Can anyone help me?

  • fredmartin55
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2007
      I just bought a Uniden BC 796D on ebay. Now I'm told that it will NOT
      work for the Phoenix PD because they use encrypted transmissions.
      Please tell me it ain't so.
      Fred
    • Jon M. Hanson
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
        fredmartin55 wrote:

        > I just bought a Uniden BC 796D on ebay. Now I'm told that it will NOT
        > work for the Phoenix PD because they use encrypted transmissions.
        > Please tell me it ain't so.
        > Fred

        No scanner will decode an encrypted transmission. The reason the one you
        bought won't decode Phoenix Police is because the 796 can't decode P25
        control channels with data speeds at 9600 baud, which is what the
        Phoenix Police uses. The 796 can decode P25 control channels with data
        speeds at 3600 baud. I think Maricopa County's control channel runs at
        3600 baud but I'm not completely sure about that.

        --
        Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
        Homepage: http://the-hansons-az.net

      • Scott West
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
          Jon,

          It's the BC785D that can only decode 3600 baud control channels. The BC796D
          can decode both 3600 and 9600 baud control channels.

          Fred,

          I'm only in the Phoenix area occasionally, but it looks like both the
          Southwest Frequency Directory and RadioReference indicates that Phoenix is
          using a lot of encryption. Look at the mode column at the following (D =
          Digital, E = Encryption):

          http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=2508

          You may want to pick up a copy of the Southwest Frequency Directory:

          http://www.scannerstuff.com/swfd.htm

          Someone local should be able to comment about Phoenix's use of encryption
          and what you can still receive that is not encrypted.

          Take care,
          Scott

          > I just bought a Uniden BC 796D on ebay. Now I'm told that it will NOT
          > work for the Phoenix PD because they use encrypted transmissions.
          > Please tell me it ain't so.
          > Fred

          No scanner will decode an encrypted transmission. The reason the one you
          bought won't decode Phoenix Police is because the 796 can't decode P25
          control channels with data speeds at 9600 baud, which is what the Phoenix
          Police uses. The 796 can decode P25 control channels with data speeds at
          3600 baud. I think Maricopa County's control channel runs at 3600 baud but
          I'm not completely sure about that.

          --
          Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
          Homepage: http://the-hansons-az.net
          Weblog: http://the-hansons-az.net/wordpress
          Jabber IM: jon@...
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
            Fred,

            Phoenix still has plenty to listen to, most of the encrypted stuff is
            Narcotics and other undercover ops! Still a lot of traffic there is
            Glendale Pd, Mesa, Mcso, that includes Avondale, Elmirage all digital and
            open comms for the most part, There is also a lot of analog trunking and
            conventional stuff in the clear.

            _____

            > I just bought a Uniden BC 796D on ebay. Now I'm told that it will NOT
            > work for the Phoenix PD because they use encrypted transmissions.
            > Please tell me it ain't so.
            > Fred

            No scanner will decode an encrypted transmission. The reason the one you
            bought won't decode Phoenix Police is because the 796 can't decode P25
            control channels with data speeds at 9600 baud, which is what the
            Phoenix Police uses. The 796 can decode P25 control channels with data
            speeds at 3600 baud. I think Maricopa County's control channel runs at
            3600 baud but I'm not completely sure about that.

            --
            Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
            Homepage: http://the-hansons- <http://the-hansons-az.net> az.net
            Weblog: http://the-hansons- <http://the-hansons-az.net/wordpress>
            az.net/wordpress
            Jabber IM: jon@the-hansons- <mailto:jon%40the-hansons-az.net> az.net

          • Jon M. Hanson
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
              I guess I was mistaken about the 796. I apologize for that. I have both
              the 396 and the 996 and they are fantastic scanners!

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 4, 2007
                Scott
                Thanks for the info on my new BC796D. Oh what a relief to know that
                it will work for me. I am going to stop by HRO and see if they have
                the Southwest Frequency Directory. I have one but I won't tell you
                how old it is. If they don't have one I will be ordering from
                scannerstuff (free shipping)yippee. I'm also going to order the arc
                250 butel software unless someone screems STOP. Thanks again for the
                info.
                Fred

                --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, "Scott West" <westsdad@...> wrote:

                > Jon,
                >
                > It's the BC785D that can only decode 3600 baud control channels.
                The BC796D
                > can decode both 3600 and 9600 baud control channels.
                >
                > Fred,
                >
                > I'm only in the Phoenix area occasionally, but it looks like both the
                > Southwest Frequency Directory and RadioReference indicates that
                Phoenix is
                > using a lot of encryption. Look at the mode column at the following
                (D =
                > Digital, E = Encryption):
                >
                > http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=2508
                >
                > You may want to pick up a copy of the Southwest Frequency Directory:
                >
                > http://www.scannerstuff.com/swfd.htm
                >
                > Someone local should be able to comment about Phoenix's use of
                encryption
                > and what you can still receive that is not encrypted.
                >
                > Take care,
                > Scott

              • fredmartin55
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 4, 2007
                  Thanks Mike. I've got a lot to learn about this scanner. I've had
                  scanners in the past and had some problems programming the 780xlt.
                  Well, I sort of got it programed. I wish they were as simple as the
                  old RS pro-2021 but they're not. I've been away from scanners and
                  more into shortwave for the past few years. Geeeze...talk groups,
                  control channels, type 1 and 2, and maybe 3. Ok, I've got to get back
                  into the book. Thanks for the info, I need all the help I can get.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 4, 2007
                    Jon
                    I sure am glad you were mistaken about my BC796D...that's the best
                    news I've had all day. Thanks though for getting back to me. Gotta
                    go read the book now.
                    Fred

                    --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, "Jon M. Hanson" <jon@...> wrote:

                    > fredmartin55 wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I just bought a Uniden BC 796D on ebay. Now I'm told that it will NOT
                    > > work for the Phoenix PD because they use encrypted transmissions.
                    > > Please tell me it ain't so.
                    > > Fred
                    > >

                    > No scanner will decode an encrypted transmission. The reason the one you
                    > bought won't decode Phoenix Police is because the 796 can't decode P25
                    > control channels with data speeds at 9600 baud, which is what the
                    > Phoenix Police uses. The 796 can decode P25 control channels with data
                    > speeds at 3600 baud. I think Maricopa County's control channel runs at
                    > 3600 baud but I'm not completely sure about that.
                    >

                    > --
                    > Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
                    > Homepage: http://the-hansons-az.net
                    > Weblog: http://the-hansons-az.net/wordpress
                    > Jabber IM: jon@...

                  • Dave McCormick
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 13, 2008
                      I was unable to find if this has been covered prior, so soory for a
                      repete if it has.

                      Does anyone know if the 9600 systems can be decoded by the older (796
                      type) P25 scanners if the scanner hits the conversation in non-trunked
                      scanning, just not following the conversation as a trunking scanner
                      would do? I know this might be a hard way to listen, but I was just
                      wondering if it does work.

                      Thanks,
                      Dave Mc.
                    • AAR9SM AAR9SM
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 14, 2008
                        The 296 and the 796 will decode P25 9600 baud unencrypted.AAR9SM

                        To: ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.comFrom: macdave@...: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:31:22 +0000Subject: [ArizonaScanner.com] P25 decoding (not trunked mode) question.