Poetic Edda Questions

  • Bryan <blueface_warrior@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
      I have heard the story about the original book of Poetic Eddas being
      found in an old barn sometime in the 1700's. Does this original
      book still exist today or has it since been lost?

      One more, How much influence (if any) did Christianity have in
      this book? There seems to be some similarities to the Chrisitan
      bible in the Eddas. The most similar to me would be the Havamal.
      Some of these stanzas seem very similar to some Proverbs.

      Thanks for any help!
    • heathensailor <heathensailor@mobiletel.c
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2003
        --- In Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan <blueface_warrior@y...>"
        <blueface_warrior@y...> wrote:
        > I have heard the story about the original book of Poetic Eddas
        being
        > found in an old barn sometime in the 1700's. Does this original
        > book still exist today or has it since been lost?
        >
        > One more, How much influence (if any) did Christianity have in
        > this book? There seems to be some similarities to the Chrisitan
        > bible in the Eddas. The most similar to me would be the Havamal.
        > Some of these stanzas seem very similar to some Proverbs.
        >
        > Thanks for any help!

        Bryan-

        This group isn't really set up to deal directly with these questions,
        so I'll be brief. For more, you may wish to join any of the several
        Asatru groups if your interest is religious, or otherwise a medieval
        history group.

        The Poetic Eddas were poems, handed down orally. After conversion,
        more or less, some of these were written down. Two or three
        manuscripts have survived. They are, I believe, now in Denmark, maybe
        Iceland. To our knowledge, there was not one complete authoratitve
        book.

        As to what influence christianity may have had, the discussion goes
        on. Opinions range from none to very extensive. Most of the
        manuscripts were written by christians, either monks or laymen as
        they were generally the only ones literate. Another question would be
        what classical influences were there.

        Similar expressions in different cultures do not mean a common
        influence. Also what was recorded may not be an accurate reflection
        of what was known or believed.

        Welcome to Asatru, the religion with homework.