Re: [ArizonaScanner] Uniden handheld digital scanner pics & manual

  • Andrew Clark
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
      Ten 100-Channel banks and still only 100 talkgroups per bank. Forgive me for not showing my unbridled enthusiasm.
    • John H. Guetherman
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
        --- In ArizonaScanner@y..., Andrew Clark <andyclark@c...> wrote:
        > Ten 100-Channel banks and still only 100 talkgroups per bank.
        Forgive me for not showing my unbridled enthusiasm.

        That's one thing that I don't like with most every multi-hundred
        channel scanner. Too many channels in each bank. I want something
        where the user can decide how many channels go into each bank. Maybe
        in groups of 10, at least? I would have:

        Bank 1, 10 channels. Peoria PD UHF Conventional, and Peoria City 800
        MHz Trunked
        Bank 2, 10 channels. Interagency Mutual-aid - VHF, UHF, and 800 MHz
        Bank 3, 10 channels. Glendale Trunked - 16 PD talkgroups
        Bank 4, 10 channels. West Valley PD's - UHF and 800 MHz Conventional
        Bank 5, 40 channels. Phoenix and West Valley FD's (May break down to
        two banks)
        Bank 6, 20 channels. Phoenix Police - VHF and Air
        Bank 7, 10 channels. Phoenix Police - UHF and Air
        Bank 8, 20 channels. DPS - UHF, and VHF Statewide
        Bank 9, 20 channels. Capitol PD/DOC/DOJC
        Bank 10, 30 channels. Game and Fish/State Land/Agriculture
        Bank 11, 30 channels. Maricopa County Trunked - 150 county
        talkgroups (White Tanks/Oatman/Smith Peak/Yarnell Hill sites)
        Bank 12, 20 channels. Maricopa County Trunked - Surprise PD-FD/Sun
        City West Posse - 20 talkgroups (White Tanks only)

        Comes out to 230 channels so far. Yes, there would be empty channels
        in several banks.

        I'm still waiting.

        John H. Guetherman
        Peoria, AZ.
      • Dan Rollman
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
          Yup, wouldn't we all. Problem is there's no simple way to
          activate/deactivate banks beyond ten (there's only ten number keys on the
          scanner). There are ways. Uniden tried adding lettered keys for banks 11 -
          20 on the BC9000. I thought it was great, but they get to make the business
          decisions on whether it works or not.

          None the less (spacing, banks, channels, number of talkgroups) are all
          issues that have been hashed out time and time again over the last year or
          so on the lists dedicated to this specific scanner. It's old news.

          I too wish it had more talkgroups per bank. Everybody does. But it must make
          Uniden shake their collective head at the sociology of our hobby when they
          introduce the first-ever digital scanner (allowing us to again here
          something that was entirely lost to our ears) and the response is a lack of
          enthusiasm because it "only stores 1000 talkgroups" (many more than any
          Motorola brand handheld I know of... costing 10 times as much!). :)

          Dan

          > Ten 100-Channel banks and still only 100 talkgroups per bank.
          Forgive me for not showing my unbridled enthusiasm.

          That's one thing that I don't like with most every multi-hundred
          channel scanner. Too many channels in each bank. I want something
          where the user can decide how many channels go into each bank. Maybe
          in groups of 10, at least? I would have:

          Bank 1, 10 channels. Peoria PD UHF Conventional, and Peoria City 800
          MHz Trunked
          Bank 2, 10 channels. Interagency Mutual-aid - VHF, UHF, and 800 MHz
          Bank 3, 10 channels. Glendale Trunked - 16 PD talkgroups
          Bank 4, 10 channels. West Valley PD's - UHF and 800 MHz Conventional
          Bank 5, 40 channels. Phoenix and West Valley FD's (May break down to
          two banks)
          Bank 6, 20 channels. Phoenix Police - VHF and Air
          Bank 7, 10 channels. Phoenix Police - UHF and Air
          Bank 8, 20 channels. DPS - UHF, and VHF Statewide
          Bank 9, 20 channels. Capitol PD/DOC/DOJC
          Bank 10, 30 channels. Game and Fish/State Land/Agriculture
          Bank 11, 30 channels. Maricopa County Trunked - 150 county
          talkgroups (White Tanks/Oatman/Smith Peak/Yarnell Hill sites)
          Bank 12, 20 channels. Maricopa County Trunked - Surprise PD-FD/Sun
          City West Posse - 20 talkgroups (White Tanks only)

          Comes out to 230 channels so far. Yes, there would be empty channels
          in several banks.

          I'm still waiting.

          John H. Guetherman
          Peoria, AZ.
        • Taliesin MacAran
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
            On Tuesday 01 October 2002 05:05, Dan Rollman wrote:
            > Yup, wouldn't we all. Problem is there's no simple way to
            > activate/deactivate banks beyond ten (there's only ten number keys on the
            > scanner). There are ways. Uniden tried adding lettered keys for banks 11 -
            > 20 on the BC9000. I thought it was great, but they get to make the
            > business decisions on whether it works or not.

            Couldn't this problem of accessing more than 10 banks be solved by either
            a Function Key enabling a user to punch in 11, 12, 13 etc?
            --
            Taliesin MacAran

            Visit my website at http://kd7eth.net

            The difference between insane asylums and our schools is that in an
            insane asylum you have to show some improvement before you can get out.

            Beware of what you speak, for indeed the words we speak make shadows
            of what is to come, and by speaking them we bring them to pass.
            -- Taliesin, The Merlin of Britain
          • walter.howard@juno.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
              You are correct. ADOT moved to Commerce.
              BUT, there are still 2 EMSCOMM stations on the property.

              Our licensing engineer made a boo-boo.

              Thanks

              walter

              On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:27:01 -0700 (PDT) AZ Scanner
              <radioprescott@...> writes:
              > Hey Howard: I though tthey sol dthe Sheldon Street
              > address to Yavapai College and moved the DPS and ADOT
              > and MVD ops to Pioneer Park.
              >
              > PW KGL49
              > ARIZONA, STATE OF - TELECOMMUNICATIONS
              > PHOENIX, AZ
              > ctrl pt 1 - STATE HWY YARD 1210 E SHELDON PRESCOTT AZ
              > 602-223-2247
              > 09/17/02 License Renewed
              > 1 - STATE HWY YARD 1210 E SHELDON PRESCOTT (YAVAPAI)
              > AZ
              > 151.01 FX1 75w

              > http://sbc.yahoo.com

              > Arizona. No non-Arizona-specific for sale items; stay on topic; Be
              > respectful.
              > For more ARIZONA SCANNER INFO: http://www.scannerstuff.com

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
            • Tracy
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2002
                The way I see these latest products from Uniden, it's simply adding
                digital capability to their existing designs (Which are particularly
                excellent IMHO). If your happy with your current conventional
                receiver and have no need to monitor digital then this is not the
                radio scanner for you. The BC245XLT and BC785XLT are the most popular
                radio scanners on the market today and these new models are just an
                extension of the product family.

                I'm elated that they (Uniden) have gone out of their way to include
                some features that have been voiced in the past like the ability to
                automatically store frequencies during search (my first Uniden radio
                scanner could do that) while meeting their design goal of producing a
                digital capable radio receiver.

                Perhaps next year at this time we will be frantically awaiting a
                completely new family of radio scanners from Uniden, most likely at a
                higher cost. In the mean time, now is the time to voice your wishes
                to Uniden and to other radio scanner manufacturers.

                Personally, I'll be purchasing the BC250D with the Digital Card. The
                BC245XLT will replace the Rat Shack scanner currently broadcasting
                over the Internet and will be adding features to remotely program the
                channel plan.

                Tracy
                www.freqofnature.com