FW: murs

  • Tom Kelley
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
      ----------
      From: Ron <ronbates@...>
      Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 00:32:00 -0700
      To: Brian Simes Sr <bza99_2000@...>
      Cc: Tom Kelley <teslakid@...>
      Subject: Re: murs

      Hi Bri,
      No, I haven't heard about those freqs.or the band. The URL you sent me
      didn't work I wonder if it also does AM, FM, or SSB since you said PEP.
      I'll run this by Tom, perhaps he knows. Lemme know.
      Thanks, Ron...

    • kb7mib@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2000
        Subject: Re: New M.U.R.S. Unlicensed VHF Radio Service starts
        November
        13.

        The section below that I find most interesting is 95.1303(b),where
        operation aboard an aircraft is prohibited. I am the crew chief,and a
        student pilot,for a hot air balloon crew here in the Phoenix,area. I
        know of at least 5 crews,only 2 of whom I have found licenses
        for,that use at least 4 frequencies in this range,(151.625 MHz,
        151.805 MHz,151.895 MHz,and 151.955 MHz),for their air-ground
        communications. (We still use 27 Mhz.) It isn't going to be long
        before other balloonists around the country find out about MURS,and
        start using these radios for the same purpose. And since some of the
        crews are using mobile radios in their chase vehicles,with 5/8 wave
        whips, it's almost guaranteed that they aren't operating at 2 watts
        ERP.
        I wonder how (if.....) the FCC is going to enforce the provisions of
        the rules that prohibit this type of use? The users are already
        there. Just because I haven't found any balloon crews who were
        already using the frequencies that are now assigned to MURS, doesn't
        mean there aren't any,either here in the Phoenix area,or elsewhere.
        It's going to be interesting to watch these channels around the
        launch site on the weekends. I wonder how long it'll take for crews
        to start showing up on these channels?

        Sincerly,John H. Guetherman
        KB7MIB/KAE7927/KAZ7FA

        (I did some monitoring. 154.600 is definately being used by a local
        balloon crew. I think 154.570 is also,but they weren't quite within
        range to hear clearly. I actually saw the chase crew using the
        radio,while hearing her on 154.600.)

        --- In 800band@egroups.com, "Harry Marnell" marnells@s... wrote:
        The rules for the new Multi Use Radio Service (MURS), as shown
        below,
        will go into effect on November 13, 2000.

        95.401 (CB Rule 1) What are the Citizens Band Radio Services?

        (e) The Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS)--a private, two-way,
        short-distance voice, data or image communications service for
        personal orbusiness activities of the general public.The rules for
        this service are contained in subpart J of this part.

        95.632 MURS transmitter frequencies.

        (a) The MURS transmitter channel frequencies are 151.820 MHz,
        151.880 MHz, 151.940 MHz, 154.570 MHz, 154.600 MHz.

        95.639 Maximum transmitter power.

        (h) No MURS unit, under any condition of modulation, shall exceed
        2 W effective radiated power (ERP).

        95.649 Power capability

        No CB, R/C, LPRS, FRS, MICS, MURS or WMTS unit shall incorporate
        provisions for increasing its transmitter power to any level in
        excess of the limits specified in 95.639.

        95.651 Crystal control required

        All transmitters used in the Personal Radio Services must be crystal
        controlled, except an R/C station that transmits in the 26-27 MHz
        frequency band, a FRS unit, a LPRS unit, a MURS unit, a MICS
        transmitter, or a WMTS unit.

        95.1303 Authorized locations.

        (a) MURS operation is authorized:

        (b) MURS operation is not authorized aboard aircraft in flight.

        95.1309 Channel use policy.

        (a) The channels authorized to MURS systems by this part are
        available on a shared basis only and will not be assigned for the
        exclusive use of any entity.

        (b) Those using MURS transmitters must cooperate in the selection
        and use of channels in order to reduce interference and make the most
        effective use of authorized facilities. Channels must be selected in
        an effort to avoid interference to other MURS transmissions.
      • kb7aqd
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 23, 2011
          Listen for WalMart on 154.570 and 154.600.

          Wendy's at Metro Center uses 154.570 for the drive-thru window.

          Banyantree Apartments near Cactus and I-17 uses 154.570.

          And, some school uses 154.600 near Cactus and I-17.

          Castles N Coasters at Metro Center has BPR40 two-way VHF radios, and sometimes use the 154.570/154.600 MURS, and also 151.625.

          73
          Robert