Re: [Asatru-U] So it's just me, then?

  • Sorin Olson
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2002
      Go for it. I'm all for it.

      S.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Manny Olds" <oldsma@...>
      To: "Asatru Curriculum discussion" <Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 10:17 AM
      Subject: [Asatru-U] So it's just me, then?

      > Okay, if it is just me working on these courses, I have to set some
      > priorities.
      >
      > Looking at Groa's proposal and thinking about possible alternative texts,
      > I see that books OOP is going to be one of our critical issues. So I am
      > going to let the outlines sit for a while and start to work on getting
      > Asatru-U Press established.
      >
      > My first step is figuring out how to get a small publishing company
      > going. At least we have the FWA incorporation and 501(c)3 as a basis. And
      > then I will have to get a good and inexpensive advisor on Intellectual
      > Property law. Somewhere in there, an income stream.
      >
      > In the meantime, I need to decide which texts each course will use and
      > work the outline from there. If anyone has any input, send it along.
      >
      > Administrative note: I am investigating the possibility of getting this
      > mailing list off of Yahoo. I will give all of you a chance to opt out
      > before the email addresses are transferred (if I decide to make the
      > change).
      >

      > Manny Olds, (oldsma@...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA
      >
      > "And there is always the zen pleasure of the project that no one in their
      > right mind would ever undertake... " -- LAW (Leigh Witchel)

    • Kevin Steffen
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2002
        My reasons parallel those of Arlie fairly much, but I will elaborate -

        Just getting off three months of 7 day a week work (not on her list)so I
        have been mainly lurking.

        Many of the books listed are not in the county's library system - and
        they want $50 for an Inter Library Loan - in one instance a $29 book if
        I special ordered from Barnes and Noble. Was cheaper to drive to the
        next county where the book was to spend a half hour checking out the
        eight pages I was interested in. So, I am unable to comment on some of
        the books listed and cannot say which of two I would recommend first.

        Suggestion - how about a section - "Fact and Fantasy" - where we can
        discuss some of the UPGs on the Aesir and lore - covering support in
        lore, or contradictions to the statements. As an example in OUR TROTH,
        there are several instances where I believe I found some statements
        about the deities which are contradicted by lore or later research. That
        is something everyone could add to. If someone wanted to add their own
        UPG and attribute it to an anonymous source, they could.

        Night Winds