1960Comments (Was Introductions)

  • Karen Dimmock
    Oct 19, 2003
      Greetings Manny and all the other workers!

      > We are particularly interested in your comments on what about our
      > beginner's course has or has not met your needs. And what you would
      like
      > to see come after that.

      > Manny Olds (oldsma@p...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA
      > Coordinator, Asatru-U (http://www.asatru-u.org)

      I'd like to see an expanded reading list. In particular some sites
      and/or books dealing with general background to Viking, Saxon and
      other Germanic cultures. Pointing people at the Eddas, etc. is good,
      but it's better if they have some knowledge about the culture that
      produced them. Just as a random example, a sword was an expensive
      item during Viking times. A modern equivalent might be owning a
      Mercedes. If you know that, you know that someone carrying a sword
      was someone of means, whereas pretty much any man would have owned an
      axe. It's little stuff like that which can help people understand
      more about what they are reading. Also, life during what we call
      the "Dark Ages" was pretty harsh so it also might help people
      understand why the Eddas and Sagas seem quite brutal.

      Wassail

      Karen
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic