Re: [ArizonaScanner.com] p25

  • Mike Mascari
    Message 1 of 13 , May 8, 2012
      john thats what i meant they r on vhf low.

      --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, "John Henry" <jhguetherman@...> wrote:

      > Where did you get that they're on HF? They're on VHF-low. Try 42.560 and 42.720 (White channel). And the 700 MHz frequencies are replacing the mobile extenders that are currently on 154.905, but are still being rolled out across the state.
      >
      > John
      > Peoria

    • Mike Mascari
      Message 2 of 13 , May 8, 2012
        damn thats terrible low power how dumb and with all the issues they have.

        --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, Mike Derryberry <miked911@...> wrote:

        > On 5/7/2012 4:30 PM, Mike Mascari wrote:
        > > if u look on radioreference they transmit on hf and there switching to 700 mhz vehicular and base transmitters but it seems there are no towers active this way the only time i here any activity is if i go towards needles.
        > >

        > The only thing going to 700mhz are the vehicle mounted repeaters
        > (extenders in CHP lingo). The hand held radios will use 700mhz to talk
        > to the cars which will still use the low band freqs to talk to dispatch
        > or car to car. They are phasing out the High band hand helds (extenders
        > on 154.905). The new 700 mhz vehicle repeaters will still be low power
        > so you will have to be fairly close to hear them.
        >
        > This info straight from a friend at the CHP. Hope this helps.
        >
        > Mike
        >
        > --
        > miked911@...
        > Mike Derryberry
        >
        > Dispatcher II
        > Kern County Sheriff's Department
        > Bakersfield, CA
        >
        > Listen to my department:
        > http://216.66.69.100:3074/listen.pls
        >
        > Listen to Kern County Scanning:
        > http://216.66.69.100:3070/listen.pls
        >
        > Listen to Central California Fire Scanning
        > http://216.66.69.100:3072/listen.pls

      • ja moran
        Message 3 of 13 , May 9, 2012
          for CHP the VHF-LOW band 38-43 mhz seems to work good for them as the lower frequencies tend to bend around some hills and mountains
          while a higher frequency would tend to be more atennuated or blocked by mountains and canyons....

          a good analogy is you being in a crowded room and trying to talk to someone else... your voice can be heard around corners  while if someone shines a laser at you the laser is line of sight....  higher frequencies behave differently than lower frequencies.   when people go to 700, 800, or 900 mhz frequencies
          they generally use one or more (often several) repeaters otherwise they may have dead zones.

          I know from following the forest fires last season the USDA fire communications people use portable mobile repeaters to enhance coverage for the firefighters and their portable radios.  The location and power of the transmitter and receiver also factor in to signal propigation as do atmospheric conditions.