Re: [ArizonaScanner] Cell for phones

  • C. A. Pennington
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
      900.300
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: walter.howard@...
      To: ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 11:52 AM
      Subject: Re: [ArizonaScanner] Cell for phones

      Without breaking the law by divulging the content,
      can you tell us the frequency that the scanner locks on to?

      It might not be a cell conversation, but an interconnected
      call on another radio system.(Like a trunker?)

      walter

      On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 02:17:01 -0700 "C. A. Pennington" <pencap803@...>
      writes:
      > I apparently live close to a Cell for the phones. I say that because
      > when my scanner picks up the cell it holds and does not drop or
      > change during the conversation. But I can only hear one side of the
      > conversation and that is usually the land line side. I think that
      > is strange since the cell phone generated the call in the first
      > place. Can someone tell me why that happens? And is there a set
      > plus or minus frequency to hear the other side? (I know these are
      > prohibit, I don't seek them out, they find me <g>).

      Only $9.95 per month!
      Visit www.juno.com

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      A SCANNER LISTENER IN ARIZONA WHO HASN'T SEEN THE SOUTHWEST FREQUENCY DIRECTORY 7? NO WAY!
      http://WWW.SCANNERSTUFF.COM/SWFD-7-AZ.htm

      ArizonaScanner mailing list: radio scanner Q's and info for all of Arizona.

    • C. A. Pennington
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
        correction that should be 909.300

        writes:
        > I apparently live close to a Cell for the phones. I say that because
        > when my scanner picks up the cell it holds and does not drop or
        > change during the conversation. But I can only hear one side of the
        > conversation and that is usually the land line side. I think that
        > is strange since the cell phone generated the call in the first
        > place. Can someone tell me why that happens? And is there a set
        > plus or minus frequency to hear the other side? (I know these are
        > prohibit, I don't seek them out, they find me <g>).

        Only $9.95 per month!
        Visit www.juno.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        A SCANNER LISTENER IN ARIZONA WHO HASN'T SEEN THE SOUTHWEST FREQUENCY DIRECTORY 7? NO WAY!
        http://WWW.SCANNERSTUFF.COM/SWFD-7-AZ.htm

        ArizonaScanner mailing list: radio scanner Q's and info for all of Arizona.

      • Dave Brinkman
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
          Sounds like a nearby 'cordless' phone.

          Dave
        • John H. Guetherman <jhguetherman@yahoo.c
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
            --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Brinkman" <daveb1@e...>
            wrote:
            > Sounds like a nearby 'cordless' phone.
            >
            > Dave

            I agree. That would explain why it never drops reception. It's also
            illegal to monitor cordless phones, by the way. And new legislation
            has made it a felony, up from the misdemeanor it used to be.

            However, 902-928 is also the 33cm Amateur radio band. I don't know if
            there are any repeaters, or simplex, or links (all FM) in the band
            that you might be able to monitor. I've never run across any when
            I've scanned the band. I've also never heard a cordless phone in my
            neighborhood. Only ever heard a few one time, while on vacation in
            Colorado in '00.

            John
            Peoria
          • C. A. Pennington
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2003
              It now seems to be cordless phones as someone else in the group had suggested. But I'm still confused.

              I pick up 909.300 on my PRO 25 and 866.300 on my PRO 2022. Both receiving the same thing, but I still only hear one side of the conversation.

              I thought it was cell phones due to the "beep" sound I hear occasionally. When I was in Ohio those were the signs of cell phones. I'm a hobbyist, but still somewhat of a novice. But I seem to remember that a few frequencies, up or down, would bring in the other side of the conversation.

              I've have heard that cells, and I think now even cordless phones, are prohibit to monitor. But as I said on the stream, I don't seek them out, they just come up in my search operation. My only interest is to better understand the workings of my scanners.

              And I haven't even gotten into "trunk" yet, which is essential for this area, but I haven't had the time or the money (yet). I'm just trying to enjoy what uses I can get out of my rigs at this point.

              These units, (scanners, I have about 5 or 6) were my enjoyment when I lived back east and in Florida. A good rain/snow storm or rush hour traffic or a ham fest and /or round table discutions kept me well informed of my surrounding area. Since I've been in the Phoenix area(Chandler), I haven't enjoyed them as much (haven't found a whole lot to monitor) and again I'll say (not yet)!

              I've moved into a house and haven't unpacked all of my toys, since over two years ago. The ones I did get to, brings back a lot of fond memories, but some of the knowledge of how these work has been lost, plus I'm in a different area now and have to learn frequencies again.

              Anyhow, that's where I am. Still looking for any help I can get. I'm hoping to upgrade so I can be part of all the new technology.

              Charles