2539Re: Question about spells and sacred times.

  • egilhalson
    Apr 10, 2012
      Has anyone heard of something called "skin walking?" I've only read about it once on a website that I can't seem to find now, and even then, the info about it was obscure other than it was something Odin did to travel in the form of another animal.

      --- In Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com, Scott Mohnkern <mohnkern@...> wrote:

      > I'm sure there are many different answers to this, but from my perspective,
      > there really isn't a specific "time of month or year" where "spell work" is
      > done.
      >
      > Is their "spell work" within the Asatru faith? There's definitely
      > historical evidence of it, you have the example's in Egil's saga as well as
      > the Germania (divination). You also have Seidhr, which has been compared
      > to shamanic practices, and Galdr.
      >
      > How prevalent is it? Arguably less in Asatru when compared with other
      > traditions. I've talked to many Asatruar that never engage in what you
      > would likely call "spell work." They don't perform divination using the
      > runes, or engage in other spell like practices.
      >
      > However, for others, it is an integral component of their ongoing
      > practice. Even for these people, the spell work never "overrides" the
      > other parts of the faith (blots, sumbels, and honoring the gods through
      > deeds).
      >
      > Perhaps the way to think of it is that spell work is generally asking for
      > the gods to help us, in a very specific way, and I've always said that the
      > Norse gods expect you to take care of your own house.
      >
      > Scott
      >
      > Scott Mohnkern
      >

      > On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM, herblady27 <herblady27@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > This may seem like a silly question but I am really new to Asatru and am
      > > working on becoming a student. I have not fully read through all the sagas
      > > and Eddas yet and am looking for information on spells and times of the
      > > month.
      > >
      > > Its general pagan traditions such as wicca that teach the waxing and the
      > > wanning of the moon and spellwork. I've not done a whole lot of research on
      > > this but am wondering if there is anything in Asatru about the sigificance
      > > of certain times of the month or year and when to do spells or if spellwork
      > > is considered a part of the Asatru faith.
      > >
      > > -Charlotte-

    »
    «