So it's just me, then?

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2002
      Okay, if it is just me working on these courses, I have to set some
      priorities.

      Looking at Groa's proposal and thinking about possible alternative texts,
      I see that books OOP is going to be one of our critical issues. So I am
      going to let the outlines sit for a while and start to work on getting
      Asatru-U Press established.

      My first step is figuring out how to get a small publishing company
      going. At least we have the FWA incorporation and 501(c)3 as a basis. And
      then I will have to get a good and inexpensive advisor on Intellectual
      Property law. Somewhere in there, an income stream.

      In the meantime, I need to decide which texts each course will use and
      work the outline from there. If anyone has any input, send it along.

      Administrative note: I am investigating the possibility of getting this
      mailing list off of Yahoo. I will give all of you a chance to opt out
      before the email addresses are transferred (if I decide to make the
      change).

      Manny Olds, (oldsma@...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA

      "And there is always the zen pleasure of the project that no one in their
      right mind would ever undertake... " -- LAW (Leigh Witchel)
    • Arlie Stephens
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8, 2002
        On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:17:56AM -0500, Manny Olds wrote:

        > Okay, if it is just me working on these courses, I have to set some
        > priorities.

        The trouble is, I can't find any place to get involved. I can't create
        something I don't understand ... and fundamentally, the outlines we've
        had flying by aren't arranged the way I think. It's not that there are
        specific omissions and problems I can point out; it's that I fundamentally
        don't "get" it.

        > Looking at Groa's proposal and thinking about possible alternative texts,
        > I see that books OOP is going to be one of our critical issues. So I am
        > going to let the outlines sit for a while and start to work on getting
        > Asatru-U Press established.

        This looks like a good thing in itself, though not something where I have
        knowledge or expertise.

        > My first step is figuring out how to get a small publishing company
        > going. At least we have the FWA incorporation and 501(c)3 as a basis. And
        > then I will have to get a good and inexpensive advisor on Intellectual
        > Property law. Somewhere in there, an income stream.
        >
        > In the meantime, I need to decide which texts each course will use and
        > work the outline from there. If anyone has any input, send it along.

        *sigh* Like many people, I've never gotten a chance to read a considerable
        portion of the out of print material, to my great frustration. Of course
        that makes it difficult to recommend texts worthy of trying to get back
        into print.

        > Administrative note: I am investigating the possibility of getting this
        > mailing list off of Yahoo. I will give all of you a chance to opt out
        > before the email addresses are transferred (if I decide to make the
        > change).

        The one thing I'd be concerned about with moving off of Yahoo would be
        visibility. The list won't be as obvious to people who might be idly
        checking for Asatru-oriented groups. But that might not matter with this
        group; in fact, it might even be an advantage, since it isn't supposed
        to be a general purpose heathen list.

        --
        Arlie

        (Arlie Stephens arlie@...)
      • Hallvarðr Geirvarsson
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8, 2002
          Sorry, I'm in the process of moving from Texas to Oklahoma, starting a
          new job, and buying a house. It's been chaotic lately, and I haven't had
          much time for anything else!

          On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:17:56AM -0500, Manny Olds wrote:
          > Okay, if it is just me working on these courses, I have to set some
          > priorities.
          >
          > Looking at Groa's proposal and thinking about possible alternative texts,
          > I see that books OOP is going to be one of our critical issues. So I am
          > going to let the outlines sit for a while and start to work on getting
          > Asatru-U Press established.
          >
          > My first step is figuring out how to get a small publishing company
          > going. At least we have the FWA incorporation and 501(c)3 as a basis. And
          > then I will have to get a good and inexpensive advisor on Intellectual
          > Property law. Somewhere in there, an income stream.
          >
          > In the meantime, I need to decide which texts each course will use and
          > work the outline from there. If anyone has any input, send it along.
          >
          > Administrative note: I am investigating the possibility of getting this
          > mailing list off of Yahoo. I will give all of you a chance to opt out
          > before the email addresses are transferred (if I decide to make the
          > change).
          >

          > Manny Olds, (oldsma@...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA
          >
          > "And there is always the zen pleasure of the project that no one in their
          > right mind would ever undertake... " -- LAW (Leigh Witchel)

          Hallvarðr Geirvarsson
          hallvarth@...
          "Freiheit stirbt in kleinen Stücken."
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 8, 2002
            On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Hallvarðr Geirvarsson wrote:

            > Sorry, I'm in the process of moving from Texas to Oklahoma, starting a
            > new job, and buying a house. It's been chaotic lately, and I haven't had
            > much time for anything else!

            I know that everyone has good reasons. I can sincerely tell you am I not
            sitting here thinking Bad Thoughts about you all. But good intentions
            won't get anything on paper, and I don't see everyone getting clear
            schedules.

            Leaving me to press on as best I can.

            Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA

            "I don't know the story of Amana, but I'd imagine that--like all
            attempts to form Utopian societies--it failed because it had people
            in it." -- Paraic O'Donnell
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 8, 2002
              On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Arlie Stephens wrote:

              > On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:17:56AM -0500, Manny Olds wrote:
              > >
              > > Okay, if it is just me working on these courses, I have to set some
              > > priorities.
              >
              > The trouble is, I can't find any place to get involved. I can't create
              > something I don't understand ... and fundamentally, the outlines we've
              > had flying by aren't arranged the way I think. It's not that there are
              > specific omissions and problems I can point out; it's that I fundamentally
              > don't "get" it.

              This is a serious concern to me. So what shape fits your landscape better?

              Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA

              "It would appear that Goedel's theorem is now in contention with the
              Heisenberg uncertainty principle for being the most misunderstood and
              distorted by people who wish to use them to bolster arguments in domains
              where they don't really apply. Surely the halting problem and P!=NP are
              next." -- Paul Butzi
            • tsdoughty@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 8, 2002
                > I know that everyone has good reasons. I can sincerely tell you am I not
                > sitting here thinking Bad Thoughts about you all. But good intentions
                > won't get anything on paper, and I don't see everyone getting clear
                > schedules.

                I have been non-contributing for the same reason as Arlie: for the life of
                me I can't think of what I can do at this point -- not about the course
                outline, but about any of the jobs needed to push the project forward.
                Nothing seems to fall into my area of expertise (if any) that I can volunteer
                for. I mean, I have no idea how to build a publishing operation from the
                ground up, for example. Think of me as an office drone, a common grunt, and
                if someone can think of a task to delegate to me, I'll be glad to help.

                Tim

              • Sorin Olson
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 9, 2002
                  Go for it. I'm all for it.

                  S.

                  > Okay, if it is just me working on these courses, I have to set some
                  > priorities.
                  >
                  > Looking at Groa's proposal and thinking about possible alternative texts,
                  > I see that books OOP is going to be one of our critical issues. So I am
                  > going to let the outlines sit for a while and start to work on getting
                  > Asatru-U Press established.
                  >
                  > My first step is figuring out how to get a small publishing company
                  > going. At least we have the FWA incorporation and 501(c)3 as a basis. And
                  > then I will have to get a good and inexpensive advisor on Intellectual
                  > Property law. Somewhere in there, an income stream.
                  >
                  > In the meantime, I need to decide which texts each course will use and
                  > work the outline from there. If anyone has any input, send it along.
                  >
                  > Administrative note: I am investigating the possibility of getting this
                  > mailing list off of Yahoo. I will give all of you a chance to opt out
                  > before the email addresses are transferred (if I decide to make the
                  > change).
                  >

                  > Manny Olds, (oldsma@...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA
                  >
                  > "And there is always the zen pleasure of the project that no one in their
                  > right mind would ever undertake... " -- LAW (Leigh Witchel)

                • Kevin Steffen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 9, 2002
                    My reasons parallel those of Arlie fairly much, but I will elaborate -

                    Just getting off three months of 7 day a week work (not on her list)so I
                    have been mainly lurking.

                    Many of the books listed are not in the county's library system - and
                    they want $50 for an Inter Library Loan - in one instance a $29 book if
                    I special ordered from Barnes and Noble. Was cheaper to drive to the
                    next county where the book was to spend a half hour checking out the
                    eight pages I was interested in. So, I am unable to comment on some of
                    the books listed and cannot say which of two I would recommend first.

                    Suggestion - how about a section - "Fact and Fantasy" - where we can
                    discuss some of the UPGs on the Aesir and lore - covering support in
                    lore, or contradictions to the statements. As an example in OUR TROTH,
                    there are several instances where I believe I found some statements
                    about the deities which are contradicted by lore or later research. That
                    is something everyone could add to. If someone wanted to add their own
                    UPG and attribute it to an anonymous source, they could.

                    Night Winds