Antenna Cable

  • Jack Sprat 41
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2012
      I'm putting an antenna on my SUV. I want to run the cable through the back hatch and than up to the front of the vehicle. The antenna cable is only 10ft. Can anyone make me an extension cable cheaply in the Phoenix area? If so email me at hoffman.dana(at)gmail.com I'm in the N. phx area.
    • jamoran
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9, 2012
        two ways to do this, terminate what you hav now with a BNC female and
        and get an extension from Radioshack thjey sell BNC extensions that ar
        either 6 or 8 feet

        or you can go to a fast food place and get a drinking straw and snip off
        about a 2 inch length then use a knife and slice it longways so it will
        slip over the cable

        strip both ends of the coax back about an inch to an inch and a half
        strip off the insulation around the center conductor too

        join and solder the center conductors together cover the center
        conductor with the drinking straw then electrical tape
        next join the join the outer ground wires together and solder them.
        either add shrink wrap over the connection or tape up. you can also use
        another length of straw over the ground wires... then tape up... use a
        soldering iron or lighter flame to make the shrink tube tight or to melt
        the tape together so it does not unravel

        JOHN
      • Jack Sprat 41
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 9, 2012
          Thanks for the reply. Looks like radio shack has 2, RG 58 or 59. What one do I get? It also looks like I need a BNC female to female adapter. The antenna already comes with a BNC connector.

          --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, jamoran <analon1@...> wrote:

          > two ways to do this, terminate what you hav now with a BNC female and
          > and get an extension from Radioshack thjey sell BNC extensions that ar
          > either 6 or 8 feet
          >
          > or you can go to a fast food place and get a drinking straw and snip off
          > about a 2 inch length then use a knife and slice it longways so it will
          > slip over the cable
          >
          > strip both ends of the coax back about an inch to an inch and a half
          > strip off the insulation around the center conductor too
          >
          > join and solder the center conductors together cover the center
          > conductor with the drinking straw then electrical tape
          > next join the join the outer ground wires together and solder them.
          > either add shrink wrap over the connection or tape up. you can also use
          > another length of straw over the ground wires... then tape up... use a
          > soldering iron or lighter flame to make the shrink tube tight or to melt
          > the tape together so it does not unravel
          >
          > JOHN

        • Walter Howard
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 11, 2012
            RG58.