RE: [latestprophet] Re: Varna & Varnashram>>Jena da

  • T K Jena
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2005
      Dear Vagabondindia bhai,

      Varnashrama word has two components. Varna+ Ashram. No doubt, Varna is
      included within Varnashrama. The application of Varna is mainly in two
      areas i.e. marriage and occupation. In my analysis, the word Eugenics
      includes the Varna based Marriage system. So, only occupation is left
      out. Moreover, when Thakur uses the word Varnashrama, he emphasizes on
      'shrama'( ?labour). customs and hygiene should not be governed by Varna
      only ( Varna may be an added factor but not the deciding factor in
      these). Perhaps, Varna and Varnashrama words could be correctly analysed
      on the basis of the following three sayings of Thakur as quoted below:

      Thakur defines the word ashram in Anushruti part 1, Varnashrama/17.

      "Acquisition of wisdom through appropriate labour is labeled as ashram
      by nobles"
      ( yathayatha parishrame gyaner yethay aharan
      Sudhi jana Karen tarei ashram bale sambodhan.)

      In Saswati, pocket edition,1997 (vani No.967) Thakur mentions:
      " Acquisition of satta-nurturing upliftment through action- as
      appropriate for instinct, is the objective of Varna and Ashrama.

      ( Baisistya mafik shrama kare satta-pariposhani utkarsha arjana i- Varna
      O ashramer tatparya)

      In Sambiti, birth centenary edition, vani No.460) Thakur mentions:
      "The guidelines of varnashrama is formed according to the performance of
      instinct based labour"

      (Baisistya mafik shrama karar upara-i varnashramer manadanda
      pratisthita)

      Please let me know if some conceptual contradiction is arising out of
      our discussion. Does the above sayings help us to conclude any thing? I
      also want to clarify my understanding.

      Jai Guru.
      Jena Da