Beginner's course problems

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 28, 2002
      Hello all,

      I am almost done with the updates and wanted to bring these two entries to
      everyone's attention.

      Particularly bad article except for the recent stuff. The early history is
      awful:
      K. Chronology of the Heathen World
      Asatru Chronology (up to 1992)
      Taken from Teutonic Religion by Kevldulf Gundarsson, additions by Grimnir
      Svithrirsson
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/4178/asatru/chronology.html
      This is a timeline of Heathen religion from the earliest days to its
      modern rebirth.

      Wouldn't open, anyone know anything?:
      The Return of the Völva: Recovering the Practice of Seið
      by Diana L. Paxson
      http://www.vinland.org/heathen/hrafnar/seidh.html
      A user-friendly article written for the periodical Mountain Thunder,
      this essay introduces Seidh as a form of "Norse Shamanism" and takes the
      reader on a guided journey according to the procedure used at Hrafnar. The
      article ends with a statement on the purpose of Seidh and ways that it can
      be used in modern society. (For additional Mountain Thunder articles, see
      http://www.vinland.org/heathen/mt/.)

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 28, 2002
        On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 08:57:26AM -0600, Rick A. Riedlinger wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I am almost done with the updates and wanted to bring these two entries to
        > everyone's attention.
        >

        > Wouldn't open, anyone know anything?:
        > The Return of the Völva: Recovering the Practice of Seið
        > by Diana L. Paxson
        > http://www.vinland.org/heathen/hrafnar/seidh.html
        > A user-friendly article written for the periodical Mountain Thunder,
        > this essay introduces Seidh as a form of "Norse Shamanism" and takes the
        > reader on a guided journey according to the procedure used at Hrafnar. The
        > article ends with a statement on the purpose of Seidh and ways that it can
        > be used in modern society. (For additional Mountain Thunder articles, see
        > http://www.vinland.org/heathen/mt/.)

        "Yeah," said the webmistress, "what you got there is the wrong
        URL. The Hrafnar site moved to its own domain years ago. Here's the article
        you're looking for:"

        http://www.hrafnar.org/seidh/seidh.html

        Hope that helps. 8-)

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 29, 2002
          On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Rick A. Riedlinger wrote:

          > Particularly bad article except for the recent stuff. The early history is
          > awful:
          >
          > K. Chronology of the Heathen World
          > Asatru Chronology (up to 1992)
          > Taken from Teutonic Religion by Kevldulf Gundarsson,
          > additions by Grimnir Svithrirsson
          > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/4178/asatru/chronology.html
          > This is a timeline of Heathen religion from the earliest days
          > to its modern rebirth.

          What shall we do about this? Delete the link, include a caution, or leave
          it as is?

          Manny
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 29, 2002
            On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 11:31:31AM -0500, Manny Olds wrote:
            > On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Rick A. Riedlinger wrote:
            >
            > > Particularly bad article except for the recent stuff. The early history is
            > > awful:
            > >
            > > K. Chronology of the Heathen World
            > > Asatru Chronology (up to 1992)
            > > Taken from Teutonic Religion by Kevldulf Gundarsson,
            > > additions by Grimnir Svithrirsson
            > > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/4178/asatru/chronology.html
            > > This is a timeline of Heathen religion from the earliest days
            > > to its modern rebirth.
            >
            > What shall we do about this? Delete the link, include a caution, or leave
            > it as is?

            Leaving aside the groanworthy factual errors and the screechingly
            clashy website style, did 'Grimnir' get Kveldulf's permission to quote
            great swaths of _Teutonic Religion_? Oh, and the most recent stuff commits
            some interesting sins of omission, e.g. yeah, Steve McNallen founded an
            organization called the AFA, but 'F' went from 'Free' to 'Folk' in the
            process, but this may be an error inherited from the source material.

            -- Lorrie
          • tsdoughty@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 29, 2002
              Rick,

              > >Particularly bad article except for the recent stuff. The early history is
              > >awful:
              > >
              > > K. Chronology of the Heathen World
              > > Asatru Chronology (up to 1992)
              > > Taken from Teutonic Religion by Kevldulf Gundarsson,
              > > additions by Grimnir Svithrirsson
              > > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/4178/asatru/chronology.html
              > > This is a timeline of Heathen religion from the earliest days
              > > to its modern rebirth.

              Manny,

              > What shall we do about this? Delete the link, include a caution, or leave
              > it as is?

              My vote is to leave it in with a caveat, since I think it's better than
              nothing, and it's fairly interesting. Rick, you disapprove because you know
              so much about all that early stuff, but to me it gives a broad if blurry
              overview. The one thing I really hate is the "Runic Era in 250 B.C.", but
              again, I'm not prepared to write a better version on my own.

              Tim