Outlines

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2002
      So, Groa has suggested four courses at the next level: Gods, Wights (&
      Death & c.), Us, and Wyrd. With overlapping.

      I think the first thing we need to do is list some more specific topics to
      cover in each of the 4, then choose the texts. Then we can detail the
      outlines and work on getting the texts in print somehow.

      Let's start with the "Gods" course. What (generally) do we think that
      should cover?

      Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA

      If you seek my church, look around you.
    • Ann Sheffield
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2002
        From: Manny Olds <oldsma@...>

        >So, Groa has suggested four courses at the next level: Gods, Wights (&
        >Death & c.), Us, and Wyrd. With overlapping.

        The reason I've never gotten around to posting on all this is that I intended to refer to my notes on Karl's suggestions, which are currently buried under strata of domestic chaos. What I had wanted to do - and will now attempt to do without notes - is summarize the three different approaches that had been suggested.

        1. Gods/Vaettir/Us/Wyrd - model suggested by me. I'll give details of how it might be approached in a separate post.

        Comments: reasonably good texts exist for all the courses except "Us" (assuming we can get access to Bauschatz, that is). Emphasizes the idea that Heathenism is fundamentally about relationships. May overemphasize the "gods orientation" (see below) which characterizes my own position.

        2. Orientation towards Culture/Gods/Magic, plus central course on Wyrd - model suggested by Manny.

        Comments: tackles the "fault lines" in modern Heathenry head-on. Balances attention to all the different areas. May overemphasize differences and make divisions sound more clear-cut than they are in reality. Will be difficult to construct without offending some groups or else papering over significant differences in outlook.

        3. Courses organized along traditional academic lines (history, archaeology, religious studies, etc.) - model suggested by Karl.

        Comments: may be easiest to construct, as we can draw on texts and course structures developed within the respective disciplines. May not really get at some key issues.

        Wassail,

        Ann Groa

        Medoburg Kindred
        www.medoburg.org
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2002
          From: "Ann Sheffield" <asheffie@...>

          > 3. Courses organized along traditional academic lines (history,
          archaeology, religious studies, etc.) - model suggested by Karl.

          As odd as it may seem, i've always used some manner of scientific method, as
          it were, for spiritual growth. I don't know that it necessarily works for
          anyone.... ;-)

          '/\` Frith upon your house
          //\\ Karl Donaldsson
          \\// mekboy@...