Distance from South Mtn

  • John Henry
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
      Would anyone know how I can figure out, or does anyone know, the distance from South Mtn to 91st and Peoria Aves? I want to know how far I am from the tower sites.

      What about the other mountain-top sites in and around the Valley?

      John
      Peoria
    • Stein, Joseph
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
        http://www.heywhatsthat.com/

        On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 1:03 AM, John Henry <jhguetherman@...> wrote:
        > Would anyone know how I can figure out, or does anyone know, the distance from South Mtn to 91st and Peoria Aves? I want to know how far I am from the tower sites.
        >
        > What about the other mountain-top sites in and around the Valley?
        >
        > John
        > Peoria

      • Dennis Griffin
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
          Hi John,

          The answer is 20.33 miles with a bearing of 33° E of due S from the intersection to the approximate E-W middle of the antenna cluster. This from Google Map, using the distance between points feature.

          73 de Dennis KD7CAC
          Scottsdale, AZ

          On Sep 1, 2011, at 1:03 AM, John Henry wrote:

          > Would anyone know how I can figure out, or does anyone know, the distance from South Mtn to 91st and Peoria Aves? I want to know how far I am from the tower sites.
          >
          > What about the other mountain-top sites in and around the Valley?
          >
          > John
          > Peoria

        • Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
            Dennis Griffin wrote:

            > The answer is 20.33 miles with a bearing of 33° E of due S...

            Is that really the "bearing" you're reading from google maps?
            Who gives bearings in that format? eg in relation to some
            compass heading other than north.

            Wouldn't "bearing 147" would be
            the appropriate way to describe that heading?

            Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

            www.n0eq.com
          • jr
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
              try google maps they can do a two point distance

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
                Hi Dennis/Craig and members…I have and use on a daily basis a Uniden
                HomePatrol. Question1….is there a good proven replacement antenna available
                that is better than the one that comes with it.

                Question2 and a little off topic…There are so many smart guys in this local
                group…does anyone know anyone in the Phoenix area that has the ability and
                smarts to repair shortwave radios? If you do, I have a bunch that need
                attention. I really can use the help.

                Thanks in advance

                Gary Saltz

                WA9IQW

                Surprise

                435-229-9200

                > The answer is 20.33 miles with a bearing of 33° E of due S...

                Is that really the "bearing" you're reading from google maps?
                Who gives bearings in that format? eg in relation to some
                compass heading other than north.

                Wouldn't "bearing 147" would be
                the appropriate way to describe that heading?

                Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

                www.n0eq.com

                _____

                No virus found in this message.

              • Dennis Griffin
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
                  On Sep 1, 2011, at 6:50 AM, Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke wrote:

                  > Dennis Griffin wrote:
                  >
                  > > The answer is 20.33 miles with a bearing of 33° E of due S...
                  >
                  > Is that really the "bearing" you're reading from google maps?

                  SInce I plotted the distance from a point atop So. Mtn. to the intersection of 91st & Peoria Ave's, not the other direction, the actual reported bearing was 327.03°. Since I had no indication that John is a cartographer, and therefore wasn't expecting a formal report, I thought I'd put what I sent him as an answer to his question in non-cartographic terms, for reference & for his benefit. He seemed to have no problem understanding what I wrote. I resent the reply directly to him with a screen clip of the plot in Google Earth showing the point to point line, since I had forgotten that Yahoo groups doesn't accept images.

                  For John's benefit, since I believe that Google Earth projects distance calculations to a flat plane, so not along the hypotenuse, the distance "as the crow flies", taking elevation difference into account, may be closer to 21 miles.

                  > Who gives bearings in that format? eg in relation to some
                  > compass heading other than north.

                  Only dumb ol' me, I suppose.
                  > Wouldn't "bearing 147" would be
                  > the appropriate way to describe that heading?

                  No, Craig, I don't think "wouldn't ... would be" would be an appropriate way to describe anything, especially at 0400 hours when trying to do a quick favor for someone.

                  Cheers,

                  Dennis KD7CAC
                  Scottsdale, AZ

                  > Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
                  >
                  > www.n0eq.com

                • Miguel L
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
                    Nice ... Lol

                    --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Griffin <eagleeyedennis@...> wrote:

                    > On Sep 1, 2011, at 6:50 AM, Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke wrote:
                    >
                    > > Dennis Griffin wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > The answer is 20.33 miles with a bearing of 33° E of due S...
                    > >
                    > > Is that really the "bearing" you're reading from google maps?
                    > >
                    > SInce I plotted the distance from a point atop So. Mtn. to the intersection of 91st & Peoria Ave's, not the other direction, the actual reported bearing was 327.03°. Since I had no indication that John is a cartographer, and therefore wasn't expecting a formal report, I thought I'd put what I sent him as an answer to his question in non-cartographic terms, for reference & for his benefit. He seemed to have no problem understanding what I wrote. I resent the reply directly to him with a screen clip of the plot in Google Earth showing the point to point line, since I had forgotten that Yahoo groups doesn't accept images.
                    >
                    > For John's benefit, since I believe that Google Earth projects distance calculations to a flat plane, so not along the hypotenuse, the distance "as the crow flies", taking elevation difference into account, may be closer to 21 miles.
                    > >

                    > > Who gives bearings in that format? eg in relation to some
                    > > compass heading other than north.
                    > >
                    > Only dumb ol' me, I suppose.
                    > > Wouldn't "bearing 147" would be
                    > > the appropriate way to describe that heading?
                    > >
                    > No, Craig, I don't think "wouldn't ... would be" would be an appropriate way to describe anything, especially at 0400 hours when trying to do a quick favor for someone.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > Dennis KD7CAC
                    > Scottsdale, AZ
                    > >
                    > > Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
                    > >
                    > > www.n0eq.com

                  • Dennis Griffin
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 2, 2011
                      Hi Gary,

                      I have too many scanners already to allow myself to become interested in the HP, but the Radio Shack 800MHz BNC antenna always gets good reports. Antenna choice depends on your primary spectrum on interest. You may find that one of the ham radio gain ducks, especially wide band receive ones, might suit your needs. The guys at HRO can help you with such antennas, and may be able to recommend a local repair tech. Randy, KK_TV, I think, used to do such repairs, but I don't think he does now. I'll forward your repair query to someone off list that may know of a repair tech.

                      Cheers,

                      Dennis

                      sent from my iPhone

                      On Sep 1, 2011, at 11:26, "Gary Saltz" <garysaltz@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Dennis/Craig and members…I have and use on a daily basis a Uniden
                      > HomePatrol. Question1….is there a good proven replacement antenna available
                      > that is better than the one that comes with it.
                      >
                      > Question2 and a little off topic…There are so many smart guys in this local
                      > group…does anyone know anyone in the Phoenix area that has the ability and
                      > smarts to repair shortwave radios? If you do, I have a bunch that need
                      > attention. I really can use the help.
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance
                      >
                      > Gary Saltz
                      >
                      > WA9IQW

                    • Kenneth Howard
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 4, 2011
                        I have atechnical question,that only maybe one of you true internal radio geeks might know;I have a Pro-2096 that i carry with me at work;over the last several months on a consistent basis when im traveling on i-10 out west toward california;it tpically starts doing it when i get down near the vicksburg valley mp45 and continous off and on all the way to indio,ca.My scanner sort of locks up and says unknown error.it does it real bad way out west in the desert running along the fringes of 29palms milatary reservation.I have to turn it off and back on or unplug it,back in and in resets momentarily and then locks up again. on a weekly basis i travel back and forth through this area,up and down the I-5 corridor in california,Oregon and washington.Nevada,utah. and a few other areas.none of which i experience this glitch.and i wonder if there is some sort of communications block or blunder out in the desert,or some unknown weather condition, or what. anyone
                        have any ideas or suggestions. Just curious