PCSO Helicopter ID

  • sh9730
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
      My other post was never approved/posted, so I couldnt just edit it...moderator feel free to combine if you like.

      SO, today I heard the helicopter on PCSO channel 5 today responding to a search and rescue incident. The correct radio ID is "RAVEN 1". Not sure how they came up with RAVEN, but at least now its not confusing with RANGER as my previous post.

      And this call today confirms they are operational at some level now.

      Thanks!
    • sh9730
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
        --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, "sh9730" <johnmsandiego@...> wrote:

        > My other post was never approved/posted, so I couldnt just edit it...moderator feel free to combine if you like.
        >
        > SO, today I heard the helicopter on PCSO channel 5 today responding to a search and rescue incident. The correct radio ID is "RAVEN 1". Not sure how they came up with RAVEN, but at least now its not confusing with RANGER as my previous post.
        >
        > And this call today confirms they are operational at some level now.
        >
        > Thanks!

        Just so this post makes a little more sense, I had posted how I had heard the PCSO helo doing radio checks on CGPD freqs and THOUGHT I heard their ID as "RANGER" which was confusing to me since I didnt think they had a Bell Jet Ranger helicopter, and that it would be confusing with DPS.

        I can tell for sure today they are in an MD500 helo (easy sound to detect on radio), which is what I thought they had purchased.

        Also, the original post had said my understanding is this tool will be seeing very limitied use initially (mostly S & R missions like today and drug interdiction in the Vekol Valley area), and not too much "general patrol", although Im sure if they happened to be in the area of a call that comes out, they could respond.

        But they only plan on flying approx 15 hours a week or so from what I ve read....so they would really need to find themselves in the right place at the right time to be a big patrol asset for now.

        Thanks for allowing the update. Not sure what happened to my original post?
      • Roy Schahrer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
          Could Raven-1 have been the Robinson R44 that is often used by the MCSO
          Posse? The DPS Helicopter is a Bell "Ranger", so the helicopter you
          heard could be a Robinson R44 "Raven". Robinson makes a Law Enforcement
          version of the R44 Raven helicopter. I know PCSO wanted a MD500 turbine
          ship, but have they even taken delivery of it yet?

          Roy ICP963.

          On 1/1/2012 3:47 PM, sh9730 wrote:
          > My other post was never approved/posted, so I couldnt just edit it...moderator feel free to combine if you like.
          >
          > SO, today I heard the helicopter on PCSO channel 5 today responding to a search and rescue incident. The correct radio ID is "RAVEN 1". Not sure how they came up with RAVEN, but at least now its not confusing with RANGER as my previous post.
          >
          > And this call today confirms they are operational at some level now.
          >
          > Thanks!

        • sh9730
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
            Well, I suppose anything is possible....but I ve heard a lot of MD500s on the air over the years and this sure sounds like one...plus the fact that there has been a lot of radio traffic on PINAL county frequencies (CGPD and PCSO) from this helicopter over the last few days....and when they were radio checking with CGPD I could hear a 500 in my area (I live in CG) although I never did get visual of it....

            I do agree I havent seen any press releases that PCSO has rec'd the delivery of their unit yet, but given the board of supervisors were not HUGE fans of the acquisition at all (due to budget constraints)...they may have just decided to be low key about it?

            Hopefully someone here will know for sure.....they are still flying right now on those missing kids call in Maricopa.....this one sounds like it will have a sad ending...

            --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, Roy Schahrer <n7qyk@...> wrote:

            > Could Raven-1 have been the Robinson R44 that is often used by the MCSO
            > Posse? The DPS Helicopter is a Bell "Ranger", so the helicopter you
            > heard could be a Robinson R44 "Raven". Robinson makes a Law Enforcement
            > version of the R44 Raven helicopter. I know PCSO wanted a MD500 turbine
            > ship, but have they even taken delivery of it yet?
            >
            > Roy ICP963.
            >
            > On 1/1/2012 3:47 PM, sh9730 wrote:
            > > My other post was never approved/posted, so I couldnt just edit it...moderator feel free to combine if you like.
            > >
            > > SO, today I heard the helicopter on PCSO channel 5 today responding to a search and rescue incident. The correct radio ID is "RAVEN 1". Not sure how they came up with RAVEN, but at least now its not confusing with RANGER as my previous post.
            > >
            > > And this call today confirms they are operational at some level now.
            > >
            > > Thanks!

          • John
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2012
              I have aso heard RAVEN ## flights on the DEMA radio net, along with the usual COYOTE and FOX flights. I wonder if they are related?

              Coyote and Fox flights give position repots all over the state, while Raven traffic was usually in the southern part of the state...so it might fit

              John
              radioprescott

            • John Timmons
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 4, 2012

                      John,
                        Could you please elaborate on what the DEMA Radio Net is and the corresponding frequency(s)?

                        Thank you!

                        John   N7LQR
                        Maricopa, AZ