Re: [ArizonaScanner.com] Re: New SW/AMT ambo numbering

  • Ed & Eb
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
      I'm not from Southwest, but I think I can help you a wee bit.

      Southwest 71 in Tempe is now Southwest 271
      Southwest 91 in Peoria is now Southwest 191
      Southwest 81 in Chandler is now Southwest 281
      etc., etc., etc.

      The ambulances took on numbering consistent with the city in which they respond. If you know the fire dept numbering, the ambulances are the same
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
        Southwest 301 used to be?
        Southwest 161 used to be?
        Southwest 171 used to be?

        Etc.

        Also, which ones are ALS and which are BLS?

        John
        Peoria

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2004
          That ALS/BLS question is one I can't answer. I believe SW94 was the Tolleson truck, and is now 161, 97 was the Avondale car and is now 171. The Rural units 834 and 835 are now 301 and 302 I believe. All of their NON_dedicated units, such as their inter-facility units, nurse units, etc, have retained their old ID as well.

          Ed

          wrote:
          > I'm not from Southwest, but I think I can help you a wee bit.
          >
          > Southwest 71 in Tempe is now Southwest 271
          > Southwest 91 in Peoria is now Southwest 191
          > Southwest 81 in Chandler is now Southwest 281
          > etc., etc., etc.
          >
          > The ambulances took on numbering consistent with the city in which
          they respond. If you know the fire dept numbering, the ambulances are
          the same

          NEW ARIZONA SCANNER FREQUENCIES & ACCURATE TRUNKING INFORMATION
          www.ArizonaScanner.com - Southwest Frequency Directory 8th Edition
          The radio resource local experts wrote and professionals rely on!

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Kevin Halucha
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2004
            I have a question. How do you know what units are responding? If they say "151" is it and ambulance, engine or what? I am from New Jersey and recently moved here. In NJ it was Stations for the Fire and Squad for the EMS. It was also ALL volunteer to. The only Paid Fire was the Navy Base, and the State Forest Fire Service. 1 town had a Paid "Driver".

            It was broken down like this:

            Station Multiple Unit Apparatus

            Number Designation Type

            0 - Officers

            1 - Engines/Pumpers

            2 - Mini Pumpers

            3 - Rescue Extrication

            4 - Vans/Utility/Salvage

            5 - Aerial Apparatus

            6 - SCUBA

            7 - Special Apparatus

            8 - Tankers 1250 gals. +

            9 - Brush/Field Units

            Example: 2631: Toms River #2 is assigned Station 26. This truck is an engine because it ends in a '1'. And it is distinguished from Station 26's other engines 2641 and 2671.

            EMS was this way:

            00-0

            Squad Type:

            0: Captain

            1-8:Officers/ Transport Ambulances

            9: Crash Trucks

            An E or M is added as follows:

            E: Non-Patient Extrication Units

            M: Non-Patient Mass Casualty Units

            Examples: 350 is the Point Boro Captain.

            389E is Stafford Extrication Unit.

            Just wondering how they do it here.

            Kevin

          • Ed & Eb
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2004
              Each city in the county has it's own unique numbering. 100's and 300's out west, 200's out east. 800's are Rural Metro and 400's are Gila River Indian Community,

              1-99 is Phoenix
              100-109 is Sun City West
              110-119 is Laveen (no longer used)
              120-129 is El Mirage
              130-139 is Sun City
              140-149 is Daisy Mtn Fire Dist (New River, Desert Hills and Anthem)
              150-159 is Glendale
              160-169 is Tolleson
              170-179 is Avondale
              180-189 is Goodyear
              190-199 is Peoria
              200-229 is Mesa
              230-239 is Sun Lakes
              240-249 is Guadalupe
              250-259 is Gilbert
              260-269 is Apache Junction
              270-279 is Tempe
              280-289 is Chandler
              290-299 is Salt River Indian Community
              300-309 is Surprise

              There are more, but this is just off the top of my head

              Engines are, in your example, Engine 151, Engine 152, etc.
              Ladders, Ladder Tenders, Support Trucks, etc are similarly named (ladder 152, etc.)

              The ambulances used in, say, Glendale are Southwest 150-159. There should be nobody calling themselves simply "151". That's improper radio procedures.

              I hope that helps. I'm pressed for time, so if I've forgotten anything, I'm hoping someone will fill the gaps for me.

              Ed
              Phoenix FD Regional Dispatch Center

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2004
                That makes sense. I was just confused about how you would tell the diffrence. Everything out there is done a lot diffrent than N.J. It is just a matter of trying to figure out how things are done out here to understand the dispatches.

                Kevin

              • John H. Guetherman
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
                  --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Halucha <khalucha@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > That makes sense. I was just confused about how you would tell the
                  difference. Everything out there is done a lot diffrent than N.J. It
                  is just a matter of trying to figure out how things are done out here
                  to understand the dispatches.

                  > Kevin

                  Yeah, I was born and raised in Abington Township, just outside
                  Philly, and my dad was a fire police officer from '77-'84 with Roslyn
                  volunteer fire company, station 500 in Abington. Back then, they
                  numbered the units so that any unit ending in a 1 was a ladder (101,
                  201, 401, 501 in Abington FD), if it ended in a 2, 3, or 4, it was an
                  engine, and a 5 was a utility or heavy rescue. They've since gone to
                  a more plain English style. Ladder 500, Engine 500, Pump 500, Utility
                  500. (Out here, "Pump" and "Truck" are the engineers on an engine or
                  a ladder, as opposed to the captain, who is "Engine" or "Ladder".)

                  To continue Ed's list:

                  310-319 Buckeye Town
                  320-329 Buckeye Valley
                  330-339 Black Canyon City (Yavapai County line on I-17)
                  340-349 Tonopah
                  350-359 Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station
                  360-369 Luke Air Force Base (Was Salome?)
                  370-379 Harquahalla Valley
                  380-389 Gila Bend (Rescue's Only)
                  390-399 ?
                  400-409 Ft. McDowell Yavapai Apache Indian Community
                  410-419 ?
                  420-439 Gila River Pima Indian Community
                  700's Phoenix Adapative Response Units
                  800's Rural-Metro FD, Inc.
                  2200-2289 Mesa Adapative Response Units
                  2280-2289 Chandler Adapative Units

                  Scottsdale should be added to that list in the near future, as
                  they're switching from Rural-Metro to a city department.

                  John
                  Peoria
                • John H. Guetherman
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
                    wrote:
                    > That ALS/BLS question is one I can't answer. I believe SW94 was the
                    Tolleson truck, and is now 161, 97 was the Avondale car and is now
                    171. The Rural units 834 and 835 are now 301 and 302 I believe. All
                    of their NON_dedicated units, such as their inter-facility units,
                    nurse units, etc, have retained their old ID as well.

                    > Ed

                    Okay, for the West Valley:

                    Sun City - no change
                    A131 = A131
                    A132 = A132
                    A133 = A133

                    Glendale
                    A51 = A151
                    A52 = A152
                    A53 = A153
                    A54 = A154
                    A56 = A156
                    A58 = A158 (?-see below; A157 maybe?)
                    A59 = A159

                    Medic 155 and Medic 158 are GFD manned and operated

                    Tolleson
                    AP94 = AP161

                    Avondale
                    AP97 = AP171

                    Goodyear
                    AP98 = AP181

                    Peoria
                    A91 = A191
                    A92 = A192
                    A93 = A193
                    A96 = A196
                    A99 = A199

                    Surprise
                    AP834 = AP301
                    AP835 = AP302

                    Unknowns
                    AP95 = ?
                    AP838 = ?
                    AP839 = ?

                    I'll have to listen more closely to Southwest channels 12 and 16 to
                    figure out if that is correct.

                    John
                    Peoria
                  • Ed & Eb
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
                      To elaborate on the 4-digit units, they coincide with the city.

                      Car 1511 is Glendale (150's and 1500's would be Glendale)
                      Ladder 2511 is Gilbert (250's and 2500's would be Gilbert)
                      and so on...

                      City of Phoenix uses all the unused numbers as car numbers.

                      There are not fire departments using the 500, 600 or 900 series (Phoenix already uses 1-99 and 700's). Car number for Phoenix are in these number ranges.

                      500's for the most part are Fire Prevention, Community Relations, etc.
                      600's are maint folks (Resource Mgmt, Tech Services, etc).
                      700's are communication and CAD (for example, my assignment is Car741A)
                      900's are Special Ops.
                      There are sub-categories, but I don't know all this crap off the top of my head. They all go out and do their own little thing in their own little world. The only time we hear from them is if they break down and need a tow truck, or they get in an accident. The rest of the time, most of them are completely invisible.

                      Don't quote me, but I don't think Phoenix has made it into the 4-digit world yet.

                      Ed