New to group...

  • cerridwen_moonsong
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 5, 2003
      Heilsa,

      I read some of your past posts, and was interested to see that I was
      not the only one who started out on my path as Wiccan, but after
      still feeling something was missing, found the Northern Tradition!
      I decided to look into it in order to forge a better connection with
      my ancestry (I'm of mostly German descent), & so far the little bit
      I've learned really fits well with my personal beliefs. I still
      have not decided exactly which tradition to follow, but I know that
      it will be a Germanic one. The only Germanic Tradition I've been
      able to find any info on is Asatru, so I figured this group would be
      the best place to start. (Honestly, I don't even know if there are
      any other Germanic Traditions. ~smiling sheepishly~) I also still
      have a lot to learn, as you can probably tell, and am hoping to do
      so here. I have adopted a new Magickal name since changing my path,
      but haven't changed my e-mail addy or screen name because I've had
      them for a very long time & I didn't want any of my acquaintances to
      get confused (lol), so you can call me Arabelle (my "new" name),
      Cerridwen, or Cerri if you want. It doesn't matter to me. :-D I
      was hoping to get some opinions from members here on something if
      you don't mind. It's kind of a weird situation that recently found
      me, and I was hoping for some input on whether or not I handled it
      correctly. It's kind of a long story, but if no one minds me
      sharing it, please let me know. Thanks! :-)

      Bless,
      Arabelle/Cerri
    • mooncrier@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
        > I read some of your past posts, and was interested to see that I was
        > not the only one who started out on my path as Wiccan, but after
        > still feeling something was missing, found the Northern Tradition!
        > I decided to look into it in order to forge a better connection with
        > my ancestry (I'm of mostly German descent), & so far the little bit
        > I've learned really fits well with my personal beliefs.

        Greetings (and Merry Meet ;) Cerri,
        I'm one of those who started in the wiccan way, before deciding to return to
        my Germanic roots, so to speak. I still practice ritual the Wiccan way on
        Samhain, tho. Somehow, that just seems the right thing to do. I realize that
        doesn't sit well with the Asatru community, but that's the way it is.
        What is the story you wanted to relay? I'd be interested in reading it.
        Wassail!
        Walk in Light,
        Laura

        * EarthWytch Dreamcatchers *
        not your ordinary dreamcatchers!
        <A HREF="Http://lgl48.tripod.com">EarthWytch Dreamcatchers</A>

      • Lowri Anne
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
          Hello All,

          I am very new to this and still searching and learning. I am very
          interested in learning more about Asatru and the practicalities of it in
          daily life, esp conversion challenges. I come from a fundamental baptist
          background so I am dealing with some baggage.

          I was doing some side reasearch for my job (librarian) when I came across
          this (Asatru) and it struck a chord in me. I am not sure why, but I would
          like to investigate it. I am especially taken with Frigga, the home and
          hearth and spinning. I can feel the warmth of this calling to me, and not
          just because I have a spinning wheel that I adore.

          Please bear with me while I am hesitant, but open minded.

          Lowrianne

          MSN 8: Get 6 months for $9.95/month http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
        • >^..^< meow!!
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
            HI Cerri.. my name is Amie Luna... my magickal Asatru name I don't reveal... WHASSSUUUPPP??????? We all have germanic roots and seem to have ended up here huh? Isn't it amazing? I'd be very interested in reading your story, too...

            Oh by the way, I just joined this group... HI!!! I'm from MA near the CT border. Asatru as a whole is fairly new to me... My family is pagan and chock full of witches so I grew up that way. My kids are growing up that way also.... but I am exploring Asatru.

            Talk to you soon....
            Wassail....

            Amie Luna

            mooncrier@... wrote:

            > I read some of your past posts, and was interested to see that I was
            > not the only one who started out on my path as Wiccan, but after
            > still feeling something was missing, found the Northern Tradition!
            > I decided to look into it in order to forge a better connection with
            > my ancestry (I'm of mostly German descent), & so far the little bit
            > I've learned really fits well with my personal beliefs.

            Greetings (and Merry Meet ;) Cerri,
            I'm one of those who started in the wiccan way, before deciding to return to
            my Germanic roots, so to speak. I still practice ritual the Wiccan way on
            Samhain, tho. Somehow, that just seems the right thing to do. I realize that
            doesn't sit well with the Asatru community, but that's the way it is.
            What is the story you wanted to relay? I'd be interested in reading it.
            Wassail!
            Walk in Light,
            Laura

            * EarthWytch Dreamcatchers *
            not your ordinary dreamcatchers!
            <A HREF="Http://lgl48.tripod.com">EarthWytch Dreamcatchers</A>

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Ryan Ward
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
              greetings,

              I too came to Asatru after wicca, but vefore wicca came ritual magick, druidry, and general neo-paganism. It seems that after all this time, I've finally found a home. However, it seems that every religion has its truths, and no one should feel afraid to celebrate in another traditions manner. I personaly don't like to blend them toghether (i.e. I don't toast celtic gods during a sumbel)

              wassail

              ryan

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5, 2003
                > However, it seems that every religion has its truths, and no one should
                > feel afraid to celebrate in another traditions manner. I personaly don't like
                > to blend them toghether (i.e. I don't toast celtic gods during a sumbel)
                >
                > I agree with you on that score. If I'm doing ritual using Dragon Magick, I
                certainly don't insult them by inviting the Wolves. Likewise I would never mix
                Asatru and Egyptian traditions in ritual either.

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 6, 2003
                  > Please bear with me while I am hesitant, but open minded.
                  >
                  > Lowrianne

                  Welcome to the group, Lowrianne. I hope you find what you're seeking here.
                  Wassail,
                  Laura

                • Cerridwen MoonSong
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 17, 2003
                    Thank you so much for responding, Laura & Amie Luna! It has been so long
                    since I posted this that I'd forgotten all about it. lol. Bless~Cerri

                    From: ">^..^< meow!!" <lunakitty0823@...>
                    To: Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: Re: [Asatru-U] New to group...
                    Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 03:46:32 -0700 (PDT)

                  • Gautawald The Heathen
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 18, 2003
                      And for those of us who are not american and actually use a little language
                      i like to call english, what was all that code talk and triple letters about
                      ???

                      Anyone got a translation ?

                      Gautawald, mildly miffed and loki-like !!

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 22, 2003
                        which words would you be referring to?

                        Gautawald The Heathen <Dragore_Akarai@...> wrote:And for those of us who are not american and actually use a little language
                        i like to call english, what was all that code talk and triple letters about
                        ???

                        Anyone got a translation ?

                        Gautawald, mildly miffed and loki-like !!

                        >From: ">^..^< meow!!" <lunakitty0823@...>
                        >To: Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: Re: [Asatru-U] New to group...
                        >Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 03:46:32 -0700 (PDT)
                        >
                        >HI Cerri.. my name is Amie Luna... my magickal Asatru name I don't
                        >reveal... WHASSSUUUPPP??????? We all have germanic roots and seem to have
                        >ended up here huh? Isn't it amazing? I'd be very interested in reading
                        >your story, too...
                        >
                        >Oh by the way, I just joined this group... HI!!! I'm from MA near the CT
                        >border. Asatru as a whole is fairly new to me... My family is pagan and
                        >chock full of witches so I grew up that way. My kids are growing up that
                        >way also.... but I am exploring Asatru.
                        >
                        >Talk to you soon....
                        >Wassail....
                        >
                        >Amie Luna
                        >

                        >mooncrier@... wrote:
                        >
                        > > I read some of your past posts, and was interested to see that I was
                        > > not the only one who started out on my path as Wiccan, but after
                        > > still feeling something was missing, found the Northern Tradition!
                        > > I decided to look into it in order to forge a better connection with
                        > > my ancestry (I'm of mostly German descent), & so far the little bit
                        > > I've learned really fits well with my personal beliefs.
                        >
                        > Greetings (and Merry Meet ;) Cerri,
                        >I'm one of those who started in the wiccan way, before deciding to return
                        >my Germanic roots, so to speak. I still practice ritual the Wiccan way on
                        >Samhain, tho. Somehow, that just seems the right thing to do. I realize
                        >that
                        >doesn't sit well with the Asatru community, but that's the way it is.
                        >What is the story you wanted to relay? I'd be interested in reading it.
                        >Wassail!
                        >Walk in Light,
                        >Laura
                        >
                        >* EarthWytch Dreamcatchers *
                        >not your ordinary dreamcatchers!
                        ><A HREF="Http://lgl48.tripod.com">EarthWytch Dreamcatchers</A>

                        >Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      • wench
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 24, 2003
                          And for those of us who are not american and actually use a little
                          language
                          > i like to call english, what was all that code talk and triple
                          letters about
                          > ???
                          >
                          > Anyone got a translation ?
                          >

                          > Gautawald, mildly miffed and loki-like !!

                          I *think* he was referring to the following line:
                          "HI!!! I'm from MA near the CT"

                          In which case the abbreviations (which are a part of the English
                          Language, if not in general use in the UK) are MA = Massachusetts and
                          CT = Conneticut.
                          wench
                        • Gautawald The Heathen
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 24, 2003
                            I can't say i remember...i deleted the email now. I simply ask that messages
                            be kept to understandable slang and as few shortenings as possible. If only
                            for the sake of my very delicate and bruised sanity...

                            http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
                          • mooncrier@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 25, 2003
                              In a message dated 9/25/03 6:53:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                              Dragore_Akarai@... writes:

                              > I can't say i remember...i deleted the email now. I simply ask that
                              > messages
                              > be kept to understandable slang and as few shortenings as possible. If only
                              > for the sake of my very delicate and bruised sanity...

                              I, myself, shall remember that we're not all Americans.