Conflict between morality & dharma

  • Rajesh Kumar Mallah
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2007

      Dear Dada,

      Jai Guru,
      Can you please exemplify the conflict between morality
      and dharma ?  how to make sure if do not interpret
      adharma as dharma ? is there any objective test ?

      Regds
      Rajesh Kumar Mallah.

      Vagabondindia had written in the previous post, about Kalki, :-

      And, please read the last page of that book again, where Sri Sri Thakurji explains how Krishna showed that when there is conflict between morality and dharma its dharma which has to be protected. Bhisma had not realised this, so he supported Kauravas. But the moment Bhishma saw Krishna sacrificing moral values to protect dharma, he realised that Krishna is no ordinary person, rather Supreme Being in human form. And Bhishma realised his own follies and bowed to Krishna in the battlefiled !
    • vagabondindia
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4 10:24 AM

        Jai Guru,

        Morality and dharma ( principles of life & growth) may or may not co-exist. Many  times there are conflicts between morality & "dharm"( that which uphold life and growth / Being & Becoming). Then we have to choose the later. Sri Sri Thakur ji has illustrated it beatifully in the last passage of "Amiya- Vani" ... (The Hindi version is "Amiya- Varta")Its a collections of discourses with Him by Ashwini Kr. Biswas. In Pabna days.

        Bhism had vowed to be loyal to the throne always. It was his moral duty to do so. So, he ended up favouring Duryodhana inspite of knowing that he was doing wrong things. On the other hand, Sri Krishna had vowed that He will not take up arms in the battle of Mahabharat. Keeping the vow was His moral duty.

        The battle began. Despite the lecture of Gita and all efforts of Sri Krishna, Arjun was not able to forcefully attack Bhisma as he loved & revered him a lot. He was not mustering his all strength. When Sri Krishna saw that Arjun is not listening, He got angry, "broke His vow" and picked up a chariot-wheel to kill Bhisma himself.  Bhisma, being a man of fine calibre, saw Krishna breaking morality to favour the TRUTH, the spiritual dharm.....!!! he immediately realised his own mistake and also that Sri Krishna is the Purushottama...the Superman.. or Bhagwan !! He surrendered then & there. Bhisma saw that Krishn is establishing dharma even by sacrificing morality.
        And if dharma is not established, the creation can not survive.

        Had Bhisma been spiritually more awakened he wd have saved India from the destruction of Mahabharat by transcending morality  to favour the Dharm. And this he cud hv achieved by refusing to support Duryodhana much earlier.

        Karn did the same thing. Morally he was an ideal friend of Duryodhana..always supporting him. But the truth is that he never tried to make Duryodhana understand that going aginst the wish of Sri Krishna is adharma !! Karna proved to be the biggest enemy of Duryodhanawas by not showing him the right path, in spite of knowing it !

        Suppose, Mr. Mohan has peomised to meet someone at 9 a.m. It is his moral duty to keep the promise. But on the way if he sees an accident, then he must to admit that injured person into a hospital ! Saving life and principles of life n growth is Dharma. Its more important than morality.

        Sri Ram killed Bali, sent  Sita to jungle due a washerman's complaint !! In both these cases He transcended morality and established Dharm.

        I DONT MEAN to say that morality and dharm are ALWAYS contradictary. But one has to be moral AS LONG AS it supports 'dharma'.

        Now, how to understand what is 'dharma' and what is 'adharma' ? The more one is tuned to the Holy Feet of Sadguru, the easier is for him to discern between the two. In other words, if we surrender ourselves to His Feet, this capacity gets awakened within us.

        Vagabondindia

        --- In latestprophet@yahoogroups.com, "Rajesh Kumar Mallah" <mallah.rajesh@...> wrote

        > Dear Dada,
        >
        > Jai Guru,
        > Can you please exemplify the conflict between morality
        > and dharma ? how to make sure if do not interpret
        > adharma as dharma ? is there any objective test ?
        >
        > Regds
        > Rajesh Kumar Mallah.

      • Rajesh Kumar Mallah
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4 11:03 AM

          > Now, how to understand what is 'dharma' and what is 'adharma' ? The more one is tuned to the Holy Feet of Sadguru, the easier is for him to discern between the two. In other words, if we surrender ourselves to His Feet, this capacity gets awakened within us.

          Jai Guru,

          Thanks for the excellent advise above.

          Regds
          mallah.