1760Re: Teaching gods

  • svalich
    Jun 4, 2002
      --- In Asatru-U@y..., tsdoughty@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 6/3/02 11:53:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > mekboy@h... writes:
      >

      > > For example, a man of my proportions is ill-suited to climb a
      free-hanging
      > > rope. I still say it's not impossible, because as I become the
      Happy
      > > Not-Nearly-So-Fat-As-I-Was-Before Guy, the task becomes more
      approachable.
      > > Some fellows of my dimensions might consider the task impossible,
      without
      > > even considering that, with the right training, the task is not
      only
      > > possible, but likely to achieve. I don't how to make people
      realize the
      > > step from possibility to likelihood, but I feel that the
      Intermediate
      > > course
      > > should have, for each individual, that specific goal rolling
      around in the
      > > back of one's mind.
      > >

      > In this instance and for you as a learner, who would be more
      effective in
      > helping you achieve that: someone who has always been trim, in-
      shape, and
      > who can climb the rope with one hand while smoking a cigarette with
      the
      > other, or someone who him/herself once worked through the weight
      obstacle?
      > Would it make a difference?

      Now, that's a very interesting question.

      My wife has recently joined Weight Watchers (and, by practice, I have
      as well). We call it the "Food Police". Interestingly enough,
      there's not 12-step program to cure food addicts, which is
      interesting to note, since these work somewhat poorly, statistically,
      for addicts of other substances. Regardless of this, my wife cringed
      to hear the leader of th meetings there lost a whole 17 lbs. and has,
      to everyone's shock and amazement, kept it off for three whole
      years.

      Those of us who need to lose like an entire human's worth look at
      twinkies like that and know that losing 17 lbs when you're 325 can be
      achieved in about three weeks of not having breakfast. The key is
      not putting it back on. I think, for the first time, that this
      program (even led by people who've never worn anything over a size 12
      or even had to shop mail-order for clothes) is something that can be
      stuck to, easily, and incorporated as a life-change.

      Back to the substance-use analogy, one can experience the
      supernatural with some conditions and substances. However, to achive
      some level of supernatural awareness, one must be able to do it
      without such aids. By the same token, I must be able to re-form my
      views on food and what I allow my arms to convey to the mouth before
      I can consider it a life change rather than a diet.

      This takes some measure of mental foritude, force of will, and the
      like to achieve, something a "diet" neither mandates nor requires,
      which is why I imagine the long-term success rate of dieting is
      equivalent to the long-term success rate of a 12-step program. We
      dont' want to present Asatru as some sort of 12-step program, but
      rather, a life-change. This is what makes is valuable and useful,
      when you incorporate it into your life.

      As an aside, and since you're asking (Tim gets all the too personal
      info from me, darling), when I started looking into Asatru, my
      somewhat Christian wife felt that I would "get over" Asatru, like it
      was just a "phase." Well, I didn't look at it like it was something
      new to try, but rather, something that was what I was looking for my
      entire life. You have to want to change, and it has to be something
      you're changing to that you have convinced yourself your life will be
      better when you do make that change. It was, I did, and it has.

      OK, having said that, back to your question:
      It most certainly makes a difference to any person doing any thing
      new to have the views and thoughts of someone who has made that
      change themselves. There will always be people new to Asatru, but we
      (collectively) will probably start having some kids now who have
      never known anything but Asatru. I'd rather have someone climb up
      that rope, look back at me, and say, "I couldn't do that 2 years
      ago." I think the meat of the Intermediate course could come,
      actually, from various personal accounts, rather than from
      references, citations, and quotes. But, I realize this view is
      colored by my own personal expereinces, and I wouldn't want to impose
      such as a requirement for the course, unless there is a concesnus
      that there is no better way.

      Each of us has had some life-altering expereicne, where we are now
      not what once we were. This could be massive weight loss which
      turned into running marathons, coming out, or getting a higher
      education. I don't think you'd've valued comments from a het like me
      for What Now, and it only makes sense for me to look at other folks
      who've lost weight to see how they've done it. You see the kids in
      the StriDex ads, like they ever had a zit. You see the ladies int eh
      cosmetics commecials, like they've ever had wrinkles. It just makse
      sense for folks like us who've been in the place where they've been
      to be giving our views on what to do next, since we came from non-
      heathen upbringing.

      Our services in this regard should be available, whether int he form
      of personal accounts, e-mail, and the like. I'd like to think you're
      one person who I've been able to offer at least one useful word of
      advice, making all the other words of mine you've waded through worth
      the effort. ;-)

      I really beleive it makes a difference to me, and I think the
      assumption that it makes a difference to others that I was then where
      they are now is a valid assumption of some number of specifica
      cases. Perhaps there are those out there who need not such role
      models or the like, and hooray for them, but I ain't one of them.

      Overcoming adversity has little to do with solving a problem or
      choosing a correct path -- it has everything to do with realizing
      adversity is something that you, alone, have created. Pointing the
      finger at others or other things for one's own problems will not
      eliminate the problem, nor provide solutions. Recognizing a problem
      in the first place (the only step I agree with of a 12-step program)
      is the key to the door. Overcoming the problem that you realize
      you've created is the opening of the door. All, then, that remains,
      is walking through it.

      Perhaps this analogy would be the same for Beginner, Intermediate,
      and Advanced courses? The Key, the Door, and the Path Beyond?

      '/\` Frith upon your house
      //\\ Karl Donaldsson
      \\// mekboy@...
      `\/' http://www.geocities.com/svalich