Which scanner to recommend?

  • wlmr1001
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008
      Now that there are three P25 trunking sites (two on the PRWN system
      and one on what appears to be ASU's system) it is going to get harder
      to recommend a scanner. AFIK the Uniden 396 portable and 996 mobile
      and the GRE 500 and 600 are the only ones that can handle the full
      range from the County's 3600 baud, 800 MHz system to Glendale's 800
      MHz P25 system to the two systems above running both 800 MHz and
      700MHz P25.

      Of course Glendale and most of PRWN can be monitored via the Pro96
      portable and 2096 mobile and the Uniden 296 and 796 scanners.

      And to go back one step, the Uniden 250D portable can handle Maricopa
      County's system. (Is there a mobile version I'm overlooking?)

      Hopefully I've matched up the capabilities correctly, please correct
      any info that's wrong or add to the list. I know there are other
      scanners that can decode a P25 voice channel but I don't think they
      can track any type of trunking.
    • freqofnature_tracy
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2008
        --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, "wlmr1001" <wlmr1001@...> wrote:

        > Now that there are three P25 trunking sites (two on the PRWN system
        > and one on what appears to be ASU's system) it is going to get harder
        > to recommend a scanner. AFIK the Uniden 396 portable and 996 mobile
        > and the GRE 500 and 600 are the only ones that can handle the full
        > range from the County's 3600 baud, 800 MHz system to Glendale's 800
        > MHz P25 system to the two systems above running both 800 MHz and
        > 700MHz P25.
        >
        > Of course Glendale and most of PRWN can be monitored via the Pro96
        > portable and 2096 mobile and the Uniden 296 and 796 scanners.
        >
        > And to go back one step, the Uniden 250D portable can handle Maricopa
        > County's system. (Is there a mobile version I'm overlooking?)

        The BC785D is the mobile version of the BC250D.

        > Hopefully I've matched up the capabilities correctly, please correct
        > any info that's wrong or add to the list. I know there are other
        > scanners that can decode a P25 voice channel but I don't think they
        > can track any type of trunking.

        I can't think of any radio scanners that decode P25 voice without any trunk tracking capability. Kind of curious though. Can
        you list a few models?

        This would be a great project to compile a list of radio scanners with their capabilities related to specific local radio
        systems. Would be a very helpful FAQ to list here.

        Thanks,

        Tracy
        www.freqofnature.com
      • Chris F.
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2008
          As far as I know in regards to that, and it's been a long time since I've
          seen them,

          Is add-on boxes to things like the ICOM radios that decodes P25. I don't
          think you will
          find any that are separate, but some of the other members may be able to
          help.