Re: [Asatru-U] Introductions

  • mooncrier@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 31, 2003
      Heilsa, Yulfa!
      I, too, started out studying Wicca (10 yrs. Eclectic solitary), and was
      strongly drawn to Asatru only recently myself. I don't know how or why
      (perhaps I'm being drawn to the next stage of my spiritual development) but,
      being of Germanic descent, it feels right. I hope to learn from others in
      this group, so I may say very little, since little is how much I know of
      Asatru.

      Laura
      (A'Sha MoonCrier)

      > Although I
      > started on my spiritual path with studies in Wicca, I have found my
      > true kinship within the Germanic Gods. I have been pagan for
      > approximately 15 years now, but have only recently come to Asatru,
      > about 2 years ago now.

      Unique handcrafted Dreamcatchers!
      EarthWytch Dreamcatchers
      HTTP://LGL48.tripod.com

    • BTana Qul mupwI
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 3, 2003
        On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:39:58 EST mooncrier@... writes:
        Heilsa, Yulfa!
        I, too, started out studying Wicca (10 yrs. Eclectic solitary), and was
        strongly drawn to Asatru only recently myself. I don't know how or why
        (perhaps I'm being drawn to the next stage of my spiritual development)
        but,
        being of Germanic descent, it feels right. I hope to learn from others in

        this group, so I may say very little, since little is how much I know of
        Asatru.

        Laura
        (A'Sha MoonCrier)

        > Although I
        > started on my spiritual path with studies in Wicca, I have found my
        > true kinship within the Germanic Gods. I have been pagan for
        > approximately 15 years now, but have only recently come to Asatru,
        > about 2 years ago now.

        Yup, same here. About 10 years, when real life will allow me to
        slow down enough to do any studying/researching. <sigh> Only in the last
        month or so have I settled from general eclectic to more
        Norse/Germanic/Asatru. And I agree, with Germanic ancestry, it does feel
        right, much like when I first set foot on this path 10 years ago. It
        felt very right, and felt ... homey, for lack of a better word. So, I am
        also hoping to learn more for others, as I am in the same boat as Laura.

        'Cat/Astrid
        Never argue with a dragon, for thou art crunchy and go well with Brie.
        http://www.geocities.com/astridofthehorde/costume1.html
        ICQ # 67785514
        MSN btana_qul_mupwi
        YAHOO lady_btana

      • yulfa1 <yulfa1@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
          Heilsa Laura, and heilsa to you all. First, I'de like to correct a
          blunder which I've made already. The SCA stands for Socioty for
          Creative Anachronism. I was informed very gently and galantly by
          another within this list of my mistake. I won't bore every one with
          details of how I misquoted the title. ( You again have my thanks kind
          sir. ) As I also am of Teutonic descent, Nowegian via Scotland, and
          direct German, I too feel that I have come home again. I had a
          similar feeling when I self dedicated as wiccan priestess so many
          years ago under a moon which I shall never forget. I have yet
          dedicated myself to the Norse Gods in ceremony, however I have done
          so in heart. The cremony shall be soon, before this year is out. Does
          any one know when the most appropriate time of the year would be? I
          was thinking the winter solstice as the year is waxing from that
          point, also the new birth symbology, so too would I be birthing
          myself unto my chosen Gods. Untill next time, In Frith, Yulfa Hun
          Ulv

          --

        • yulfa1 <yulfa1@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
            > (A'Sha MoonCrier)
            >

            > > Although I
            > > started on my spiritual path with studies in Wicca, I have found
            my
            > > true kinship within the Germanic Gods. I have been pagan for
            > > approximately 15 years now, but have only recently come to
            Asatru,
            > > about 2 years ago now.
            >
            > Yup, same here. About 10 years, when real life will allow
            me to
            > slow down enough to do any studying/researching. <sigh> Only in
            the last
            > month or so have I settled from general eclectic to more
            > Norse/Germanic/Asatru. And I agree, with Germanic ancestry, it
            does feel
            > right, much like when I first set foot on this path 10 years ago.
            It
            > felt very right, and felt ... homey, for lack of a better word.
            So, I am
            > also hoping to learn more for others, as I am in the same boat as
            Laura.

            > 'Cat/Astrid
            > Never argue with a dragon, for thou art crunchy and go well with
            Brie.
            > http://www.geocities.com/astridofthehorde/costume1.html
            > ICQ # 67785514
            > MSN btana_qul_mupwi
            > YAHOO lady_btana

            Heilsa!
            >Nay fine lady. I would never dream of tangeling with fair
            dragon! They guide our ships most well! Thank you for all the warm
            welcomes into this list. I haven't been on line long and this is the
            first list I've joined other than my own Tribes. Does any one know of
            a good learning book for me? In particular one of the Gods
            themselves. I have," The book of Runes" by Freya Aswynn, and a book
            entitaled,' Myths Of The Norsemen" by H.A. Guerber. They are both
            informative, but I would like more on the Gods themselves. Untill
            next time, In frith, Yulfa Hun-Ulv
          • Jamie R. Hughes
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
              Heilsa,
              My name is Jamie and I live in Maine. I have been professed Asatru
              since 1997. Due to the fact that 1/3 of my family is Native American and
              the Other parts are Scotch/Irish and German
              I have run the gamut of spiritual searching. Luckily Asatru found me and I
              was able to find ideals that fit my way of thinking ( Not that native
              american shamanism or Druidism were bad they just didnĀ¹t quite hit all
              aspects of my spiritual self) and I have met some of the BEST Folk in the
              process. I decided to join the list now because it is time to branch out
              to the Seidr path and want to understand more about what other folk in the
              Asatru community are up to. Ok sounds a lil hokey but I am on a quest for
              knowledge :) So sock it to me.
              Frith To All,
              Jamie

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
                I'm approving these posts because they are not bad. But we should try to
                work the discussion around to curriculum development...

                We are particularly interested in your comments on what about our
                beginner's course has or has not met your needs. And what you would like
                to see come after that.

                Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA
                Coordinator, Asatru-U (http://www.asatru-u.org)
              • mooncrier@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
                  Nice to be able to share that boat with someone, Cat! :>
                  Laura
                  Never Mess in the Affairs of Dragons for you are Crunchy and good with
                  Ketsup! ;>

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 5, 2003
                    Being new to the scene here, I've yet to see anything resembling a beginners
                    course, Manny
                    Laura

                    > We are particularly interested in your comments on what about our
                    > beginner's course has or has not met your needs. And what you would like
                    > to see come after that.

                    Unique handcrafted Dreamcatchers!
                    EarthWytch Dreamcatchers
                    HTTP://LGL48.tripod.com

                  • Arlie Stephens
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 5, 2003
                      On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 08:26:54AM -0500, mooncrier@... wrote:

                      > Being new to the scene here, I've yet to see anything resembling a beginners
                      > course, Manny

                      The web page of this mailing list is at:
                      http://www.asatru-u.org

                      The beginners' class is there.

                      --
                      Arlie

                      (Arlie Stephens arlie@...)
                    • mooncrier@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 5, 2003
                        arlie@... writes:

                        > The beginners' class is there.

                        Yes, I found it there. Thanx!
                        Laura

                        Unique handcrafted Dreamcatchers!
                        EarthWytch Dreamcatchers
                        HTTP://LGL48.tripod.com

                      • Karen Dimmock
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 19, 2003
                          Greetings Manny and all the other workers!

                          > We are particularly interested in your comments on what about our
                          > beginner's course has or has not met your needs. And what you would
                          like
                          > to see come after that.

                          > Manny Olds (oldsma@p...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA
                          > Coordinator, Asatru-U (http://www.asatru-u.org)

                          I'd like to see an expanded reading list. In particular some sites
                          and/or books dealing with general background to Viking, Saxon and
                          other Germanic cultures. Pointing people at the Eddas, etc. is good,
                          but it's better if they have some knowledge about the culture that
                          produced them. Just as a random example, a sword was an expensive
                          item during Viking times. A modern equivalent might be owning a
                          Mercedes. If you know that, you know that someone carrying a sword
                          was someone of means, whereas pretty much any man would have owned an
                          axe. It's little stuff like that which can help people understand
                          more about what they are reading. Also, life during what we call
                          the "Dark Ages" was pretty harsh so it also might help people
                          understand why the Eddas and Sagas seem quite brutal.

                          Wassail

                          Karen
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 19, 2003
                            On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 13:21, Karen Dimmock wrote:

                            > I'd like to see an expanded reading list. In particular some sites
                            > and/or books dealing with general background to Viking, Saxon and
                            > other Germanic cultures.

                            A decision was made to keep the beginner's course strictly online. I
                            wouldn't mind seeing that revisited.

                            One of the results of that decision is that there isn't good cultural
                            and historical background reading. The web just doesn't lend itself to
                            giving that kind of information, the Viking Answer Lady not
                            withstanding.

                            > Pointing people at the Eddas, etc. is good,
                            > but it's better if they have some knowledge about the culture that
                            > produced them.

                            I very much agree.

                            > Just as a random example, a sword was an expensive
                            > item during Viking times. A modern equivalent might be owning a
                            > Mercedes. If you know that, you know that someone carrying a sword
                            > was someone of means, whereas pretty much any man would have owned an
                            > axe.

                            Or a spear, depending on place and time period (I know you specified
                            Viking).

                            I would argue that having a basic grounding in the cultural and
                            historical context of the gods makes it easier to hear them and to
                            understand them.

                            > It's little stuff like that which can help people understand
                            > more about what they are reading. Also, life during what we call
                            > the "Dark Ages" was pretty harsh so it also might help people
                            > understand why the Eddas and Sagas seem quite brutal.

                            They do? I've thought them a bit tame compared to my local news <g>.

                            If you have any websites that you think should be included, I'm sure
                            we'd like to look at them. Ditto for books, as we slowly move towards
                            doing the intermediate course.

                            And, thank you. This is good, constructive criticism.

                            To be a good civil libertarian is to spend one's life in a fairly
                            constant state of alarm, which leaves the group somewhat frazzled.

                            Molly Ivins, "Fish or Cut Bait"
                          • MC
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 20, 2003
                              Hi Manny and all!

                              I just started the course about a week ago (currently reading the Do-
                              It-Yourself Ritual kit. Very short and brief. Perfect to pack meat
                              around the bones afterwards). I stumbled upon it while doing some
                              research on Asatru. It turns out it was exactly what I was looking
                              for! Even though some of the links were down, I managed to find
                              pretty much every article except one.

                              What I like the most is that it is gradual and gives a good overview
                              of the different categories and possibilities. The fact that there
                              are different voices all throughout the course keeps me interested
                              and gives great website references!

                              Contrary to many here, I am not of German descent. I'm in Canada,
                              Ontario, but originally from Quebec where my ancestors have been for
                              about 400 years after coming from France. I also started out on the
                              Pagan/Wiccan path though I found Asatru through my husband. I found
                              that I needed a solid religion. Even though it is being
                              reconstructed, the basis are good and the background is real.

                              What could be added to the list would be Fantasy books relating to
                              either Asatru or Vikings. It makes this old world seem alive (when
                              the book is good, obviously). One I would recommend is Warriors of
                              the Way by Harry Harrison. I enjoyed it immensely and as I go
                              through the course, I remember things from the book and I can now
                              nod knowingly *grin*.

                              A section on the old Norse language might also be interesting. There
                              is a course on-line that I'm currently following and which is pretty
                              user-friendly. A link to it would be graet if possible.

                              Thirdly, a section on the story of the resurgence of Asatru.

                              Well, that's pretty much it! If I think of more things after I
                              finish reading, I'll post. Thank you very much for all the time and
                              effort that is being put into this work. It is very appreciated and
                              helps to keep the stories alive and kicking.

                              MC

                              > We are particularly interested in your comments on what about our
                              > beginner's course has or has not met your needs. And what you
                              would like
                              > to see come after that.
                              >

                              > Manny Olds (oldsma@p...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA
                              > Coordinator, Asatru-U (http://www.asatru-u.org)
                            • Felipe Brum
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 22, 2003
                                What do you mean with "no be a german descent"? Do you realy think it is necessary to follow the Asaway?

                                MC <mcperron@...> wrote:
                                Hi Manny and all!

                                I just started the course about a week ago (currently reading the Do-
                                It-Yourself Ritual kit. Very short and brief. Perfect to pack meat
                                around the bones afterwards). I stumbled upon it while doing some
                                research on Asatru. It turns out it was exactly what I was looking
                                for! Even though some of the links were down, I managed to find
                                pretty much every article except one.

                                What I like the most is that it is gradual and gives a good overview
                                of the different categories and possibilities. The fact that there
                                are different voices all throughout the course keeps me interested
                                and gives great website references!

                                Contrary to many here, I am not of German descent. I'm in Canada,
                                Ontario, but originally from Quebec where my ancestors have been for
                                about 400 years after coming from France. I also started out on the
                                Pagan/Wiccan path though I found Asatru through my husband. I found
                                that I needed a solid religion. Even though it is being
                                reconstructed, the basis are good and the background is real.

                                What could be added to the list would be Fantasy books relating to
                                either Asatru or Vikings. It makes this old world seem alive (when
                                the book is good, obviously). One I would recommend is Warriors of
                                the Way by Harry Harrison. I enjoyed it immensely and as I go
                                through the course, I remember things from the book and I can now
                                nod knowingly *grin*.

                                A section on the old Norse language might also be interesting. There
                                is a course on-line that I'm currently following and which is pretty
                                user-friendly. A link to it would be graet if possible.

                                Thirdly, a section on the story of the resurgence of Asatru.

                                Well, that's pretty much it! If I think of more things after I
                                finish reading, I'll post. Thank you very much for all the time and
                                effort that is being put into this work. It is very appreciated and
                                helps to keep the stories alive and kicking.

                                MC

                                > We are particularly interested in your comments on what about our
                                > beginner's course has or has not met your needs. And what you
                                would like
                                > to see come after that.
                                >

                                > Manny Olds (oldsma@p...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA
                                > Coordinator, Asatru-U (http://www.asatru-u.org)

                                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                              • MC
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 24, 2003
                                  Not at all. It's simply that many of the posts before that were all
                                  pointing to their German descent. For someone looking from the outside,
                                  it might have seem that everyone on the newsgroup was of German descent.

                                  From what I have been reading, I know that there are some who believe
                                  that a German descent is necesary to follow this path. It is not my
                                  belief. I also find it interesting to find out where people are coming
                                  from, culturally speaking and what drew them here. (I totally blam my
                                  background in anthropology for that one) :)

                                  MC

                                  MC <mcperron@...> wrote:
                                  Hi Manny and all!

                                  I just started the course about a week ago (currently reading the Do-
                                  It-Yourself Ritual kit. Very short and brief. Perfect to pack meat
                                  around the bones afterwards). I stumbled upon it while doing some
                                  research on Asatru. It turns out it was exactly what I was looking
                                  for! Even though some of the links were down, I managed to find
                                  pretty much every article except one.

                                  What I like the most is that it is gradual and gives a good overview
                                  of the different categories and possibilities. The fact that there
                                  are different voices all throughout the course keeps me interested
                                  and gives great website references!

                                  Contrary to many here, I am not of German descent. I'm in Canada,
                                  Ontario, but originally from Quebec where my ancestors have been for
                                  about 400 years after coming from France. I also started out on the
                                  Pagan/Wiccan path though I found Asatru through my husband. I found
                                  that I needed a solid religion. Even though it is being
                                  reconstructed, the basis are good and the background is real.

                                  What could be added to the list would be Fantasy books relating to
                                  either Asatru or Vikings. It makes this old world seem alive (when
                                  the book is good, obviously). One I would recommend is Warriors of
                                  the Way by Harry Harrison. I enjoyed it immensely and as I go
                                  through the course, I remember things from the book and I can now
                                  nod knowingly *grin*.

                                  A section on the old Norse language might also be interesting. There
                                  is a course on-line that I'm currently following and which is pretty
                                  user-friendly. A link to it would be graet if possible.

                                  Thirdly, a section on the story of the resurgence of Asatru.

                                  Well, that's pretty much it! If I think of more things after I
                                  finish reading, I'll post. Thank you very much for all the time and
                                  effort that is being put into this work. It is very appreciated and
                                  helps to keep the stories alive and kicking.

                                  MC

                                  > We are particularly interested in your comments on what about our
                                  > beginner's course has or has not met your needs. And what you
                                  would like
                                  > to see come after that.
                                  >

                                  > Manny Olds (oldsma@p...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA
                                  > Coordinator, Asatru-U (http://www.asatru-u.org)