Comments (Was Introductions)

  • Karen Dimmock
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 19, 2003
      Greetings Manny and all the other workers!

      > We are particularly interested in your comments on what about our
      > beginner's course has or has not met your needs. And what you would
      like
      > to see come after that.

      > Manny Olds (oldsma@p...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA
      > Coordinator, Asatru-U (http://www.asatru-u.org)

      I'd like to see an expanded reading list. In particular some sites
      and/or books dealing with general background to Viking, Saxon and
      other Germanic cultures. Pointing people at the Eddas, etc. is good,
      but it's better if they have some knowledge about the culture that
      produced them. Just as a random example, a sword was an expensive
      item during Viking times. A modern equivalent might be owning a
      Mercedes. If you know that, you know that someone carrying a sword
      was someone of means, whereas pretty much any man would have owned an
      axe. It's little stuff like that which can help people understand
      more about what they are reading. Also, life during what we call
      the "Dark Ages" was pretty harsh so it also might help people
      understand why the Eddas and Sagas seem quite brutal.

      Wassail

      Karen
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 19, 2003
        On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 13:21, Karen Dimmock wrote:

        > I'd like to see an expanded reading list. In particular some sites
        > and/or books dealing with general background to Viking, Saxon and
        > other Germanic cultures.

        A decision was made to keep the beginner's course strictly online. I
        wouldn't mind seeing that revisited.

        One of the results of that decision is that there isn't good cultural
        and historical background reading. The web just doesn't lend itself to
        giving that kind of information, the Viking Answer Lady not
        withstanding.

        > Pointing people at the Eddas, etc. is good,
        > but it's better if they have some knowledge about the culture that
        > produced them.

        I very much agree.

        > Just as a random example, a sword was an expensive
        > item during Viking times. A modern equivalent might be owning a
        > Mercedes. If you know that, you know that someone carrying a sword
        > was someone of means, whereas pretty much any man would have owned an
        > axe.

        Or a spear, depending on place and time period (I know you specified
        Viking).

        I would argue that having a basic grounding in the cultural and
        historical context of the gods makes it easier to hear them and to
        understand them.

        > It's little stuff like that which can help people understand
        > more about what they are reading. Also, life during what we call
        > the "Dark Ages" was pretty harsh so it also might help people
        > understand why the Eddas and Sagas seem quite brutal.

        They do? I've thought them a bit tame compared to my local news <g>.

        If you have any websites that you think should be included, I'm sure
        we'd like to look at them. Ditto for books, as we slowly move towards
        doing the intermediate course.

        And, thank you. This is good, constructive criticism.

        To be a good civil libertarian is to spend one's life in a fairly
        constant state of alarm, which leaves the group somewhat frazzled.

        Molly Ivins, "Fish or Cut Bait"
      • MC
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 20, 2003
          Hi Manny and all!

          I just started the course about a week ago (currently reading the Do-
          It-Yourself Ritual kit. Very short and brief. Perfect to pack meat
          around the bones afterwards). I stumbled upon it while doing some
          research on Asatru. It turns out it was exactly what I was looking
          for! Even though some of the links were down, I managed to find
          pretty much every article except one.

          What I like the most is that it is gradual and gives a good overview
          of the different categories and possibilities. The fact that there
          are different voices all throughout the course keeps me interested
          and gives great website references!

          Contrary to many here, I am not of German descent. I'm in Canada,
          Ontario, but originally from Quebec where my ancestors have been for
          about 400 years after coming from France. I also started out on the
          Pagan/Wiccan path though I found Asatru through my husband. I found
          that I needed a solid religion. Even though it is being
          reconstructed, the basis are good and the background is real.

          What could be added to the list would be Fantasy books relating to
          either Asatru or Vikings. It makes this old world seem alive (when
          the book is good, obviously). One I would recommend is Warriors of
          the Way by Harry Harrison. I enjoyed it immensely and as I go
          through the course, I remember things from the book and I can now
          nod knowingly *grin*.

          A section on the old Norse language might also be interesting. There
          is a course on-line that I'm currently following and which is pretty
          user-friendly. A link to it would be graet if possible.

          Thirdly, a section on the story of the resurgence of Asatru.

          Well, that's pretty much it! If I think of more things after I
          finish reading, I'll post. Thank you very much for all the time and
          effort that is being put into this work. It is very appreciated and
          helps to keep the stories alive and kicking.

          MC

          > We are particularly interested in your comments on what about our
          > beginner's course has or has not met your needs. And what you
          would like
          > to see come after that.
          >

          > Manny Olds (oldsma@p...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA
          > Coordinator, Asatru-U (http://www.asatru-u.org)
        • Felipe Brum
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 22, 2003
            What do you mean with "no be a german descent"? Do you realy think it is necessary to follow the Asaway?

            MC <mcperron@...> wrote:
            Hi Manny and all!

            I just started the course about a week ago (currently reading the Do-
            It-Yourself Ritual kit. Very short and brief. Perfect to pack meat
            around the bones afterwards). I stumbled upon it while doing some
            research on Asatru. It turns out it was exactly what I was looking
            for! Even though some of the links were down, I managed to find
            pretty much every article except one.

            What I like the most is that it is gradual and gives a good overview
            of the different categories and possibilities. The fact that there
            are different voices all throughout the course keeps me interested
            and gives great website references!

            Contrary to many here, I am not of German descent. I'm in Canada,
            Ontario, but originally from Quebec where my ancestors have been for
            about 400 years after coming from France. I also started out on the
            Pagan/Wiccan path though I found Asatru through my husband. I found
            that I needed a solid religion. Even though it is being
            reconstructed, the basis are good and the background is real.

            What could be added to the list would be Fantasy books relating to
            either Asatru or Vikings. It makes this old world seem alive (when
            the book is good, obviously). One I would recommend is Warriors of
            the Way by Harry Harrison. I enjoyed it immensely and as I go
            through the course, I remember things from the book and I can now
            nod knowingly *grin*.

            A section on the old Norse language might also be interesting. There
            is a course on-line that I'm currently following and which is pretty
            user-friendly. A link to it would be graet if possible.

            Thirdly, a section on the story of the resurgence of Asatru.

            Well, that's pretty much it! If I think of more things after I
            finish reading, I'll post. Thank you very much for all the time and
            effort that is being put into this work. It is very appreciated and
            helps to keep the stories alive and kicking.

            MC

            > We are particularly interested in your comments on what about our
            > beginner's course has or has not met your needs. And what you
            would like
            > to see come after that.
            >

            > Manny Olds (oldsma@p...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA
            > Coordinator, Asatru-U (http://www.asatru-u.org)

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • MC
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 24, 2003
              Not at all. It's simply that many of the posts before that were all
              pointing to their German descent. For someone looking from the outside,
              it might have seem that everyone on the newsgroup was of German descent.

              From what I have been reading, I know that there are some who believe
              that a German descent is necesary to follow this path. It is not my
              belief. I also find it interesting to find out where people are coming
              from, culturally speaking and what drew them here. (I totally blam my
              background in anthropology for that one) :)

              MC

              MC <mcperron@...> wrote:
              Hi Manny and all!

              I just started the course about a week ago (currently reading the Do-
              It-Yourself Ritual kit. Very short and brief. Perfect to pack meat
              around the bones afterwards). I stumbled upon it while doing some
              research on Asatru. It turns out it was exactly what I was looking
              for! Even though some of the links were down, I managed to find
              pretty much every article except one.

              What I like the most is that it is gradual and gives a good overview
              of the different categories and possibilities. The fact that there
              are different voices all throughout the course keeps me interested
              and gives great website references!

              Contrary to many here, I am not of German descent. I'm in Canada,
              Ontario, but originally from Quebec where my ancestors have been for
              about 400 years after coming from France. I also started out on the
              Pagan/Wiccan path though I found Asatru through my husband. I found
              that I needed a solid religion. Even though it is being
              reconstructed, the basis are good and the background is real.

              What could be added to the list would be Fantasy books relating to
              either Asatru or Vikings. It makes this old world seem alive (when
              the book is good, obviously). One I would recommend is Warriors of
              the Way by Harry Harrison. I enjoyed it immensely and as I go
              through the course, I remember things from the book and I can now
              nod knowingly *grin*.

              A section on the old Norse language might also be interesting. There
              is a course on-line that I'm currently following and which is pretty
              user-friendly. A link to it would be graet if possible.

              Thirdly, a section on the story of the resurgence of Asatru.

              Well, that's pretty much it! If I think of more things after I
              finish reading, I'll post. Thank you very much for all the time and
              effort that is being put into this work. It is very appreciated and
              helps to keep the stories alive and kicking.

              MC

              > We are particularly interested in your comments on what about our
              > beginner's course has or has not met your needs. And what you
              would like
              > to see come after that.
              >

              > Manny Olds (oldsma@p...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA
              > Coordinator, Asatru-U (http://www.asatru-u.org)