2512Re: What is Sidir?

  • Marla
    Jul 8, 2008
      I enjoyed reading this alot.Looked up Foxfire. and I have a special
      place in the back of the yard I am setting up for meditation...has a
      few stumps and i intend on using them to sit on under lots of oak
      trees...seems as tho info comes to me at times I am wondering but do
      not ask...this has been one of the inspirations I needed.... Thanks
      for this piece! BB ~V~

      --- In Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony W. McPherson"
      <Gothisson@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > taught more of the "mechanics" of life.
      > Some rituals could be thought of as "magic" of a sort, but that is
      > simply the gods being asked to act. "Magic" as I use the term here
      > is more of the actions of the person, with some assistance of the
      > gods and goddesses in some cases.
      > There are few hard lines drawn between the different types
      > of "magic", many "gray areas" and borders between the different
      types
      > exist. Many times people hold more than one skill or discipline
      and
      > the crossover is just a natural occurrence. The following is a
      > generalization only!
      >
      > Galdr: is the casting of magic by chanting or singing. The gods
      and
      > goddesses, especially ODIN and BALDER are very much impressed, and
      > therefore influenced, by Poetry and Song. Verse and/or song
      > would "get their attention", especially if the song was well sung
      and
      > the lyrics of the song or words of the poem were witty, sincere,
      > uplifting, honorable or ins some other way pleasing to them. The
      > words and music are also a type of "offering" or sacrifice which
      they
      > might appreciate, if not just a "jingle" to attract their
      attention.
      > This would include some of the runic type of magic, but not
      > necessarily all, and not all Galdr is Runic. This has been a
      > powerful type of magic in many cultures throughout history.
      > Lullabies were originally a charm sung over a baby before it went
      > sleep to protect him or her from wights that would harm them in the
      > night.
      > Love songs were originally "charms" or "spells" to win your
      intended.
      > Little verses spoken or sung at different jobs or duties originated
      > as galdr, but today are just "silly little childhood songs". I
      > remember my mother and both grandmothers telling me of little
      thymes
      > that they sung or recited at different times while performing
      > different jobs. To them, they were just "little ditties" to pass
      the
      > time while doing as repetitious chore. In the more modern times,
      > they were correct, but the origin of those "little ditties" came
      from
      > galdr, such as this verse to make cream churn into butter faster:
      >
      > Come butter come
      > Come butter come
      > Johnny waits by the gate
      > With a warm buckwheat cake
      > Come butter come
      >
      > The previous verse was probably a more modern version of the charm
      or
      > spell, but it remains never the less. Also, I remember there was
      the
      > verse for planting some seeds (in more modern, post Columbus times,
      > this particular verse usually referred to the planting of corn)
      which
> [...]
      really
      > luck, you will receive that information from the gods themselves
      and
      > have the "guess work taken out of it altogether. You will also
      have
      > to figure out which works better for you, singing, chanting or
      > reciting poetry-type charms/spells.
      > The attempt might b as elaborate as a full ritual as described in
      the
      > GENERAL OUTLINE FOR A RITE OR RITUAL, from the previous section of
      > this NOTEBOOK, or as simple as Hammer Hallowing an area and sitting
      > comfortably in a quiet room, in the woods, a field, hilltop,
      > waterfall or wherever you might meet with success. Concentration
      > usually results in better success than relying on "window
      dressing",
      > but sometimes both are necessary. In other words, don't work so
      hard
      > on the "show" of a ritual that you let your concentration on the
      > desired outcome low ebb.
      > Within galdr, you might find other types of magic, or use galdr in
      > other types, especially magic using runes when they are sung or the
      > rune poem is spoken.
      >
      > Spa: is a skill or gift for telling the future or prophecy. This
      > could be done with Runes, trances, or reading other signs. If the
      > power is strong with you, you might not need anything in
      particular,
      > it will just come to you.
      > When using runes, calling upon deities and / or getting into a
      mental
      > state in order to receive information on the future, most use galdr.
      > Some of the deities to call upon are ODIN, SAGA and, if you think
      > that you can persuade her to communicate what she knows, FRIGGA
      (who
      > is said to NEVER reveal what she knows of the future). The mental
      > trance-like state that many go into is often self imposed by
      chanting
      > to the deities for that purpose, or chanting certain runes to
      attain
      > that state.
      >
      > Seidr: takes many definitions, or at least many different
      abilities.
      > Healing, mental magic & manipulation, channeling spirits, mind and
      > weather control, and other abilities. FREYA is a good one for this
      > although others can be chosen depending upon the reason and target
      > for and of the Seidr.
      > If runes are used as the power or tool for the work, and the names,
      > rune-poems or sounds are sung, or a chant is used to call the deity
      > desired for support, again, galdr is used. If channeling spirits
      and
      > speaking with the dead for information on the future is used, then
      > spa is also used.
      >
      > As you see, you can "jump" from one "type" of magic to another
      > without really planning to do so, it's a "come as you are needed"

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic