Re: New SW/AMT ambo numbering

  • John H. Guetherman
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2004
      --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, "Ed & Eb" <ekarsten@c...>
      wrote:
      > They finally numbered the ambulances to coincide with the numbering
      the Fire Dept. uses in the city they are dedicated to, or stationed
      in.

      > 190's in Peoria
      > 150's in Glendale
      > 250's in Gilbert
      > and so on.....

      Is the Southwest employee still on the list? I was wondering if you
      have a list of the ambo's new designators yet? Maybe comparing the
      old designator to the new? It sounds like they have put several all
      new rigs into service.

      John
      Peoria
    • Ed & Eb
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
        I'm not from Southwest, but I think I can help you a wee bit.

        Southwest 71 in Tempe is now Southwest 271
        Southwest 91 in Peoria is now Southwest 191
        Southwest 81 in Chandler is now Southwest 281
        etc., etc., etc.

        The ambulances took on numbering consistent with the city in which they respond. If you know the fire dept numbering, the ambulances are the same
        > They finally numbered the ambulances to coincide with the numbering
        the Fire Dept. uses in the city they are dedicated to, or stationed
        in.

        > 190's in Peoria
        > 150's in Glendale
        > 250's in Gilbert
        > and so on.....

        Is the Southwest employee still on the list? I was wondering if you
        have a list of the ambo's new designators yet? Maybe comparing the
        old designator to the new? It sounds like they have put several all
        new rigs into service.

        John
        Peoria

        NEW ARIZONA SCANNER FREQUENCIES & ACCURATE TRUNKING INFORMATION
        www.ArizonaScanner.com - Southwest Frequency Directory 8th Edition
        The radio resource local experts wrote and professionals rely on!

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • John H. Guetherman
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
          Southwest 301 used to be?
          Southwest 161 used to be?
          Southwest 171 used to be?

          Etc.

          Also, which ones are ALS and which are BLS?

          John
          Peoria

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2004
            That ALS/BLS question is one I can't answer. I believe SW94 was the Tolleson truck, and is now 161, 97 was the Avondale car and is now 171. The Rural units 834 and 835 are now 301 and 302 I believe. All of their NON_dedicated units, such as their inter-facility units, nurse units, etc, have retained their old ID as well.

            Ed

            wrote:
            > I'm not from Southwest, but I think I can help you a wee bit.
            >
            > Southwest 71 in Tempe is now Southwest 271
            > Southwest 91 in Peoria is now Southwest 191
            > Southwest 81 in Chandler is now Southwest 281
            > etc., etc., etc.
            >
            > The ambulances took on numbering consistent with the city in which
            they respond. If you know the fire dept numbering, the ambulances are
            the same

            NEW ARIZONA SCANNER FREQUENCIES & ACCURATE TRUNKING INFORMATION
            www.ArizonaScanner.com - Southwest Frequency Directory 8th Edition
            The radio resource local experts wrote and professionals rely on!

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Kevin Halucha
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2004
              I have a question. How do you know what units are responding? If they say "151" is it and ambulance, engine or what? I am from New Jersey and recently moved here. In NJ it was Stations for the Fire and Squad for the EMS. It was also ALL volunteer to. The only Paid Fire was the Navy Base, and the State Forest Fire Service. 1 town had a Paid "Driver".

              It was broken down like this:

              Station Multiple Unit Apparatus

              Number Designation Type

              0 - Officers

              1 - Engines/Pumpers

              2 - Mini Pumpers

              3 - Rescue Extrication

              4 - Vans/Utility/Salvage

              5 - Aerial Apparatus

              6 - SCUBA

              7 - Special Apparatus

              8 - Tankers 1250 gals. +

              9 - Brush/Field Units

              Example: 2631: Toms River #2 is assigned Station 26. This truck is an engine because it ends in a '1'. And it is distinguished from Station 26's other engines 2641 and 2671.

              EMS was this way:

              00-0

              Squad Type:

              0: Captain

              1-8:Officers/ Transport Ambulances

              9: Crash Trucks

              An E or M is added as follows:

              E: Non-Patient Extrication Units

              M: Non-Patient Mass Casualty Units

              Examples: 350 is the Point Boro Captain.

              389E is Stafford Extrication Unit.

              Just wondering how they do it here.

              Kevin

            • Ed & Eb
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2004
                Each city in the county has it's own unique numbering. 100's and 300's out west, 200's out east. 800's are Rural Metro and 400's are Gila River Indian Community,

                1-99 is Phoenix
                100-109 is Sun City West
                110-119 is Laveen (no longer used)
                120-129 is El Mirage
                130-139 is Sun City
                140-149 is Daisy Mtn Fire Dist (New River, Desert Hills and Anthem)
                150-159 is Glendale
                160-169 is Tolleson
                170-179 is Avondale
                180-189 is Goodyear
                190-199 is Peoria
                200-229 is Mesa
                230-239 is Sun Lakes
                240-249 is Guadalupe
                250-259 is Gilbert
                260-269 is Apache Junction
                270-279 is Tempe
                280-289 is Chandler
                290-299 is Salt River Indian Community
                300-309 is Surprise

                There are more, but this is just off the top of my head

                Engines are, in your example, Engine 151, Engine 152, etc.
                Ladders, Ladder Tenders, Support Trucks, etc are similarly named (ladder 152, etc.)

                The ambulances used in, say, Glendale are Southwest 150-159. There should be nobody calling themselves simply "151". That's improper radio procedures.

                I hope that helps. I'm pressed for time, so if I've forgotten anything, I'm hoping someone will fill the gaps for me.

                Ed
                Phoenix FD Regional Dispatch Center

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 2, 2004
                  That makes sense. I was just confused about how you would tell the diffrence. Everything out there is done a lot diffrent than N.J. It is just a matter of trying to figure out how things are done out here to understand the dispatches.

                  Kevin

                • John H. Guetherman
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
                    --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Halucha <khalucha@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > That makes sense. I was just confused about how you would tell the
                    difference. Everything out there is done a lot diffrent than N.J. It
                    is just a matter of trying to figure out how things are done out here
                    to understand the dispatches.

                    > Kevin

                    Yeah, I was born and raised in Abington Township, just outside
                    Philly, and my dad was a fire police officer from '77-'84 with Roslyn
                    volunteer fire company, station 500 in Abington. Back then, they
                    numbered the units so that any unit ending in a 1 was a ladder (101,
                    201, 401, 501 in Abington FD), if it ended in a 2, 3, or 4, it was an
                    engine, and a 5 was a utility or heavy rescue. They've since gone to
                    a more plain English style. Ladder 500, Engine 500, Pump 500, Utility
                    500. (Out here, "Pump" and "Truck" are the engineers on an engine or
                    a ladder, as opposed to the captain, who is "Engine" or "Ladder".)

                    To continue Ed's list:

                    310-319 Buckeye Town
                    320-329 Buckeye Valley
                    330-339 Black Canyon City (Yavapai County line on I-17)
                    340-349 Tonopah
                    350-359 Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station
                    360-369 Luke Air Force Base (Was Salome?)
                    370-379 Harquahalla Valley
                    380-389 Gila Bend (Rescue's Only)
                    390-399 ?
                    400-409 Ft. McDowell Yavapai Apache Indian Community
                    410-419 ?
                    420-439 Gila River Pima Indian Community
                    700's Phoenix Adapative Response Units
                    800's Rural-Metro FD, Inc.
                    2200-2289 Mesa Adapative Response Units
                    2280-2289 Chandler Adapative Units

                    Scottsdale should be added to that list in the near future, as
                    they're switching from Rural-Metro to a city department.

                    John
                    Peoria
                  • John H. Guetherman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
                      wrote:
                      > That ALS/BLS question is one I can't answer. I believe SW94 was the
                      Tolleson truck, and is now 161, 97 was the Avondale car and is now
                      171. The Rural units 834 and 835 are now 301 and 302 I believe. All
                      of their NON_dedicated units, such as their inter-facility units,
                      nurse units, etc, have retained their old ID as well.

                      > Ed

                      Okay, for the West Valley:

                      Sun City - no change
                      A131 = A131
                      A132 = A132
                      A133 = A133

                      Glendale
                      A51 = A151
                      A52 = A152
                      A53 = A153
                      A54 = A154
                      A56 = A156
                      A58 = A158 (?-see below; A157 maybe?)
                      A59 = A159

                      Medic 155 and Medic 158 are GFD manned and operated

                      Tolleson
                      AP94 = AP161

                      Avondale
                      AP97 = AP171

                      Goodyear
                      AP98 = AP181

                      Peoria
                      A91 = A191
                      A92 = A192
                      A93 = A193
                      A96 = A196
                      A99 = A199

                      Surprise
                      AP834 = AP301
                      AP835 = AP302

                      Unknowns
                      AP95 = ?
                      AP838 = ?
                      AP839 = ?

                      I'll have to listen more closely to Southwest channels 12 and 16 to
                      figure out if that is correct.

                      John
                      Peoria
                    • Ed & Eb
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
                        To elaborate on the 4-digit units, they coincide with the city.

                        Car 1511 is Glendale (150's and 1500's would be Glendale)
                        Ladder 2511 is Gilbert (250's and 2500's would be Gilbert)
                        and so on...

                        City of Phoenix uses all the unused numbers as car numbers.

                        There are not fire departments using the 500, 600 or 900 series (Phoenix already uses 1-99 and 700's). Car number for Phoenix are in these number ranges.

                        500's for the most part are Fire Prevention, Community Relations, etc.
                        600's are maint folks (Resource Mgmt, Tech Services, etc).
                        700's are communication and CAD (for example, my assignment is Car741A)
                        900's are Special Ops.
                        There are sub-categories, but I don't know all this crap off the top of my head. They all go out and do their own little thing in their own little world. The only time we hear from them is if they break down and need a tow truck, or they get in an accident. The rest of the time, most of them are completely invisible.

                        Don't quote me, but I don't think Phoenix has made it into the 4-digit world yet.

                        Ed