DPS District 11 on 460.500?

  • John
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
      Was in Phx this weekend and noted a lot of weather related D11
      traffic on 460.500. Also hearing it in Prescott as well. Is this a
      change or just temporary use? I'm normally hearing D11 on .475.
    • Dan Rollman
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
        John,

        You're hearing D11 (460.475) simulcast on CI (460.500). It's not unusual... I've
        heard it on and off for years. As I understand it, the same dispatcher is at
        that time working both D11 and CI, and patches the two channels together to
        avoid having units on both frequencies talk to her at the same time, not knowing
        the other channel is also active.

        And since the dispatcher can bring up or down any number of towers on the
        channels she's working, I wouldn't be surprised if you hear D11 traffic on CI in
        Prescott, because a tower within range of Prescott is presently selected for CI,
        but do not hear the comms on 460.475 because a tower on the far east end of D11
        is active on the D11 frequency and cannot be heard from Prescott. Hope that
        makes sense.

        It's common in the Tucson and Flagstaff DPS Comm Centers as well. In particular,
        D4 (Yuma) is often patched to CI 460.275 in Tucson. Pretty slick to hear the
        dispatcher discussing incidents along the California border from Tucson.

        Walter could probably correct me if I've misstated what's happening here.

        Dan
        www.ArizonaScanner.com

      • walter
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
          The dispatcher that works D11 also works CI2 (detectives).
          She had them in a multi-select/crosspatch so the units on one frequency won't try to talk to her(?) while busy on the other channel.

          The Metro West dispatcher also handles "State" in a similar manner.

          Standard operating procedure.

          Walter

          -- "John" <radioprescott@...> wrote:
          Was in Phx this weekend and noted a lot of weather related D11
          traffic on 460.500. Also hearing it in Prescott as well. Is this a
          change or just temporary use? I'm normally hearing D11 on .475.

          NEW ARIZONA SCANNER FREQUENCIES & ACCURATE TRUNKING INFORMATION
          www.ArizonaScanner.com - Southwest Frequency Directory 8th Edition
          The radio resource local experts wrote and professionals rely on!
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • walter
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
            Sorry Dan, saw your post after I sent my reply.

            The only clarification I would make, is that any CI traffic audible in Prescott, would be handled out of Flagstaff OpComm, not Phoenix. The CI channels are handled by the same dispatch center as the associated Highway Patrol stuff.

            I don't believe that you can hear White Tanks/South Mountain/Thompson Peak from Prescott on UHF. Anyone want to prove me wrong?

            Walter

            John,
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
              > I don't believe that you can hear White Tanks/South
              Mountain/Thompson Peak from Prescott on UHF. Anyone want to prove me
              wrong?

              > Walter

              Thanks guys - I can hear VHF like PPD, PFD, R/M, etc transmitting
              from the Valley but no UHF as yet. Not sure how i'd be able to ID a
              Phx site transmitter on CI or State (other than by the traffic, which
              would be sumilcast anyway)without the PL as I don't have directional
              capabilities.

              I'm hearing 460.375 up here with Phx area traffic occasionally, but
              is probably simulcast to a Northern AZ local tower.
            • walter
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
                460.375 is the UHF InterAgency.

                We've been having problems with Phoenix PD using that as a surveillance channel.
                There's also been some problems with the way that Maricopa County Wireless Group had (has?) setup their hi-band radios on the VHF side (155.475).
                And I found that a community college security unit was using 155.475 as a dispatch channel with a repeater. Actually someone else on this list figured it out, and I got it shut down.

                There was one time Flagstaff was running a simulation/training scenario on IARS (InterAgency Radio System) and I was listening to all the traffic 10-2 at my desk on my handheld.

                So.... Would anyone hearing "regular" traffic on 460.375 or 155.475 please pass on the particulars to me.

                Thanks

                Walter

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
                  --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, walter <walterh@a...> wrote:
                  > There was one time Flagstaff was running a simulation/training
                  scenario on IARS (InterAgency Radio System) and I was listening to
                  all the traffic 10-2 at my desk on my handheld.

                  Just recently heard Flag and CoCo So working an armend robbery
                  suspect search on 155.475. And your comment also explains the
                  surveillance comms I've heard on UHF in the past naming location that
                  aren't up here.

                  Well, at least its more exiting than the "barking dog" calls we get
                  her in PV!

                  John
                  radioprescott