Re: CSPAN to visit NIFC on Labor Day

  • John H. Guetherman
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
      From socalscan, again:

      http://www.c-span.org/wildfires/

      (Remember, 6pm Pacific Time....same as Monday Night Football)

      Monday, September 3rd
      Beginning at 9pm ET on C-SPAN
      On the evening of Labor Day, C-SPAN will provide viewers with an
      inside look at the nation's logistical support center for
      wildland firefighting and how a wildfire is contained.

      We'll tour the National Interagency Fire Center (NIFC) in Boise,
      Idaho and take our camera along the fireline of the Green Knoll Fire
      near Jackson, Wyoming.

      The program includes tours of the firefighting equipment and
      technology employed by the seven Federal agencies that oversee
      wildland fire operations at NIFC. We'll also talk with some of
      the firefighters at the Green Knoll Fire, see how they contained this
      4,470 acre fire, and tour fire camp.

      Programming Schedule:
      Beginning at 9pm ET on C-SPAN
      Monday, September 3, 2001

      9pm

      Introduction to the program
      Tour of the National Interagency Coordination Center
      Viewer Phone Calls

      10pm

      Great Basin Cache tour
      Brief interviews with members of the Centennial Crew

      11pm

      Viewer Phone Calls
      Interview with Joe Carvelho, Great Basin National Incident
      Management Team, Incident Commander
      Tour of infrared technology and planes

      12am

      Fire camp tour
      Interview about firefighting gear and the role of women in wildfire
      Interview about using fire to fight fire
      Interview with an engine crew leader
      Interview with a Sho Ban crew member about fear and dangers of the
      job

      John H. Guetherman
      Peoria
    • walter.howard@juno.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 6, 2001
        Did anyone tape this??????

        Only saw the post today (Thursday)

        Walter Howard
        TeleComm Supervisor
        Arizona Dept. of Public Safety
        "Courteous Vigilance"
        All opinions expressed are personal, NOT THE DEPARTMENT'S!

        On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:22:30 -0000 "John H. Guetherman"
        <kb7mib@...> writes:
        > A cut-and-paste from socalscan.....
        >
        > "(please repost this to the other groups)
        >
        > I saw a program note on CSPAN, on Labor Day, starting 6pm PACIFIC
        > TIME, they will be holding a three hour LIVE show from the National
        > Interagency Fire Center in Boise, Idaho. There will be a tour of
        > the
        > center and viewers will be able to call in with questions, etc."
        >
        > John KAZ7FA
        > Peoria

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • Dan Rollman
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 6, 2001
          I did not tape it, but did see much of the program. From a purely radio
          perspective, it was not real in depth. But to one (like myself) also
          interested in the politics of the job the NIFC does, the nature of wildland
          firefighting, and an overview of IMS (Incident Management System) it was
          well done and interestingly varied.

          It is not unlikely CSPAN to replay extended productions like this one, so
          check their website on occassion and you may find an announcement for it
          coming up again in the future.

          Dan

          <kb7mib@...> writes:
          > A cut-and-paste from socalscan.....
          >
          > "(please repost this to the other groups)
          >
          > I saw a program note on CSPAN, on Labor Day, starting 6pm PACIFIC
          > TIME, they will be holding a three hour LIVE show from the National
          > Interagency Fire Center in Boise, Idaho. There will be a tour of
          > the
          > center and viewers will be able to call in with questions, etc."
          >
          > John KAZ7FA
          > Peoria

        • Tracy
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 7, 2001
            You can view the program online from C-SPAN's website but they didn't
            include the Q&A portions of the program.

            http://www.cspan.org/wildfires/

            Tracy
            www.freqofnature.com

          • kb7mib@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 7, 2001
              They aired the program twice, back-to-back. I only got to see the
              last 20-30 minutes of the second showing. Keep an eye on their
              program listings to see if it get's repeated anytime soon. Since I've
              only got a 28k8 connection (at best), watching it online wouldn't be
              very fun.

              John
            • James Richardson
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 7, 2001
                > > Did anyone tape this??????

                Yes I taped it.

                Jim< MNN-001
                Mountain NewsNet, Inc
              • dan.contreras@pni.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 7, 2001
                  Dan Rollman,

                  What frequency does Phx Ranger transmit on? I can here the dispatcher on
                  463.100. Also what frequency is USA one? Thanks.

                  "Dan Rollman" <danrollman@...> on 09/06/2001 10:07:13 PM

                  Please respond to ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com

                  To: <ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com>
                  cc:

                  <kb7mib@...> writes:
                  > A cut-and-paste from socalscan.....
                  >
                  > "(please repost this to the other groups)
                  >
                  > I saw a program note on CSPAN, on Labor Day, starting 6pm PACIFIC
                  > TIME, they will be holding a three hour LIVE show from the National
                  > Interagency Fire Center in Boise, Idaho. There will be a tour of
                  > the
                  > center and viewers will be able to call in with questions, etc."
                  >
                  > John KAZ7FA
                  > Peoria

                  ***ALL NEW SOUTHWEST FREQUENCY DIRECTORY UPDATE BOOK available!***
                  Get it now at http://www.scannerstuff.com

                  ArizonaScanner mailing list: radio scanner Q's and info for all of Arizona.
                  No for sale items; stay on topic; Be respectful.
                  For more ARIZONA SCANNER INFO: http://www.scannerstuff.com

                • Dan Rollman
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 7, 2001
                    Dan Contreras,

                    Ranger has the ability to transmit on just about any frequency he wants to.
                    Page 26 of the 400-page 6th Edition Southwest Frequency Directory
                    (http://www.scannerstuff.com/SWFD.htm) shows the input to EMSCOM (Med5) is
                    468.100, so you may hear him better there if you are not hearing the output
                    (463.100). In Phoenix, Ranger also generally gives status reports to Phoenix
                    Fire on 154.190 (Fire1) when they go out of service. i.e. "Phoenix Ranger to
                    alarm, out of service on a law enforcement mission to Wickenburg." On SWFD-6
                    Page 100, Ranger is listen as one of the fire units based at Phoenix Fire
                    Station #41. Because they're based there and can be dispatched by PhxFD they
                    update them as well. Ranger also often communicates with DPS on the Metro
                    highway patrol frequencies also, as well as any other district they may fly
                    to.

                    On Page-71 of SWFD6, at the top of the intro to the Maricopa County section,
                    USA-1 is listed as 866.0125.

                    Hope that answers everything.

                    Dan Rollman
                    www.scannerstuff.com

                    What frequency does Phx Ranger transmit on? I can here the dispatcher on
                    463.100. Also what frequency is USA one? Thanks.

                  • Glen Tubbesing
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 8, 2001
                      Saturday morning... CSPAN is repeating the NIFC show... on now until 2:00pm PDT... RIGHT NOW!

                      Glen N7GOT
                      Las Vegas, NV

                      <kb7mib@...> writes:
                      > A cut-and-paste from socalscan.....
                      >
                      > "(please repost this to the other groups)
                      >
                      > I saw a program note on CSPAN, on Labor Day, starting 6pm PACIFIC
                      > TIME, they will be holding a three hour LIVE show from the National
                      > Interagency Fire Center in Boise, Idaho. There will be a tour of
                      > the
                      > center and viewers will be able to call in with questions, etc."
                      >
                      > John KAZ7FA
                      > Peoria

                      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!