Re: Using GPS to open systems?

  • Robin Wier
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2009
      --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, "faxon2002" <faxon2002@...> wrote:

      > Hi to all. Is anyone out there using the gps to open systems in AZ? I am very interested in setting the scanner up to do this however I have no idea where to start. Most interested in the phoenix regional system.
      > Anybody?
      > Thanks

      Been a while, but I have programed the BCD996T for GPS using ScanControl software (full function, paid version). It was a no-brainer, but it took a bit of time (you need to enter lat/long for center and enter the radius of coverage desired). You can enter several circles of interest for each freq/talk group, and they can overlap. I have circles all along routes connecting:

      Phx/Gila Bend/Yuma/San Diego/LA/Riverside/Redlands/Barstow/Las Vegas/Kingman/Wickenburg/Phx.

      Redlands/Indio/Blythe/Phx/Camp Verde/Flagstaff/Grand Canyon.

      With another radio and/or no Scan Control, I would be lost as to your question.

      However, i don't use it for Phx/Reg/Sys. That would only make sense to me if I was driving all over Maricopa County, 5 or more days of the week, then maybe so.
    • Robin Wier
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2009
        --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, "faxon2002" <faxon2002@...> wrote:

        > Hi to all. Is anyone out there using the gps to open systems in AZ? I am very interested in setting the scanner up to do this however I have no idea where to start. Most interested in the phoenix regional system.
        > Anybody?
        > Thanks

        Been a while, but I have programed the BCD996T for GPS using ScanControl software (full function, paid version). It was a no-brainer, but it took a bit of time (you need to enter lat/long for center and enter the radius of coverage desired). You can enter several circles of interest for each freq/talk group, and they can overlap. I have circles all along routes connecting:

        Phx/Gila Bend/Yuma/San Diego/LA/Riverside/Redlands/Barstow/Las Vegas/Kingman/Wickenburg/Phx.

        Redlands/Indio/Blythe/Phx/Camp Verde/Flagstaff/Grand Canyon.

        With another radio and/or no Scan Control, I would be lost as to your question.

        However, i don't use it for Phx/Reg/Sys. That would only make sense to me if I was driving all over Maricopa County, 5 or more days of the week, then maybe so.
      • m50steel
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2009
          --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, "faxon2002" <faxon2002@...> wrote:

          > Hi to all. Is anyone out there using the gps to open systems in AZ? I am very interested in setting the scanner up to do this however I have no idea where to start. Most interested in the phoenix regional system.
          > Anybody?
          > Thanks

          I set up the BCD996T using the Uniden software that came with it. I set up my systems based geographic area such as east valley, central, west, north, Payson, Prescott, Pinal, etc. I set up the groups based on police, fire, EMS, DPS, air ops. The GPS function did work but I found that just when I was listening to something interesting it would switch off. You either turn the car around or start messing with the 996T which is something you don't want to do while driving. I could have set up more area overlap but I found the way to have more control is to set up and use the Quick Keys. Believe me it took some determination to learn it, especially turning groups on and off. But once you figure it out, it's just like banks on the older scanners just a whole lot more of them. I keep a cheat sheet cause I can never remember the assigments. This way I decide when to switch geographic areas and I can listen until that interesting call fades out if I want.

          John
          KC7DLV
        • scott faxon
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2009
            Thanks, Not wanting to ride the coat tails of your hard work but are you willing to share your file? It would definitely give me a good place to start and to understand the methodology.Thanks in advance,
            Scott
            > Hi to all. Is anyone out there using the gps to open systems in AZ? I am very interested in setting the scanner up to do this however I have no idea where to start. Most interested in the phoenix regional system.

            > Anybody?

            > Thanks

            I set up the BCD996T using the Uniden software that came with it. I set up my systems based geographic area such as east valley, central, west, north, Payson, Prescott, Pinal, etc. I set up the groups based on police, fire, EMS, DPS, air ops. The GPS function did work but I found that just when I was listening to something interesting it would switch off. You either turn the car around or start messing with the 996T which is something you don't want to do while driving. I could have set up more area overlap but I found the way to have more control is to set up and use the Quick Keys. Believe me it took some determination to learn it, especially turning groups on and off. But once you figure it out, it's just like banks on the older scanners just a whole lot more of them. I keep a cheat sheet cause I can never remember the assigments. This way I decide when to switch geographic areas and I can listen until that interesting call fades out if I want.

            John

            KC7DLV
          • Mark West
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2009
              Much Luck to you.

              I did this for a month, and it drove me absoulty nuts! I'm a trucker and I had litterally hunderds of towers, talkgroups and conventional freqs-making me go through each site and attempting to figure out it's center and radious and if and where it overlapped with the next one then, praying that I had the proper users for a particuar site. Like in Colorado, this was a job. It worked-kind of. I had to go back and change a lot of range settings etc and finally came to the conclusion that loading the q-keys by county made much more sense to my operation then using the gps-I manually turn the q-keys off and on as I roll through county to county.

              Part of the problem, the major part is-I just don't have the time for the research involved. However, I think it's a wonderful addition to the the 996 for those who can use it.

              73

              Mark