  • Danz, Dan
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 9, 2001
      You know, Kevin - you just explained something ..

      Yes, on our old consoles when we were in the basement we had an aircraft
      channel that we used to monitor. Ron, in particular, got a kick out of
      listening to the helo pilots chit chat.

      But since we moved upstairs, I don't hear anything on the channel anymore.
      The Westside console operator monitors it, and I know I've had it turned up
      on nights when I work that console, and I haven't heard anything on it,
      ever.

      My records, from several years back - from going thru the FCC licenses in
      radio - show WLQ5 as being on 123.100 and it's called Search and Rescue.

      So, one of three things here:

      1) We have the right frequency, but since the helo guys got off of it,
      there's not much traffic.
      2) We're monitoring the wrong frequency, and should switch to 123.025
      3) The connection to the new consoles doesn't work.

      I never did understand why we needed to monitor the helo coordination stuff,
      but I sure can understand why we might need the SAR frequency.

      L. W. "Dan" Danz Radio Dispatcher/9-1-1 Operator
      Maricopa County Sheriff's Office (MCSO)
      Phoenix AZ 85003 USA mailto:L_Danz@...
      *Opinions expressed are my own. I do not speak
      *for MCSO or any of the staff of MCSO.

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9, 2001
        Most likely the first reason, Dan. 123.10 was the chit-chat channel
        till everyone moved off of it and onto 123.025. Now, it's there for
        it's intended nationwide use, SAR. I've actually heard helo's calling
        "MCSO Radio" in the past on 123.10. Don't recall what for, or if I
        could hear the dispatcher reply.

        We probably shouldn't rule out #3 however. Maybe someone could get
        Fox 1 to do a radio check on that frequency some time? It would at
        least confirm that it still works at the consoles. (And maybe give us
        folks a chance to listen in. *grin*)

        John H. Guetherman
        KB7MIB/KAE7927/KAZ7FA
        Peoria

        --- In ArizonaScanner@y..., "Danz, Dan" <ddanz@p...> wrote:
        > You know, Kevin - you just explained something ..
        >
        > Yes, on our old consoles when we were in the basement we had an
        aircraft channel that we used to monitor. Ron, in particular, got a
        kick out of listening to the helo pilots chit chat.

        > But since we moved upstairs, I don't hear anything on the channel
        anymore. The Westside console operator monitors it, and I know I've
        had it turned up on nights when I work that console, and I haven't
        heard anything on it, ever.

        > My records, from several years back - from going thru the FCC
        licenses in radio - show WLQ5 as being on 123.100 and it's called
        Search and Rescue.

        > So, one of three things here:
        >
        > 1) We have the right frequency, but since the helo guys got off of
        it, there's not much traffic.
        > 2) We're monitoring the wrong frequency, and should switch to
        123.025
        > 3) The connection to the new consoles doesn't work.
        >
        > I never did understand why we needed to monitor the helo
        coordination stuff, but I sure can understand why we might need the
        SAR frequency.

        > L. W. "Dan" Danz Radio Dispatcher/9-1-1 Operator
        > Maricopa County Sheriff's Office (MCSO)
        > Phoenix AZ 85003 USA mailto:L_Danz@m...
        > *Opinions expressed are my own. I do not speak
        > *for MCSO or any of the staff of MCSO.

      • Michael Todd
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2001
          123.100 belongs to the Civil Air Patrol. For many years helicopter pilots
          used this frequency as the air-air chat channel.

          They have now all switched to 123.025. Every helicopter in the sky
          typically monitors this frequency while flying in the area.

          Phx PD has a company frequency, but you will here them talking to each other
          mostly on 123.025 also.
          There is so much radio traffic and frequency changing that the helos have to
          do, it easier to just stay put on one freq for air to air stuff.

          123.025 can be quite active at times ... especially when you are close to a
          bad accident that has media and medical helos near it.

          Hope that helps

          Mike

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 26, 2001
            Mike,

            I didn't understand what your message was replying to because I didn't see
            an original from Dan Danz today that discussed 123.1. Then I noticed Dan's
            messsage was dated last April. :)

            Anyway, here's the federal regulation pertaining to 123.100. It doesn't
            really "belong" to CAP... it is a NTIA (National Telecommunications and
            Information Administration, a federal agency), but obviously the CAP is one
            of the primary users of the frequency, since they do most Search & Rescue
            operations (where S&R relates to downed aircraft, not like S&R in terms of a
            missing hiker stuck on a cliff with a broken ankle). Note that 122.9 can be
            used for S&R or training, but 123.1 for real S&R ops only.

            CFR 47 Sec. 87.375 Frequencies.
            (a) The frequency 123.100 MHz is available for assignment to
            aeronautical search and rescue stations for actual search and rescue
            missions. Each search and rescue station must be equipped to operate on this
            frequency. (b) The frequency 122.900 MHz is available for assignment to
            aeronautical search and rescue stations for organized search and rescue
            training and for practice search and rescue missions.

            Dan Danz, 123.100 is likely more appropriate for your MCSO consoles now than
            ever, since it truly is back to being reserved for searching for downed
            aircraft, as opposed to helicopter chit chat daily. Mike is certainly right
            on that!

            Dan Rollman

[...]

            ***ALL NEW SOUTHWEST FREQUENCY DIRECTORY UPDATE BOOK available!***
            Get it now at http://www.scannerstuff.com

            ArizonaScanner mailing list: radio scanner Q's and info for all of
            Arizona. No for sale items; stay on topic; Be respectful.
            For more ARIZONA SCANNER INFO: http://www.scannerstuff.com