • Lonnie
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2003
        --- In Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com, "herohearth@s..." <heroheather@s...>
        wrote:
        > Hey All!
        >
        > I haven't gotten a chance to see Mike Smiths book yet, but from
        what I've
        > seen of the Wodening book, it would not be appropriate for
        beginners.

        Wassail HeidR,

        That depends on which of the Wodenings books you are talking about.
        If your talking about Eric's older book "We Are Our Deeds" then yes
        it probably wouldn't be a good book to aim a beginner at. But if you
        are talking about Eric's latest book project "Rites of Heathendom"
        http://www.cafeshops.com/wodening.7646255
        then I would have to disagree. It would be an excellent addition to a
        beginners homework.
        Now if your talking about Swain's newest book "Hammer of the Gods:
        Anglo-Saxon Paganism in Modern Times"
        http://wodening.ealdriht.org/swain/coming_soon.htm
        From what I hear it would be appropriate for beginners as well...
        To add another book to the list of new books that have come out that
        would be appropriate for a beginner (and old hand as well) is James
        Coulters "Germanic Heathenry:A Practical Guide"...

        Alaf Sal Fena

        Lonnie
        http://Gamall-Steinn.Org
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 10, 2003
          On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Lonnie wrote:

          > That depends on which of the Wodenings books you are talking about.
          (with details snipped)
          > To add another book to the list of new books that have come out that
          > would be appropriate for a beginner (and old hand as well) is James
          > Coulters "Germanic Heathenry:A Practical Guide"...

          I think we need to get more information from the original inquirer about
          what he is trying to convey with this class. "What the religion was/is
          about" is different from "How to do it", IMO.

          MAO
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 10, 2003
            >To add another book to the list of new books that have come out that
            would be appropriate for a beginner (and old hand as well) is James
            Coulters "Germanic Heathenry:A Practical Guide"...

            Possibly. I am much impressed but I have real problems with the use of
            'true' and 'proper'. Intelligent conjecture is still only conjecture.

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 10, 2003
              On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Rick A. Riedlinger wrote:

              > > To add another book to the list of new books that have come out that
              > > would be appropriate for a beginner (and old hand as well) is James
              > > Coulters "Germanic Heathenry:A Practical Guide"...

              > Possibly. I am much impressed but I have real problems with the use of
              > 'true' and 'proper'. Intelligent conjecture is still only conjecture.

              And this is why our ideas for Intermediate courses are all centered on
              giving guidance, instead of just pointing at an assortment of sources. An
              instructor or guidance document can point out that problem and set
              exercises to reinforce that point.

              MAO