Sanatana Dharma: Embracing an Infinity of Possibilities

  • therothmaDom shrivathsa brahma
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2007
      Sanatana Dharma: Embracing an Infinity of Possibilities

      Dr. Frank Morales, Ph.D.
      (Sri Dharma Pravartaka Acharya)

      Sanatana Dharma is a religion that has faced over 1000 years of
      brutal battering and horrendous persecution at the hands of adherents
      of the Abrahamic religions - specifically Islam and Christianity.
      First, the Islamic conquerors attempted to quite literally physically
      annihilate Dharma – killing as many as 100 million Hindus, burning
      our libraries and sacred institutions of learning to the ground,
      denying us our right to worship, making us third-class citizens in
      our own nation, and destroying almost every single Hindu temple in
      North India. Then the British came. When the British Raj was
      established, the Christians did not attempt to physically annihilate
      Hinduism as the Muslims had earlier. Rather, they attempted a more
      genteel and sophisticated intellectual/ cultural/ spiritual
      annihilation of what remained of Vedic culture. We are dealing with
      the negative effects of this less violent form of genocide to this
      very day.

      Today, as a direct result of this millennium-long persecution, we
      have a Sanatana Dharma that finds itself only now beginning to arise
      from the smoldering ashes of this 1000 Year Holocaust. Hinduism is
      only now beginning to reconstruct itself as an authentic, shastra-
      based Sanatana Dharma, to rid itself of all non-Dharmic influences
      over its philosophy and culture, and to begin finally reasserting
      itself again onto the world-stage. The horrific psychic remnants of
      the anti-Hindu Holocaust have survived, however, and have manifested
      themselves in today's Hindus in deeply self-destructive psychological
      terms.

      Hindus have been relentlessly forced to hear from our deceitful
      persecutors for so very long the false propaganda that Hinduism is an
      inferior and unworthy religion, and that Hinduism only leads to
      superstition and poverty. As a direct result of generations of such
      brainwashing, today even the most vocal Hindu activists often find
      themselves suffering from agonizing bouts of self-doubt, passivity,
      impotence, and feelings of utter powerlessness in the face of the
      many challenges that Sanatana Dharma is currently facing. Most
      Hindus today find themselves unable to defend Hinduism from our
      persecutors in anything but the most passive, cursory, fearful, and
      weakest of ways. Too much of the Hindu world has been
      psychologically impacted, and strategically paralyzed, by what I call
      Impossibility- Thinking – the idea that we can accomplish no large
      task in the name of Sanatana Dharma, and that our religion is somehow
      destined to extinction regardless of what we may attempt to save it.
      This problem is especially seen when it comes to the majority of
      Hindus venturing to acknowledge and embrace the vast potential that
      Sanatana Dharma has to offer us personally, and that our religion has
      to offer the world at-large.

      The Hindu world has been infected by Impossibility- Thinking for too
      long. We have allowed ourselves to be convinced that we are
      powerless, that we are incapable of achieving greatness in Dharma.
      The time of such hopelessly negative thinking is over! The era of the
      passive Hindu is over! We need to know that, with Bhagavan's
      blessings and grace, anything and everything is possible in His
      service. We need to adopt Possibility- Thinking, and know that there
      is no barrier, no obstacle, no enemy, and no challenge that we cannot
      overcome. With such thinking, we will see Sanatana Dharma change the
      course of world history. We will see the beginning of the new
      Dharmic Era that will affect every corner of the globe.

      Sanatana Dharma is the most personally expansive and psychologically
      empowering religion on earth. It is a path that teaches its
      followers to be fearless, dedicated, focused, strong, assertive, self-
      controlled, virtuous, self-reliant, and to strive for excellence in
      all endeavors. This, however, is only the case when Dharma is
      actually followed and practiced.

      It is only by embracing the daily practice of Dharma that we can
      begin to access the full potential that we all have lying within.
      Through steadfast practice of the remarkable techniques of Yoga,
      meditation, puja, and bhakti, all of which are at the very heart of
      Hinduism, God has provided us with powerfully effective tools by
      which we can perfect ourselves and manifest unparalleled excellence
      in our lives. By practicing a strict regimen of Hindu sadhana, we
      can achieve our utmost potential physically, emotionally, mentally,
      intellectually, and spiritually. It is by practicing, and witnessing
      the direct results, of these Dharmic disciplines that we can develop
      the self-confidence, healthy assertiveness, fearlessness, inner
      peace, and self-control that are the hallmark of any healthy and well-
      balanced person. It is no longer enough merely to call ourselves
      Hindus, to be merely Nominal-Hindus any more; it is incumbent upon us
      all to practice Hinduism if we are to experience firsthand what it
      means to live a life that is empowered by the grace of God, and to
      know that in Dharma all things are possible.

      Sanatana Dharma is a religion of the possible. It is a tradition
      that teaches us that anything and everything we can dream is
      attainable. In Sanatana Dharma, we are radically free to perform any
      positive task, to reach out boldly toward any constructive goal, to
      achieve any dream that our imaginations can reveal. Dharma frees us
      from the bonds of ignorance and fear that bind us, and gives mighty
      wings to realize our inner yearning for peace, joy, and unlimited
      freedom.

      Ours has historically been a religion that has fostered Possibility-
      Thinking. Sanatana Dharma is a religion that reflects the very
      essence of the diverse and infinite possibilities that the universe
      has to offer us. The infinitely expansive range of thinking,
      feeling, and experiential possibilities that the Dharmic world-view
      offers is without limit. The Possibility- Thinking that Dharma
      encourages is one reason why we find so many amazing stories,
      wondrous deeds, and heroic feats in our scriptures that would
      otherwise defy our common-day imagination. Only in Sanatana Dharma
      do we find such stories as Lord Shiva having the ability to
      fearlessly drink deadly poison from an ocean of milk and yet not die;
      or stories of the divine Sage Narada freely traversing the length and
      breadth of the universe at will in his unending mission to share
      God's love with all sentient beings; or the story of Hanuman bravely
      leaping to Lanka in a single monumental bound to seek out the beloved
      of Lord Rama. The one thing that these and so many thousands of
      similar sacred stories tell us in the boldest of voices is that there
      is no challenge in this world that cannot be overcome in the service
      of the Divine. There is no possibility that is beyond us.

      The scriptures (shastras) and history of Sanatana Dharma are replete
      with the examples of many thousands of brave men and women who
      understood the principle of embracing the oceanic potential of
      Possibility- Thinking. Numerous sages, rishis, yogis, kings and
      queens, and leaders of the Hindu people throughout our history have
      shown us what can be accomplished when we know that all things are
      possible, and that we can achieve anything in Bhagavan's service.
      Chanakya had the determination to drive the Greeks out of Hindu
      India. Shankara used the power of resolute focus to revive Hinduism
      when it was threatened with extinction. Ramanuja possessed the
      determined will to revive pure bhakti throughout the length and
      breadth of Bharat. Shivaji Maharaja had the fearless fortitude
      necessary to route the mighty and seemingly invincible Moghul empire,
      and to reestablish the Dharma Nation as a viable military-political
      entity. Vivekananda showed us that Sanatana Dharma is not merely the
      possession of India, but can be realized as the future pre-eminent
      world-view of the entire globe. Prabhupada showed us that Americans
      and Europeans and East Asians and Russians and the peoples of the
      entire world can – and will - enthusiastically embrace pure and
      authentic Sanatana Dharma in their millions.

      Dharma, when practiced, provides us with Moksha – radical existential
      freedom, and liberation from all the worldly impediments that bind
      us. Such is the nature of the radical freedom of Moksha that we find
      ourselves without the limiting bounds that so affect those who have
      not tasted the nectar of Brahma-vidya (God-realization) . As servants
      of Dharma and devotees of God, we naturally find that our lives can
      be lived without limits. When we experience the spiritual revolution
      in our lives that the Dharma lifestyle can grant us, our
      possibilities are then endless.

      By God's grace, there is nothing we cannot accomplish.
    • Arijit Biswas