Re: [ArizonaScanner] PCSD

  • Michael Blackstock
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29 3:41 PM
      I have not heard any rumors as such, just complaints from some officers.

      I hope the 'real radio system' is not digital, for they might not be any
      better off.
      And we as a scanning community would not be better off also.

      But I would support a new system if officer and public safety was in
      question with the old system.

      And I would hope there would be some recourse against EF Johnson.

      Michael

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 2000
        Jim :)

        According to some deputies that I have spoken with, PCSD had given
        them the impression before they bought the EFJ's that in a few years,
        the radio system would be changed out. Now it seems, they are being
        told in their in-service training that the EFJ's may be around for about
        two years or less, if the Johnson company doesn't get their stuff
        together. This would be much earlier than they were initially led to
        believe. Johnson thinks they can fix some of the bugs, but it is
        questionable whether it will be satisfactory to the deputies and the
        department.

        I know that they continue to tweak the system, because my little trick
        of just monitoring only three frequencies, no longer works :<

        Unfortunately, no clues yet as to what type of radio they might switch
        over to in the future if Johnson doesn't get it right.

        John

      • ka7pcj@juno.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 8, 2000
          OK... let me understand something.... recently (aprox a year or
          better ago) the Pima County Sheriffs office went to the extreme expense
          and hassle of replacing their old Moto System (type ?, 800 mhz) and went
          to the EF Johnson Multi-Net system they currently are using. And now they
          have found out some of the "bugs" associated with the EFJ system (like
          not enough infrastructure or what?), and now theres rumors flying around
          that the EFJ system is going to be replaced in aprox 24 months (or so) IF
          EFJ can't get the "stuff" fixed????... Do I have a good grasp of this
          situation?!

          I tell you what... if the problems are associated with a lack of
          coverage, that situation wont be solved by "changing systems", if it's
          because of "inteligability", or access time, again, changing systems (or
          vendors) aint gonna change that problem!.... All I can say is that I'm
          glad I aint a resident of Pima County!

          Just my 2 cents worth... Long Live Conventional VHF Public
          Safety!!!!

          73's DONNIE

          Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • walter.howard@juno.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 10, 2000
            Weeeellllllll,
            You've almost got it.
            The ORIGINAL system was a Com-Net/Ericsson/GE
            EDACS (Enhanced Digital Access Communications System).
            Sky Harbor Airport runs the same type.
            SRP also?
            AND, Ericsson was bidding an upgrade to the existing system.

            walter

            On Sun, 08 Oct 2000 09:21:01 EDT ka7pcj@... writes:
            > OK... let me understand something.... recently (aprox a year
            > or
            > better ago) the Pima County Sheriffs office went to the extreme
            > expense
            > and hassle of replacing their old Moto System (type ?, 800 mhz) and
            > went
            > to the EF Johnson Multi-Net system they currently are using. And now
            > they
            > have found out some of the "bugs" associated with the EFJ system
            > (like
            > not enough infrastructure or what?), and now theres rumors flying
            > around
            > that the EFJ system is going to be replaced in aprox 24 months (or
            > so) IF
            > EFJ can't get the "stuff" fixed????... Do I have a good grasp of
            > this
            > situation?!
            >
            > I tell you what... if the problems are associated with a
            > lack of
            > coverage, that situation wont be solved by "changing systems", if
            > it's
            > because of "inteligability", or access time, again, changing systems
            > (or
            > vendors) aint gonna change that problem!.... All I can say is that
            > I'm
            > glad I aint a resident of Pima County!
            >
            > Just my 2 cents worth... Long Live Conventional VHF Public
            > Safety!!!!
            >

            > 73's DONNIE

            > questions and information for all of Arizona. Posting for sale items
            > or other issues not directly related to radio scanning in ARIZONA
            > will get you banned. Please keep it respectful and on topic.
            > Community email addresses:
            > Post message: ArizonaScanner@onelist.com
            > Subscribe: ArizonaScanner-subscribe@onelist.com
            > Scannerstuff website: www.scannerstuff.com

            Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
          • Wayne Cummings
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 11, 2000
              Walter,

              Do you have information that PCSD is going out for bids on a replacement
              system for the current EFJohnson MultiNet?

              Wayne

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 11, 2000
                No. Current information is that the situation is improving.

                What I meant was, that when the bid was put out, EFJ bid
                a NEW system, while Ericsson bid an UPGRADE to the
                existing system.

                Walter Howard
                TeleComm Supervisor
                Arizona Dept. of Public Safety
                "Courteous Vigilance"
                All opinions expressed are personal, NOT THE DEPARTMENT'S!

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 11, 2000
                  Thanks Walter,

                  There is talk of something happen with the PCSD system. Just what that
                  something is, is not known. I hope there will be a change to a "monitorable"
                  system for us in the future. The EFJ system although technically sound is in
                  use with inferior handheld radios. They are difficult to operate outside of
                  just normal one or two channel operation and turning them on / off. Have you
                  seen the matrix that was designed laying out the talkgroups?

                  I was involved in recent talks with reps from RCC Consultants (they did
                  the famous Portland 800mhz system) and the City of Tucson in reference to a
                  new digital 800mhz system planned for the future that will provide
                  communications for all city agencies. This is very early information but I
                  truely believe it is going to be a done deal. No timelines available yet. I
                  would be interested in hearing about any 800mhz system failures (analog or
                  digital) that is being experienced and reported by other municipalities
                  similiar to Tucson.

                  Wayne

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 12, 2000
                    On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 18:50:42 -0700 "Wayne Cummings"
                    <waynedc@...> writes:
                    > Thanks Walter,
                    >
                    > There is talk of something happen with the PCSD system. Just
                    > what that
                    > something is, is not known.

                    My sources say that they finally got the 2 switches to talk and work
                    together.
                    This was the first system the EFJ put in that required more than 1
                    switch.

                    I hope there will be a change to a
                    > "monitorable"
                    > system for us in the future.

                    Don't hold your breath.

                    The EFJ system although technically
                    > sound is in
                    > use with inferior handheld radios.

                    I've heard that from users of other EFJ systems.

                    They are difficult to operate
                    > outside of
                    > just normal one or two channel operation and turning them on / off.
                    > Have you
                    > seen the matrix that was designed laying out the talkgroups?

                    No, not privy to that.

                    > I was involved in recent talks with reps from RCC Consultants
                    > (they did
                    > the famous Portland 800mhz system) and the City of Tucson in
                    > reference to a
                    > new digital 800mhz system planned for the future that will provide
                    > communications for all city agencies. This is very early information
                    > but I
                    > truely believe it is going to be a done deal. No timelines available
                    > yet. I
                    > would be interested in hearing about any 800mhz system failures
                    > (analog or
                    > digital) that is being experienced and reported by other
                    > municipalities
                    > similiar to Tucson.

                    There are several mail lists that talk about that on eGroups. SmartNet,
                    800 Band, Project 25 and TrunkingForum are the ones I know about.
                    Be sure to look in the archives for those groups. A number of reports
                    of those type incidents are in there. Look for references to Orange
                    County.