One very clean cat

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
      I have two more versions of possible Asa-U arms to look at:

      http://www.asatru-u.org/common/images/arms-crossed-tools-05.jpg
      http://www.asatru-u.org/common/images/arms-crossed-tools-06.jpg

      Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA

      "True diversity means being willing to live side by side with people who will
      never, ever agree with you." -- Drew Campbell
    • Ann Sheffield
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
        Manny Olds wrote:

        > I have two more versions of possible Asa-U arms to look at:
        >
        > http://www.asatru-u.org/common/images/arms-crossed-tools-05.jpg
        > http://www.asatru-u.org/common/images/arms-crossed-tools-06.jpg

        I like v.6 - I think it works.

        What symbolic import do you assign to the colors, BTW? My major
        association for blue is "death" because of all those blue-cloak-wearing
        slayers in the sagas, but I imagine you had something else in mind.
        And, the blue looks good.

        Wassail,

        Groa
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
          On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Ann Sheffield wrote:

          > And, the blue looks good.

          That was pretty much it. I like blue and green together.

          Technically, it is correct to put "proper" (in their natural color)
          charges on either colors or metals (gold and silver). So, as I have cut
          and pasted it, we are okay. I am still thinking it about the field,
          though.

          I worry about arms that will be easy for us to reproduce. The more we pile
          up in one spot, the messier it will be in b/w. And "proper" is usually
          conveyed by realistic-looking shading, again hard to reproduce clearly.
          The reason I lean toward #5 is because I think it (with cleaner, more
          stylized charges; the stacked leather Has To Go) would be easier to
          reproduce on a budget.

          (If we stylize the charges that changes the tincture rules that apply, so
          we might have to reconsider the field anyway.)

          BTW, the crest (key) is for FWA.
        • Kadlin Waltheofsdottir
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
            Manny Olds wrote:

            > I worry about arms that will be easy for us to reproduce. The more
            > we pile up in one spot, the messier it will be in b/w. And "proper"

            Generally, I like it, and I like the idea of the arms being in a
            lozenge (Frigga being a lady, after all!), but I share your concerns
            about the charges being all stacked on top of each other: it makes
            them hard to distinguish.

            --Kadlin
          • Ann Sheffield
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
              Kadlin Waltheofsdottir wrote:

              > Manny Olds wrote:
              >
              > > I worry about arms that will be easy for us to reproduce. The more
              > > we pile up in one spot, the messier it will be in b/w. And "proper"
              >
              > Generally, I like it, and I like the idea of the arms being in a
              > lozenge (Frigga being a lady, after all!), but I share your concerns
              > about the charges being all stacked on top of each other:

              What if the key were pulled into the lozenge, and the apple were above
              the crossed tools with the key below?

              Wassail,

              Groa
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                >From: Manny Olds <oldsma@...>
                >To: Asatru Curriculum discussion <Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: [Asatru-U] One very clean cat
                >Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:05:35 -0400 (EDT)
                >
                >I have two more versions of possible Asa-U arms to look at:
                >
                > http://www.asatru-u.org/common/images/arms-crossed-tools-05.jpg
                > http://www.asatru-u.org/common/images/arms-crossed-tools-06.jpg

                Hail the hairless cat! Well done, i like the one with the diamond (v.06)
                better, myself.

                '/\` Frith upon your house
                //\\ Karl Donaldsson
                \\// mekboy@...
                `\/' http://www.geocities.com/svalich
                ------> Would you know more, or what? <------
                Get Asatru education at http://www.asatru-u.org
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                  http://www.asatru-u.org/common/images/arms-crossed-tools-07.jpg

                  This one is uglier, but gives you some idea of what it would look like
                  with more stylized tools. Here is the blazon as I have it. I'd like to get
                  *that* cleaned up to professional standards, too.

                  Per fess or and azure; in chief, an Macintosh apple proper, slipped and
                  leaved proper; in base, a smith's hammer argent hafted red and a sax knife
                  argent hilted murrey saltirewise points upward.

                  Crest: A key or fesswise.

                  Motto: Vitud ér enn, eda hvat?

                  Manny
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                    On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 01:13:47PM -0400, Manny Olds wrote:
                    > http://www.asatru-u.org/common/images/arms-crossed-tools-07.jpg
                    >
                    > This one is uglier, but gives you some idea of what it would look like
                    > with more stylized tools. Here is the blazon as I have it. I'd like to get
                    > *that* cleaned up to professional standards, too.
                    >
                    > Per fess or and azure; in chief, an Macintosh apple proper, slipped and
                    > leaved proper; in base, a smith's hammer argent hafted red and a sax knife
                    > argent hilted murrey saltirewise points upward.
                    >
                    > Crest: A key or fesswise.
                    >
                    > Motto: Vitud ér enn, eda hvat?

                    It should probably be an apple that's been drawn rather than a
                    picture of one -- it breaks the tone to have the picture in there. Oh,
                    and the apple is McIntosh -- Macintosh is for iMacs. 8-)

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                      On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Lorrie Wood wrote:

                      http://www.asatru-u.org/common/images/arms-crossed-tools-07.jpg

                      Per fess or and azure; in chief, an McIntosh apple proper, slipped and
                      leaved proper; in base, a smith's hammer argent hafted red and a sax
                      knife argent hilted murrey saltirewise points upward.

                      Crest: A key or fesswise.
                      Motto: Vitud ér enn, eda hvat?

                      > It should probably be an apple that's been drawn rather than a
                      > picture of one -- it breaks the tone to have the picture in there.

                      Yes, yes. And if someone will *DRAW ONE* and give it to me, I'll be
                      pleased to use it. I am just messing around with images I already have on
                      my disk to get an idea of what the blazon looks like. This is prototype,
                      not production.

                      Manny
                    • Ann Sheffield
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                        Manny Olds wrote:

                        > leaved proper; in base, a smith's hammer argent hafted red a

                        I think the herald-ese for "red" is "gules."

                        Wassail,

                        Groa
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                          On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Ann Sheffield wrote:

                          > Manny Olds wrote:
                          > >

                          > > leaved proper; in base, a smith's hammer argent hafted red a
                          >
                          > I think the herald-ese for "red" is "gules."

                          Yep, that one slipped through the filter.

                          http://www.asatru-u.org/common/images/arms-crossed-tools-07.jpg

                          Per fess or and azure; in chief, an McIntosh apple proper, slipped and
                          leaved proper; in base, a smith's hammer argent hafted gules and a sax

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                            On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 01:25:08PM -0400, Manny Olds wrote:
                            > On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Lorrie Wood wrote:
                            >
                            > http://www.asatru-u.org/common/images/arms-crossed-tools-07.jpg
                            >
                            > Per fess or and azure; in chief, an McIntosh apple proper, slipped and
                            > leaved proper; in base, a smith's hammer argent hafted red and a sax
                            > knife argent hilted murrey saltirewise points upward.
                            >
                            > Crest: A key or fesswise.
                            > Motto: Vitud ér enn, eda hvat?

                            Hey, you're missing your eths there, too, but I reckoned you just
                            didn't know how to wring them from a normal keyboard (the technique is,
                            I admit, Sufficiently Obscure).

                            > > It should probably be an apple that's been drawn rather than a
                            > > picture of one -- it breaks the tone to have the picture in there.
                            >
                            > Yes, yes. And if someone will *DRAW ONE* and give it to me, I'll be
                            > pleased to use it. I am just messing around with images I already have on
                            > my disk to get an idea of what the blazon looks like. This is prototype,
                            > not production.

                            In your home directory, then, please find a zip file full of
                            apples -- some drawn, some not, I just randomly sacked clip art sites for
                            them.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                              On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Lorrie Wood wrote:

                              > > Motto: Vitud ér enn, eda hvat?
                              >
                              > Hey, you're missing your eths there, too, but I reckoned you just
                              > didn't know how to wring them from a normal keyboard (the technique is,
                              > I admit, Sufficiently Obscure).

                              No, I eth all the time & my file copy has them. I think that there was
                              some kind of wacky "who needs all those bits anyway?" translation going on
                              somewhere out there in the great bit stream.

                              And thank you for the apples.

                              Manny