Re: Thought on content

  • kadlinw@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 52 , Apr 16, 2001
      Manny Olds wrote:
      > What do we think about getting permission from the various
      > authors to take and keep extracts at our site, to make sure
      > the best stuff doesn't just vanish?

      Before we even get to that point, I was thinking it might be
      polite (and flattering to the writers) to let the folks whose
      articles are linked to the course know.

      > But what about philosophically? Is this a sound idea?
      I agree with the point that others have made that we don't want
      the courses to stagnate. I think that it would depend on the
      article. Some things are going to withstand the test of time better
      than others. Articles that are more research-oriented are going to
      resist stagnation longer, for example. Assuming that no new primary
      sources come to light, I'm sure that Gunnora's article on
      Homosexuality in the Viking Age is going to be useful five years from
      now. On the other hand, Karl's article on the Tectonic Plates, based
      as it is on observations of modern heathen culture is going to need
      regular revision. In between articles based on research and UPG
      together, as well as on current practice (like those on ritual) are
      going to need revision, but not as often as Karl's essay.

      One of the things that I like about the course is that it does
      force people to visit many different sites out on the 'net. I think
      it gives the user a feeling for the diversity in heathenism. Also,
      someone reading an article from the course might stay and check the
      other stuff on a given site-- this will also help them learn and
      grow. If all the pages are on Asatru-U, that will be lost.

      Perhaps the better choice is to notify people who have articles
      up that their articles are being used, and ask if we can post it if
      their page ever vanishes. If they say yes, we can save a backup copy
      against future need.

      On the other hand, if we'd rather keep people on the Asatru-U
      site, perhaps we should ask permission to post copies of the
      documents ourselves from the get-go. What do you folks think? What
      are the advantages and disadvantages?

      --Kadlin
      Message 52 of 52 , May 21 10:57 AM
        On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 12:55:25PM -0700, Swain Wodening wrote:

        > > You can use perl *as* a server side include! Mwahaha!
        >
        > Oh I know.... (-' Makes you wonder why the unenlightened ever try to use
        > Java!

        Don't get me started on Java...

        All right, let's get back to topic!