Re: [Asatru-U] On-topic discussion of pronounciation

  • tsdoughty@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 28, 2002
      In a message dated 6/28/2002 4:34:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      mekboy@... writes:

      > Now that I've tossed this out there, and admitted my waffality on the
      > topic, what do yins think?

      Well, I agree that many pronunciations of words and names from dead languages
      are possible, and vary according to one's nationality and home language.
      Besides that, everyone has the freedom to say these things they way he or she
      wants, but I think that most people would prefer to say things in the same
      way as a majority of people around them are doing. And the trouble with
      newbies is that few have a chance to hear those around them pronounce the
      things because they're isolated.

      If we can find good pronunciation sites to point people to, that's fine. If
      not, we can devise them ourselves (I'll volunteer unless someone has already
      done this -- it seems like I've seen one or two good pronunciation tables
      posted on lists.) Of course, anything that we put forward should have layers
      of disclaimers saying what I've said above, that there is no absolute "right"
      way to adhere to. Would that do?

      Tim