2473Re: Hello

  • Kimberley Henderson
    Sep 30, 2007
      --- In Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com, Ratatask Thora <ratatask@...> wrote:

      > Hi Ella ( and everybody else!)
      >
      > I'm actually working on a paper on Loki & how he's perceived in
      Asatru, though I doubt it will be done any time soon. It's a very
      long and involved topic, so there's no way I can say everything
      here. But I'll do my best to summarize.

      > Basically, there are 3 schools of thought on Loki. He's either a
      troublemaker, a god of chaos and the (rather abrupt, but often
      positive) change that comes out of chaos, or an enemy of our gods.
      All of these aspects are apparent in the lore, but a lot of it comes
      down to: do you accept Loki as the god of the early Eddas, where he
      is a traveling companion and friend of the gods, or do you view him
      as the later Loki, who kills Odin's son and is at the head of the
      battle against the gods? If you view him as the latter, then
      invoking him during a ritual to the gods (or maybe even invoking him
      at all) really doesn't make much sense. Look at it this way: would
      you invite someone to dinner with your family if they had betrayed
      your family, killed a member of your family, and wished the
      destruction of them all? It's just really not a good idea!

      > However, many view Loki as the Loki in the early Eddas and ignore
      this later aspect of Loki. Some actually believe that these are two
      distinctly different characters who Snorri Sturlson either mistook to
      be the same character in the early tales, or chose to make the same
      to add drama to his tales. I tend to think that the latter Loki is
      more likely Utgard-Loki who is spoken of in the Eddas. Asatruars who
      only view him as that character, see him either as a trouble-maker or
      a god of chaos. I tend to dispute the god of chaos because he
      actually seems malicious in a number of the tales he is in. I
      believe gods of chaos are usually more likely to cause trouble for
      less malicious reasons, but I haven't studied chaos gods in depth, so
      I could be wrong. If you view him as a god of chaos, well then as
      with many Pagan religions today, some people decide to embrace chaos
      and worship him, and some chose to stay far away from chaos and keep
      him out of their devotions.

      > It is my understanding that the character of Loki in some form is
      found outside of the prose edda in places like archeological evidence
      (carvings or paintings or such), but that there is no evidence of him
      ever being worshipped by our ancestors.

      > I'm very interested to hear your views on Loki from an
      anthropological standpoint. Please share!

      > Su "Ratatask" Þóra
      > Gythja of Eplagarðr Kindred (www.eplagarthrkindred.org)
      > MD/VA/WV Steward, The Troth (www.thetroth.org)

      >The way I see it as is Loki is one of the Gods and he is seen as a
      trickster a trouble maker and he also wants more like all power is an
      issue for a genius mind there isnt enough to entertain anyone with
      such a creative mind who is chaos in itself he wanted more
      recognition and I hail him 4th 1 ODIN 2 THOR 3 FREJA 4 LOKI HAIL ODIN
      FOR WISDOM THOR FOR STRENGTH FREJA FOR LOVE AND BEAUTY AND LOKI FOR
      KEEPING ME ON MY TOES. Loki was created by the gods like all of us
      and I see him as a wise but greedy God and yes he betrayed but when
      you have gods that are warriors life is battle to them and battle is
      what Loki did, He still is respected We respect Odin and he would
      sometimes give victory to the unexpected so maybe we should sometimes
      look at the opposite and give victory.
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic