Re: fire station info

  • John Guetherman
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2000
      --- In ArizonaScanner@egroups.com, "pem2" <pem2@n...> wrote:
      group, I'm new to the area and to this group. My scanner interests
      revolve around monitoring fire departments. I am in the process of
      mapping all Fire Stations in the Valley on software by DeLorme called
      Street Atlas USA version 7.0. When complete I will load to this
      groups file area. I need a little info if anyone can help I would be
      grateful. I am using Station address info from a great little
      directory which I'm sure most of you are familiar with called
      SouthWest Fequency Directory. It has about 98% of the info I need.
      Tonite I heard a dispatch on PFD Channel 1 for Engine 199. I can't
      find any info in SWFD. Anyone know which Station its quartered at and
      its street address?
      Station 158 is listed, anyone know what aparatus is quartered there?
      Is it a closed station?
      Looks like Mesa is planning to build a new Station for Engine 216.
      Anyone know the address and/or construction schedule?
      TIA,
      Paul

      Paul,

      Engine 199 is the City of Peoria unit that is used when both Ladder
      and Ladder Tender 193 are unavailable. 8336 W. Emile Zola Ave. It's
      an older engine that they keep in reserve.

      I went looking for stations 158 and 159. Neither of them exist at
      this time. There is an empty lot at 83rd Drive and Griffin
      Ave.,actually within the walls of a housing subdivison,which could be
      used in the future for station 158,otherwise,the city would
      probably have to purchase some farm field in the area. The address
      for station 159,5320 W. Luke Ave.,(one block north of Missouri
      Ave.),is not a valid address. 5320 falls in between two valid
      addresses,5316 and 5330-something in the middle of a business/light
      industrial park of sorts. I have heard Brush 159 get dispatched on
      occasion along with Engine 151,but don't know where it's stationed.

      Could you provide me with info on how to get the software for Street
      Atlas,and how to utilize it? I'm not familiar with it.

      John H. Guetherman
      KB7MIB/KAE7927/KAZ7FA
      kb7mib@...
    • pem2
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2000
        Hi John,
        Thanks for the info on 158 & 159. Apparently, for the smaller departments, any apparatus ID ending in "9" is a reserve piece. I got the info on Station locations & apparatus from the "Southwest Frequency Directory". Its a GREAT resource. I've been here for a month and with this book its like I've been here much, much longer. I can find everything I want, freqencywise, in it.
        The software I use, StreetAtlasUSA 7.0, by DeLorme, is very good and easy to use. I purchased it at Fry's Electronics on Baseline in Tempe. There are 2 toolbars on the interface. "Map Toolbar" and "Routing Toolbar". I used the "Locate Address" on the "Map Toolbar" to pinpoint Station Locations. When search is finished close the locate Dropdown and rightclick the location. Choose either "Add as Via" or "Insert as Via". A purple dot appears and rightclick again to identify the point, for example Station 158. Then use the "Draw" icon to open a submenu and use "Draw MapNote" to caption each Station with assigned apparatus and address. After the edit window closes, drag the caption on top of the purplr dot. Thats it.
        After all information is loaded into the file, you can use the "Manage Stops & Vias" button on the "Routing Toolbar" to find a specific station. The button is yellow and to the right of the GO button.The map can be viewed from a "continental" scale all the way down to 1/100th mile.
        The only limitation is the quantity of Stops and Vias in a single file, 94. So I had to make 2 files, one for Phoenix and west valley, one for east valley.
        Paul