Bait Car

  • David.
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 4, 2009
      Earlier this year I read in the Arizona Republic that a certain PD here in the West Valley purchased a bait car, has anyone heard any bait car activity on the scanner?
      David
    • Walter Howard
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 4, 2009
        Which PD are you referring to, as I know of two that have had such
        programs for at least a couple of years?

        WalterH

        On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 9:45 AM, David. <ocguy92675@...> wrote:
        >  Earlier this year I read in the Arizona Republic that a certain PD here in the West Valley purchased a bait car, has anyone heard any bait car activity on the scanner?
        >    David

      • Dan Danz
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 5, 2009
          It’s not something that’s talked about, per se, on the radios – for obvious reasons. Just the same as stakeouts.

          Why did you want to know?

          ________________
          Dan Danz (WA5SKM)
          Fountain Hills AZ

          Earlier this year I read in the Arizona Republic that a certain PD here in the West Valley purchased a bait car, has anyone heard any bait car activity on the scanner?
          David

        • Joe Badura
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 5, 2009
            I have never heard any discussions about a bait car on the unencrypted
            channels. Phoenix, has a talkgroup 2949 �Vehicle Crimes Unit� that is
            encrypted. I�m guessing if there are any radio transmissions regarding the
            bait car, they would be on this talkgroup or another encrypted talkgroup.
            I'm not sure about other agencies.

            Regards,

            Joe

            On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Joe Badura <joebadura@...> wrote:

            > I have never heard any discussions about a bait car on the unencrypted
            > channels. Phoenix, has a talkgroup 2949 �Vehicle Crimes Unit� that is
            > encrypted. I�m guessing if there are any radio transmissions regarding
            > the bait car, they would be on this talkgroup or another encrypted
            > talkgroup. I'm not sure about other agencies.
            >

            > Regards,
            >

            > Joe
            >

            > On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Dan Danz <dan.danz@...> wrote:
            >

            >> It�s not something that�s talked about, per se, on the radios � for
            >> obvious reasons. Just the same as stakeouts.
            >>
            >> Why did you want to know?
            >>
            >> ________________
            >> Dan Danz (WA5SKM)
            >> Fountain Hills AZ

          • ftlaud_dj
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 5, 2009
              Not sure why the "coy-ness" in the question, a simple Google search will show all the departments in the area that have bait cars, radio chatter while they are working them, none and none likely atleast on open un-encrypted channels.

              --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, "David." <ocguy92675@...> wrote:

              > Earlier this year I read in the Arizona Republic that a certain PD here in the West Valley purchased a bait car, has anyone heard any bait car activity on the scanner?
              > David

            • Walter Howard
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 5, 2009
                Because some of us work for these agencies, and would 'get ripped a
                new one' if we said anything about stuff like this.

                WalterH

                On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 8:28 PM, ftlaud_dj <ftlaud_dj@...> wrote:
                > Not sure why the "coy-ness" in the question, a simple Google search will show all the departments in the area that have bait cars, radio chatter while they are working them, none and none likely atleast on open un-encrypted channels.
                >
                > --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, "David." <ocguy92675@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>   Earlier this year I read in the Arizona Republic that a certain PD here in the West Valley purchased a bait car, has anyone heard any bait car activity on the scanner?
                >>     David

              • David.
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 9, 2009
                  I wanted to know simply because I was hoping I could listen in if anything was going on. Since it was earlier in the year the AZ Republic mentioned it in an article I simply forgot what city it was. Now I know because just this morning on FOX 10 they showed hidden camera footage from inside a bait car in Avondale. If there is a TV program about bait cars, do the police departments really want to keep it a secret? My opinion is that if the PD makes the public aware of a bait cars the bad guys might think twice before taking a car.

                  David

                  --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Danz" <dan.danz@...> wrote:

                  > It’s not something that’s talked about, per se, on the radios â€" for obvious reasons. Just the same as stakeouts.
                  >
                  > Why did you want to know?
                  >
                  > ________________
                  > Dan Danz (WA5SKM)
                  > Fountain Hills AZ

                • CHARLES BARNES
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 9, 2009
                    in mesa there are sings in parking lots that read "bait car in use"

                    I wanted to know simply because I was hoping I could listen in if anything
                    was going on. Since it was earlier in the year the AZ Republic mentioned it
                    in an article I simply forgot what city it was. Now I know because just
                    this morning on FOX 10 they showed hidden camera footage from inside a bait
                    car in Avondale. If there is a TV program about bait cars, do the police
                    departments really want to keep it a secret? My opinion is that if the PD
                    makes the public aware of a bait cars the bad guys might think twice before
                    taking a car.

                    David

                    --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Danz" <dan.danz@...> wrote:

                    > Itâ?Ts not something thatâ?Ts talked about, per se, on the radios â?" for
                    > obvious reasons. Just the same as stakeouts.
                    >
                    > Why did you want to know?
                    >
                    > ________________
                    > Dan Danz (WA5SKM)
                    > Fountain Hills AZ

                  • Walter Howard
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 9, 2009
                      That was the media hog, California Highway Patrol.
                      And I will venture to say that the actual cars shown were never used again.

                      There are many of us in the business who cringe every time one of law
                      enforcement's tools are 'outed' like that.

                      Notice that the Avondale footage didn't show the actual car being
                      used, only the footage of the 'perp' doing the deed.

                      WalterH

                      On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:31 AM, David. <ocguy92675@...> wrote:
                      >  I wanted to know simply because I was hoping I could listen in if anything was going on. Since it was earlier in the year the AZ Republic mentioned it in an article I simply forgot what city it was. Now  I know because just this morning on FOX 10 they showed hidden camera footage from inside a bait car in Avondale. If there is a TV program about bait cars, do the police departments really want to keep it a secret? My opinion is that if the PD makes the public aware of a bait cars the bad guys might think twice before taking a car.
                      >
                      >  David
                      >

                      > --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Danz" <dan.danz@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> It’s not something that’s talked about, per se, on the radios â€" for obvious reasons.    Just the same as stakeouts.
                      >>
                      >> Why did you want to know?
                      >>SNIP>
                    • Kenneth Howard
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 10, 2009
                        I'm not an expert by any means but I've been around law enforcement for many years, and pretty much all agencies use them, and it may seem like they keep it a secret, but they really don't. The only thing they don't do is hang a sign on the car, of which that obviously defeats the purpose. Very often they catch serial car thieves among other things. I've seen footage on (COPS), Various news programs including Stupid criminals. I've never seen a specific program that shows just that. I would think that would be pretty boring after the first 2. but almost any public parking area and hot neighborhoods you will see clear posted signs (BAIT CARS IN USE). So I hope that awnsers your question.

                        in mesa there are sings in parking lots that read "bait car in use"

                        I wanted to know simply because I was hoping I could listen in if anything
                        was going on. Since it was earlier in the year the AZ Republic mentioned it
                        in an article I simply forgot what city it was. Now I know because just
                        this morning on FOX 10 they showed hidden camera footage from inside a bait
                        car in Avondale. If there is a TV program about bait cars, do the police
                        departments really want to keep it a secret? My opinion is that if the PD
                        makes the public aware of a bait cars the bad guys might think twice before
                        taking a car.

                        David

                        --- In ArizonaScanner@ yahoogroups. com, "Dan Danz" <dan.danz@.. .> wrote:

                        > Itâ?Ts not something thatâ?Ts talked about, per se, on the radios â?" for
                        > obvious reasons. Just the same as stakeouts.
                        >
                        > Why did you want to know?
                        >
                        > ____________ ____
                        > Dan Danz (WA5SKM)
                        > Fountain Hills AZ

                      • Danz, Dan
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 10, 2009
                          Well there’s a difference between making the public (and the criminals) aware of the bait cars as a crime deterrent and giving away information that makes the program ineffective. It would fail as a deterrent if the possibility of stealing a bait car was not advertised and it would fail as an apprehension tool if criminals knew where the cars were positioned or what they looked like.

                          You’re not going to hear the words “bait car” on the radio – that would be an incredible lapse of security that surely would result in disciplinary action for any officer or dispatcher involved, especially if it results in a description of the vehicle or the location where it has been positioned. After the trap has sprung it’s a different matter though, as the actions of many officers, aircraft, and even other agencies must be coordinated to effect the apprehension.

                          I’m 100% sure that there’s radio traffic after the bait is taken … if the agency involved works it on an unencrypted channel, you’ll just have to listen closely for the clues.

                          A great many years ago, I monitored some of the very early guided missile launches by an unnamed country; the radio traffic was encrypted, they took great pains to change frequencies, callsigns, operators, modulation – you name it. But after every launch, we always went back and re-listened to the traffic, or watched for frequencies that only had activity before or during the launch. Next time, we got a little more warning, and more intelligence about their capabilities. There were some incredible lapses of security by operators who chit-chatted about friends or the weather or a hated commander while they were tuning their transmitters/receivers, before they started passing encrypted messages. Patience pays off.

                          So, let me give you another hint: Do you even know the callsigns and/or channels used by the Auto Theft detectives of your favorite agency?

                          Keep on listening.

                          DanD

                          --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ArizonaScanner%40yahoogroups.com> , "Dan Danz" <dan.danz@...> wrote:

                          > It’s not something that’s talked about, per se, on the radios â€" for obvious reasons. Just the same as stakeouts.
                          >
                          > Why did you want to know?
                          >
                          > ________________
                          > Dan Danz (WA5SKM)
                          > Fountain Hills AZ

                        • John Henry
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 23, 2009
                            Watch "Jacked" on the Speed channel. (New episodes Thursday evenings, reruns other nights.) Like "COPS" but follows the auto theft task force in the Newark, NJ/NYC region. Have seen several episodes where they parked a bait car and waited. Most of the time they respond to reports of stolen vehicles.

                            I believe I've heard reference to a bait car once or twice while monitoring Peoria or Glendale. IIRC, the dispatcher simply mentions something about a signal from the vehicle, like a door opened or the ignition turned on, and the officers who responded already knew where it was located. They didn't give much more info than that, so you've got to listen closely.

                            John
                            Peoria

                            --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, Walter Howard <walter.howard.jr@...> wrote:

                            > That was the media hog, California Highway Patrol.
                            > And I will venture to say that the actual cars shown were never used again.
                            >
                            > There are many of us in the business who cringe every time one of law enforcement's tools are 'outed' like that.
                            >
                            > Notice that the Avondale footage didn't show the actual car being used, only the footage of the 'perp' doing the deed.
                            >
                            > WalterH

                          • David.
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 25, 2009
                              The "Bait Car" TV program on Tru TV shows everything from video taken inside the UC car, radio communications to whoever shuts down the bait car, footage from hidden cameras inside the bait car, it shows placing at least 2 different cars and the type of cars that are used. With all that information publicly known and the same cars used over again, bad guys are still stealing them. I guess bad guys don't watch tv very much.

                              --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, "John Henry" <jhguetherman@...> wrote:

                              > Watch "Jacked" on the Speed channel. (New episodes Thursday evenings, reruns other nights.) Like "COPS" but follows the auto theft task force in the Newark, NJ/NYC region. Have seen several episodes where they parked a bait car and waited. Most of the time they respond to reports of stolen vehicles.
                              >
                              > I believe I've heard reference to a bait car once or twice while monitoring Peoria or Glendale. IIRC, the dispatcher simply mentions something about a signal from the vehicle, like a door opened or the ignition turned on, and the officers who responded already knew where it was located. They didn't give much more info than that, so you've got to listen closely.
                              >
                              > John
                              > Peoria
                              >
                              > --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, Walter Howard <walter.howard.jr@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > That was the media hog, California Highway Patrol.
                              > > And I will venture to say that the actual cars shown were never used again.
                              > >
                              > > There are many of us in the business who cringe every time one of law enforcement's tools are 'outed' like that.
                              > >
                              > > Notice that the Avondale footage didn't show the actual car being used, only the footage of the 'perp' doing the deed.
                              > >
                              > > WalterH

                            • Michael Hamann
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 26, 2009
                                If the bad guys were smart, the police wouldn't catch them.

                                Have a fantastic week.

                                Michael Hamann // ICP737
                                www.icp-az.org

                                On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 8:30 AM, David. <ocguy92675@...> wrote:

                                > The "Bait Car" TV program on Tru TV shows everything from video taken
                                > inside the UC car, radio communications to whoever shuts down the bait car,
                                > footage from hidden cameras inside the bait car, it shows placing at least 2
                                > different cars and the type of cars that are used. With all that information
                                > publicly known and the same cars used over again, bad guys are still
                                > stealing them. I guess bad guys don't watch tv very much.
                                >
                                > --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com <ArizonaScanner%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                > "John Henry" <jhguetherman@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Watch "Jacked" on the Speed channel. (New episodes Thursday evenings,
                                > reruns other nights.) Like "COPS" but follows the auto theft task force in
                                > the Newark, NJ/NYC region. Have seen several episodes where they parked a
                                > bait car and waited. Most of the time they respond to reports of stolen
                                > vehicles.
                                > >
                                > > I believe I've heard reference to a bait car once or twice while
                                > monitoring Peoria or Glendale. IIRC, the dispatcher simply mentions
                                > something about a signal from the vehicle, like a door opened or the
                                > ignition turned on, and the officers who responded already knew where it was
                                > located. They didn't give much more info than that, so you've got to listen
                                > closely.
                                > >
                                > > John
                                > > Peoria
                                > >
                                > > --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com <ArizonaScanner%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                > Walter Howard <walter.howard.jr@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > That was the media hog, California Highway Patrol.
                                > > > And I will venture to say that the actual cars shown were never used
                                > again.
                                > > >
                                > > > There are many of us in the business who cringe every time one of law
                                > enforcement's tools are 'outed' like that.
                                > > >
                                > > > Notice that the Avondale footage didn't show the actual car being used,
                                > only the footage of the 'perp' doing the deed.
                                > > >
                                > > > WalterH

                              • Walter Howard
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 27, 2009
                                  I was on a grand jury for 6 months back in NH.

                                  On the first day, the County Attorney told us, 'These guys aren't
                                  Einsteins. If they were, we wouldn't have caught them.'

                                  WalterH