2536Re: [Asatru-U] Question about spells and sacred times.

  • Scott Mohnkern
    Apr 9, 2012
      I'm sure there are many different answers to this, but from my perspective,
      there really isn't a specific "time of month or year" where "spell work" is
      done.

      Is their "spell work" within the Asatru faith? There's definitely
      historical evidence of it, you have the example's in Egil's saga as well as
      the Germania (divination). You also have Seidhr, which has been compared
      to shamanic practices, and Galdr.

      How prevalent is it? Arguably less in Asatru when compared with other
      traditions. I've talked to many Asatruar that never engage in what you
      would likely call "spell work." They don't perform divination using the
      runes, or engage in other spell like practices.

      However, for others, it is an integral component of their ongoing
      practice. Even for these people, the spell work never "overrides" the
      other parts of the faith (blots, sumbels, and honoring the gods through
      deeds).

      Perhaps the way to think of it is that spell work is generally asking for
      the gods to help us, in a very specific way, and I've always said that the
      Norse gods expect you to take care of your own house.

      Scott

      Scott Mohnkern